Flat wound vs round wound strings

I’ve never used anything except round wound. Sorry to of zero help.

3 Likes

And… you made fun of gloves!

Wow… has someone checked the current temperature in that Place Below?? :thinking:

6 Likes

Back in the days when I worked for Ziff Davis publishing on the computer magazines, there was a well known memo that we all joked about, which Bill Gates of Microsoft had sent to all the product managers. At the time, Netscape was pretty much the predominant web browser.
I don’t recall the exact words of the memo, but the essence of it was something like this:

“This internet thing is a boondoggle. I don’t want anyone wasting time developing apps for it.”

The rest is history!

I hereby retract my statements regarding round wounds, slapping, and wearing gloves. :rofl:

10 Likes

So happy to hear this. I like it so much, and I am glad you will at least give it a chance.

And I bet you will do great.

3 Likes

Waiting for you to retract statements about not wanting anything to do with groups on Zoom.

May be a little while, but I sense it will happen.

P.s. I will never say “I told you so”

2 Likes

Well folks, it didn’t take long… I switched back from round wounds to tape wounds on my Yamaha BB235. I put the rounds on because I was going to use this bass for slapping, but I really don’t care that much for slapping anyway. Sorry all you round wound lovers :hugs: , I just hate those things. I don’t care how “Bright” they sound, I can’t stand the feeling of those barbed wire strings under my fingers. I can make whatever adjustments I need on the amp or in the Zoom effects processor. If my bass playing isn’t “bright” enough, so be it :rofl: :rofl:

I now have tape wounds on both my fretless and fretted bass. I’m happy. :smile_cat:

4 Likes

In the end… that is all that matters :smile:

8 Likes

Mind you, I’m not contesting your decision here. Jörg is right – if it makes you happy, job done. But I am curious about this:

I’ve always been playing roundwound exclusively, and I don’t recognise that at all! Does it hurt? Does it chafe the skin?
Because, for me, playing rounds or flats makes no difference in physical discomfort. The only thing that hurts my wimpy fingertips is playing the guitar, because man, those strings are thin like blades!

9 Likes

You use Black Beauty’s, right?
I am pretty sure, I beleive I got some after seeing how cool they looked on your bass, and I wanted to put them on my Orange Ibanez cuz the black looked bad ass (isn’t that the goal of us Bass Buzzers, to be and look bad ass after all).
Plus I wanted to try something other then round wounds.

I don’t think they sound dull, I like the sound.
My fingers are so calloused by now, I don’t mind rounds, but I do like the feel of the tapes too.

Most important tho, why I replied to your post tho, is this.

I slap my tape wounds, it’s just fine.

3 Likes

Rounds are rough feeling, like corduroy. I can’t stand touching corduroy, it gives me chills, like nails on a chalkboard.
Playing rounds feels like I’m fondling someone who’s wearing corduroy trousers.

4 Likes

@T_dub I use these…
Black nylon. Yes, they look badass on my basses!

2 Likes

Ok, mine are a lil different, I have Black Beauties.
Think they are ground and coated, not tape. I may give those a try on one of the other Basses tho

1 Like

Put that way, I think I can relate a little better to your dislike of rounds, @PamPurrs :slight_smile:

I don’t feel that way myself, though . . . rounds are what I’ve always used (although I have tried other types in the past). They don’t bother me with any rough feeling, etc. I definitely like that bright, trebly, ‘John Entwistle’ tone, so that must be why! :wink:

Cheers, Joe

3 Likes

I’ve never used anything but round wounds. Hmmmmmm…

2 Likes

I know… you have stated that previously :smile_cat:

1 Like

… okay. I, um…
On second thought, ahem, let’s not go there.

3 Likes

Awww come on @peterhuppertz, you’ve never been known to hold back on a witty remark :rofl:

4 Likes

I have tried everything to come up with a repartee that was funnier than it was just downright lewd, but I failed.

3 Likes

@peterhuppertz I have actually had nightmares in which I walked into a club and everyone was wearing corduroy. You think leather bars are rough? Try a corduroy bar.

8 Likes

The 70s must have been a horrible decade for you :sweat_smile:

6 Likes