Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Awesome job Lanny @Lanny
Real nice tone and such a cool dude :sunglasses: :+1:
The Scorps come from my hometown and although iĀ“m not a fan i deeply respect what they achieved

7 Likes

Great first cover song for the new bass. Did the setup perform as you expected?

5 Likes

Thanks all!! Iā€™m pleased with the tones Iā€™m able to get from this bass and am happy with the way it plays and feels. Having the ability to adjust pickup height for each string is a really great feature of the P bass coils. Iā€™ve messed around with these settings on my other PJ and with the Squire P with fairly decent results but nothing as noticeably obvious as what I was able to achieve from this Pā€¦ Maybe the the DR Pure Blues nickel core round wounds that I put on helped play into it a bit tooā€¦

@JerryP - Yes, a total inspection and full set up helped quite a bit. When I picked this bass up at the Macon GC, I only played a couple scales to get a feel for how it actually felt in my hands. Although it sounded good, I knew I should be able to make it sound and respond much better. The only other thing I really look at is the relationship of the neck to the strings - looking for any signs of neck twist. Everything else is adjustable so I donā€™t spend a lot if time playing on it until I set it up the way I like - otherwise Iā€™ll just get frustratedšŸ¤Ø.

@russki98 - Put my banjo there just for you!!:rofl::rofl:. Thought it might raise an eyebrowā€¦:joy::joy:

6 Likes

Thanks for thinking of me @Lannyā€¦ Iā€™d love to show you what I came up with to go with that banjo tune but the Capitalists wont let me due to ā€œCopywrongā€ or something.

3 Likes

Also nice P bass @Lanny, looks like itā€™s teal in colour. Same as my Stingray. ( I just noticed that thereā€™s a spell check red line under ā€œcolourā€ā€¦ Iā€™m not changing it, just coz you Mericans canā€™t spell ā€¦ Thatā€™s the Queenā€™s English right there! ā€¦hehehe)

5 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: Totally agree @russki98!! Been arguing that same point for yearsā€¦ Everyone (Especially all us all down here in the Southern States) know that itā€™s spelt ā€œKU-LERā€!! No ā€œRed Lineā€ under that spellingā€¦ :joy: :joy:

Actually Fender refers to it as ā€œTurquoiseā€. One of their Special Edition Pā€™s offered in this KU-LERā€¦ :rofl:

Keep on Thumpinā€™!
Lanny

4 Likes

I chose to learn this song and record a cover of it, not so much because of the challenge, but because I simply think this is one of the most beautiful blues ballads ever (I hope I didnā€™t screw it up too badly).
Itā€™s 6:12 long, which accomplished a couple things for me: (1) I proved to myself I could learn a song by ear (2) proved, even at my age, I could memorize a long song (3) proved, at my age, I could stand and play a song for over 6 minutes.

Please watch the entire video as I pay a tribute to Gary Moore during his incredible guitar solo at the end.

Still Got the Blues
Gary Moore

Bass played on a Yamaha BB735 with LaBella flatwounds.
PEDALS: Compressor, Tube Screamer, and Reverb.
https://pampurrs.com/pam_s_music/still-got-the-blues/

21 Likes

thatā€™s a lot of archivements @PamPurrs ! also with this green screen effect you pushed the video covers to another level :grin:

6 Likes

@terb are you suggesting you donā€™t believe I magically appeared in the middle of a deserted street and started playing? :smile_cat:

8 Likes

you know @PamPurrs here weā€™re in lockdown again, so seing someone in a street automatically looks like a special effect :joy:

8 Likes

Great job @PamPurrs Pam! Great video production as well. What did you use to remove the original bass line from the recording?
Really enjoyed it. Thanks!

5 Likes

:joy: :rofl: :joy: :rofl:

3 Likes

Thank you @JerryPā€¦

@gcancella originally removed the bass for me using RX7. I was so impressed with what that software can do, I bought it myself (Now RX8). Now I can bombard the forum with my covers :scream: :scream:

10 Likes

Hi Pam @PamPurrs,
Great cover of a great song.
Loved the tone from your bassā€‹:+1:and you looked very relaxed :sunglasses:
Really enjoyed your production with the virtual backgrounds throughout the video.
Only thing I think you could add is a description of your bass ,strings, set up etc.
Cant wait to see your next cover.
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Thanks Brian @TNKA36,

I did mention those things in my original post.

5 Likes

Hi Pam,
I just scrolled back to your post and noticed thatšŸ¤­
My apologies, you did an excellent job of the whole cover process.
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

I get a bit excited when someone posts a cover, I get attracted to the bright orange writing for the link, then go back and read the storyšŸ˜Ž
Cheers Brian

6 Likes

ā€¦ looking relaxed is a miracle in itself Brian @b.s.excavationsā€¦

I set up the green screen last night with the intention of shooting this morning, but I couldnā€™t sleep all night thinking about itā€¦ the song (mostly bassline) kept playing over and over again in my head). I gave up and got up at 0300, and after several cups of coffee and a shower, I shot the video at 0430. Post production took about 2 hours.

6 Likes

Isnā€™t recording yourself doing a cover an amazing experience, I have had many sleepless nights thinking about all those same things etc,
And when you finish it and do the production it takes on a whole new life, you begin to look at it and think am I happy with it, could I have done a better job of this and that,:thinking:
I think a recorded ā€œlasted so longā€ at least 50 times before being happy with itšŸ˜”I shoot the video and record the song together, so if I make a mistake I delete and start again
I donā€™t mind though because itā€™s all good practice.

5 Likes

so true! Iā€™ve been studying and practicing like a mad woman for nearly a year and a half and have learned a lot. But nothing has accelerated my development as much as learning songs and recording them.

6 Likes