Flatwound Curious

When I put my TI flats on my 54P, I plucked a note (not even sure which note). It sounded so bell-like I actually had to check my Boss GT1B to make sure I did not have it on the setting that sounds like a piano note or bell. It was so melodious and bright it sounded odd at first. I was honestly astounded for a second or two. I had never heard such clear fundamentals on any bass. It was so crystalline clear and bell like it was shocking. It may have been more to do with that particular bass and pickup in combination with the strings. But it sounds so good that even though I bought a new Stingray Special, I still reach for the 54P first on many occasions. The build quality, feel and tone of that instrument is the best I have in my little collection. I am about to receive a set of TI Jazz rounds today. My other Ray has them and they are perfect and I am hoping they will enhance the new one I have as much.

How did you have to adjust your playing style for the flats though?

2 Likes

Low tension requires a lighter touch. You can go faster with less clank and buzz. But you may have to raise the string height just a touch

I play with a light touch 90% of the time.

After a slight truss rod tweak, switching from D’A Chromes to TI Jazz flats was a. very quick swap. No need to change my plucking attack.

Love me some TIs.

1 Like

The rounds are actually lower tension. I’m putting some on my Stingray Special. They get here tomorrow

1 Like

Yep, that tracks. Flats are naturally stiffer than rounds, with gauge being equal. .

1 Like

TI flats have less tension than normal rounds.

2 Likes

Do you think that makes it easier to fret?

2 Likes

No question, it does. And bend

3 Likes

I got my Jazz rounds. One tweak on truss rod wheel to compensate for the low tension. Raised action slightly to get rid of buzz. Intonation was spot on. Tuned it up, and it sounds wondrous. Damn, these are some great strings.

1 Like

Not sure if anyone has used Strings and Beyond, but they are running 10% off TI’s right now with code THI10, and they ship out of NC. No shipping or tax for me in Florida.

1 Like

Has anyone tried the TI Powerbass set? I might have to take advantage of this

I haven’t tried them, but started looking into them because I am interested in replacing the steel rounds that came on a couple of my German basses.

Just want to say I amuse myself on occasion. I’m dyslexic; my brain keeps telling me the thread is titled “Flatwound Circus”

It does fit

5 Likes

Strings and Beyond is where I get all my TI strings. Great prices and service. :+1:

And no sales tax for Texas. Woohoo!

2 Likes

I’ll second Strings and beyond.
I’m in Canada and could not find the Aquila Thunder Browns anywhere except there. It was a decent price, even with shipping.

When I had problems with the strings they sent me a whole new set without hesitation.

Small shop, and it shows.

3 Likes

Just received my TI flats order. I was going to install myself, just like I do normal rounds, and then do a setup on the bass. Any caveats?

1 Like

Only that the ‘silk’ is the only part that wants to be wrapped around the post. Not the actual string. That’s it.

1 Like

Thanks @Barney

2 Likes

Well… it depends :sweat_smile:
If you pick the right length, the silk should start before the post, unless you go for GHS Precision Flatwounds. Those are 38" and there is no way to get that situation (unless your bass is really longscale).

2 Likes