Post your covers! (2019-2022)

Great first cover song for the new bass. Did the setup perform as you expected?

5 Likes

Thanks all!! I’m pleased with the tones I’m able to get from this bass and am happy with the way it plays and feels. Having the ability to adjust pickup height for each string is a really great feature of the P bass coils. I’ve messed around with these settings on my other PJ and with the Squire P with fairly decent results but nothing as noticeably obvious as what I was able to achieve from this P… Maybe the the DR Pure Blues nickel core round wounds that I put on helped play into it a bit too…

@JerryP - Yes, a total inspection and full set up helped quite a bit. When I picked this bass up at the Macon GC, I only played a couple scales to get a feel for how it actually felt in my hands. Although it sounded good, I knew I should be able to make it sound and respond much better. The only other thing I really look at is the relationship of the neck to the strings - looking for any signs of neck twist. Everything else is adjustable so I don’t spend a lot if time playing on it until I set it up the way I like - otherwise I’ll just get frustrated🤨.

@russki98 - Put my banjo there just for you!!:rofl::rofl:. Thought it might raise an eyebrow…:joy::joy:

6 Likes

Thanks for thinking of me @Lanny… I’d love to show you what I came up with to go with that banjo tune but the Capitalists wont let me due to “Copywrong” or something.

3 Likes

Also nice P bass @Lanny, looks like it’s teal in colour. Same as my Stingray. ( I just noticed that there’s a spell check red line under “colour”… I’m not changing it, just coz you Mericans can’t spell … That’s the Queen’s English right there! …hehehe)

5 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: Totally agree @russki98!! Been arguing that same point for years… Everyone (Especially all us all down here in the Southern States) know that it’s spelt “KU-LER”!! No “Red Line” under that spelling… :joy: :joy:

Actually Fender refers to it as “Turquoise”. One of their Special Edition P’s offered in this KU-LER… :rofl:

Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

4 Likes

I chose to learn this song and record a cover of it, not so much because of the challenge, but because I simply think this is one of the most beautiful blues ballads ever (I hope I didn’t screw it up too badly).
It’s 6:12 long, which accomplished a couple things for me: (1) I proved to myself I could learn a song by ear (2) proved, even at my age, I could memorize a long song (3) proved, at my age, I could stand and play a song for over 6 minutes.

Please watch the entire video as I pay a tribute to Gary Moore during his incredible guitar solo at the end.

Still Got the Blues
Gary Moore

Bass played on a Yamaha BB735 with LaBella flatwounds.
PEDALS: Compressor, Tube Screamer, and Reverb.
https://pampurrs.com/pam_s_music/still-got-the-blues/

21 Likes

that’s a lot of archivements @PamPurrs ! also with this green screen effect you pushed the video covers to another level :grin:

6 Likes

@terb are you suggesting you don’t believe I magically appeared in the middle of a deserted street and started playing? :smile_cat:

8 Likes

you know @PamPurrs here we’re in lockdown again, so seing someone in a street automatically looks like a special effect :joy:

8 Likes

Great job @PamPurrs Pam! Great video production as well. What did you use to remove the original bass line from the recording?
Really enjoyed it. Thanks!

5 Likes

:joy: :rofl: :joy: :rofl:

3 Likes

Thank you @JerryP

@gcancella originally removed the bass for me using RX7. I was so impressed with what that software can do, I bought it myself (Now RX8). Now I can bombard the forum with my covers :scream: :scream:

10 Likes

Hi Pam @PamPurrs,
Great cover of a great song.
Loved the tone from your bass​:+1:and you looked very relaxed :sunglasses:
Really enjoyed your production with the virtual backgrounds throughout the video.
Only thing I think you could add is a description of your bass ,strings, set up etc.
Cant wait to see your next cover.
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Thanks Brian @TNKA36,

I did mention those things in my original post.

5 Likes

Hi Pam,
I just scrolled back to your post and noticed that🤭
My apologies, you did an excellent job of the whole cover process.
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

I get a bit excited when someone posts a cover, I get attracted to the bright orange writing for the link, then go back and read the story😎
Cheers Brian

6 Likes

… looking relaxed is a miracle in itself Brian @b.s.excavations

I set up the green screen last night with the intention of shooting this morning, but I couldn’t sleep all night thinking about it… the song (mostly bassline) kept playing over and over again in my head). I gave up and got up at 0300, and after several cups of coffee and a shower, I shot the video at 0430. Post production took about 2 hours.

6 Likes

Isn’t recording yourself doing a cover an amazing experience, I have had many sleepless nights thinking about all those same things etc,
And when you finish it and do the production it takes on a whole new life, you begin to look at it and think am I happy with it, could I have done a better job of this and that,:thinking:
I think a recorded “lasted so long” at least 50 times before being happy with it😡I shoot the video and record the song together, so if I make a mistake I delete and start again
I don’t mind though because it’s all good practice.

5 Likes

so true! I’ve been studying and practicing like a mad woman for nearly a year and a half and have learned a lot. But nothing has accelerated my development as much as learning songs and recording them.

6 Likes

I agree, getting involved on this forum and sharing thoughts and ideas has given me more satisfaction and drive to improve my playing and I feel as though I have come out of the closet with being able to share my covers on here.
It definitely adds a whole new dimension to us as individuals.

5 Likes