New Year's resolutions (2021)

Well you typed mine! I’m with you.

10 Likes

Same, plus hopefully some original music :slight_smile:

9 Likes

My New Years resolution is to f-ing smash it!! I will dedicate more of my time and effort than I ever have before to seriously play so much better. I have reached all of the goals I ever wanted to with my career (aviation) so now it’s time to focus on becoming a true Badass on the bass. Ok, not the @JoshFossgreen level but I’m committed to be as good as I can be. Maybe my son Lucas will give Josh a run for his money in time. He’s 7 years old and I bought him a Squire mini bass for Christmas and he’s just lapping up the lessons that Dad gives him everyday.
(I had to give Lucas his present early this year because he couldn’t reach the F and G on the E string of my bass)

9 Likes

Okay, I said I won’t post any new resolutions (since I haven’t even done the ones from years past) so how about some 2021 goals instead. Here’s a couple I have in mind:

• Learn at least one new song per month (and record a cover)

• Play more with other humans, perhaps even get with a group and play gigs.

• Finish the Sight Reading course on TalkingBass. It’s an extremely long and comprehensive course, and I’m only as far as halfway through level 3 (there are 6 levels, and Mark is working on adding more).

• Work more on ear training and improve upon my “playing by ear” skill.

I’m sure there are more, but these are on the top of my list.

12 Likes

Good for you, Pam @PamPurrs . . . those are some pretty lofty goals :+1:

Your new avatar looks good, too! :wink:

Cheers, Joe

7 Likes

Thanks @Jazzbass19 Joe , it’s a snag from my cover of Still Got the Blues. It wasn’t intentional when I made the video, but it almost appears that I’m on stage with Gary Morris (which is strange, considering he passed away 8 years before I started playing bass).
Still got the Blues with Gary

8 Likes

It is very well done - could have fooled anyone!! Also, this Gary Morris guy is doing a damn good Gary Moore impression :rofl:

7 Likes

My son is 8 and is taking guitar lessons. Maybe some day Owen and Lucas will be in a kickass band that tops the charts and makes the kind of money that will allow their dads to retire into the luxurious lifestyles they deserve.

7 Likes

My bass goals for 2021 are:

1. Finally finish the Beginner to Badass Course
  2. Total 225 practice sessions (which, if my math is correct, would be an average of between 4/5 sessions per week)
  3. Play with at least one other real live human being (in addition to my son)
8 Likes

My main goal for 2021 is to join a band, or to find some like-minded musicians and form a band. I do enjoy my solo practice and playing along to songs, but I think collaborating with other musicians is what is needed to really boost my playing to the next level at this point. I tried jamming with a couple random guitarists not long after finishing B2B, and it was a pretty big wake-up call that my skills were not as developed as I thought they were from playing alone in my basement. Now after a few more months of practice I feel much more prepared. Hopefully this cloud over live music clears up soon and leads to some opportunities.

Oh and also to make it through Jon Liebman’s 52-week “Bass Aerobics” book of exercises.

10 Likes

I’ve already started with it - get back into regular practice.
It doesn’t have to be extensive training.
I just want to relive my old rule when I had more time on my hands: It does not matter how long but pick up that bass daily.

I also want to revisit the bass buzz course by doing it together with my father. I think it’ll be fun and will also good to cement what I learned and clean up my playing.

Of course I also want to learn the remaining songs of my band but that’s more of a given than a new years resolution. I hope we can get back to band practice again but as it is not in my hands that’s also not a resolution.

10 Likes

Now that sounds like a plan Mike!!

3 Likes

-My aim is to do some more covers
-tackle some more difficult songs with 16th note progressions
-practice more

• continue to learn the bagpipes
    Cheers Brian
11 Likes

Ambitious!

Remembered this thread today… How’s everyone doing on their 2021 goals and resolutions?

I’ve improved my 16th note accuracy to the point where I can play the odd 16th note here and there, and no longer have to instantly skip songs that have 16th notes in them. Speed is still not quite there yet unfortunately… That one song I want(ed) to learn is still out of reach.

Regarding the second bass - well, you probably know how that went. It was bumpy, but I’m very happy with the basses I ended up with.

2 Likes

I had two:

1. Get back into cycling, and…
  2. Get back into playing music.

Let’s start with #2. Obviously I’m here and going through the B2B course and playing bass all the time. So… well done, Tim!

On to #1. I’ve been a bicyclist for almost all my life. From sanctioned BMX racing through high school to road cycling and mountain biking in my adult years.

The long and short of the resolution was this: I started getting gun-shy about road cycling. I’d been hit by a car and taken some spills, and as the years went on I got more and more nervous about being on the road. So this year I sold off the last of my road cycling stuff and got a 29" hard MTB and some upgrades for it. There’s a MTB trail not too far from my house, and I figured I’d work regular rides into my schedule.

Well, that latter part never really happened. So I’m all set to follow through on #2, but I haven’t done it yet.

5 Likes

Should get yourself a wahoo kicker @JustTim ,
That’s what I use, safer than riding the streets :+1:
Cheers Brian

1 Like

I achieved mine but I need to go for the stretch goal still :rofl:

3 Likes

a what the what now?

2 Likes

Did not go well.
I think this is going to be my 2022 resolution also.
And then I’m going to keep carrying it over year after year until I get it.

5 Likes