Flatwounds P-Bass Only or My J-Bass Too?

They’re my favorite strings I have tried so far. That said I do still have a set of Peter Hook signature Bass Centre Elites to try.

3 Likes

Sounds a bit fancy…lol

3 Likes

Not expensive at all and he’s my hero, so… :slight_smile:

3 Likes

You opened a can of worms with that post @howard !
Look what you made me google! :joy:

5 Likes

Sweet!

3 Likes

Hi JD- I had the same question about a month ago. I went with the Labella flat wounds on my Fender P bass and it’s like playing a new bass. I love the feel of the strings themselves and the tone is great. I am hooked on flat wounds. Take care

4 Likes

Thanks @Keith or the feedback. The LaBella’s will be here tomorrow. I am still undecided whether to put them on my P Bass as originally planned or my J Bass (as my Sweetwater tech encouraged). Like I said in another reply, I guess I will get another set (for the J Bass or the P - depending on which way I go) soon if I like them.

And, as someone else suggested, keeping a Bass with rounds on it (for some diversity), I will keep one bass (my Schecter) with rounds on it.

3 Likes

Awesome. Good luck and enjoy

4 Likes

Got the La Bella’s…

I put them on my Precision as I originally planned and REALLY like them!!

Played La Grange, Song for My Father, and even 7 Nation Army and they really sounded great.

Guess I’ll be like @PamPurrs and put them on everything. :grin: I already emailed my Sweetwater rep and asked him to get me another set on order for my Jazz.

And, I will do as @Mao suggested and leave the roundwounds on something (will be my Schecter) for some diversity.

Thanks everyone for the input!

9 Likes

Congrats @JDDaniel you will love the sound.

BTW, the song I just posted in the Post your Covers is on LaBella flats.

5 Likes

Which set of LaBellas did you get. I tried the Deep Talkin’ 760FL and found the E string to be lifeless and dull. Took them right off and put back on my Fender 9050L flatwounds 45-100. I find those to be the perfect blend of old school flats and moderns. They have great punch and good mids without sounding thuddy. And they are around $28.

4 Likes

You must have gotten a defective string. I’ve been playing LaBella DTB flats for a year and a half and they sound great (including the E string).
LaBella has great customer service… you should let them know about your issues.

4 Likes

I got the 760FS Deep Talk’n Flats. They sound good to me (albeit to ny untrained ear).

4 Likes

Just an FYI - yes, you are correct
Hybrid Slinky’s ARE NOT Flatwound.
The Hybrid is the gauge of strings
.45-.65-.85-.105
But the Hybrid are RoundWound strings, at least all the ones I have seen, I have not come across a flatwound that is hybrid

I like Slinky strings, always have since playing guitar 20 plus years ago, and I have been very happy with them on bass too.
However, I just put the Flat wound Slinky’s on my Ray34, and I don’t really like them. I have not taken them off yet, since I ended up sick and in the hospital, but I already ordered the replacement Regular Gauge Slinky’s for it once I feel up to it, I am changing back to rounds.
and this is just MY prefereence, I know that many out there like ONLY Flats, some out there like ONLY Rounds, and others like a mix of flats and rounds.

This on one of the things that falls into the category of “there is no right or wrong answer, it is what you like”

7 Likes

Yeah I think Hybrid is just a term EBMM uses as well. D’Addario would list something like that as “Light top, medium bottom”

incidentally, these are my favorite rounds I have tried yet.

7 Likes

Yeah, I think the Hybrids will be the next string I buy, just don’t need to buy any now, but I think I would like the light top, so will be fun to try one day.

5 Likes

Weirdly my next strings have a heavy top, looking forward to trying them. But like you, my current set is still all good.

6 Likes