Post your practice fragments!

Well @Sachelis you said at the start of this you wanted to lower the bar… :')

I’m just over half way through the B2B course at the moment, so I can’t really “play” anything yet other than the riffs from the workouts and some scale improvs. Thought I’d test the water with the cliche beginner tune Feel Good Inc. I’m actually a few lessons away from doing that in the course but quickly checked it for the rests. I’m also playing it a bit higher on the neck as I thought it sounded better…

It’s only short as I just couldn’t hold it together much more for the recording.
Feel free to criticise, I still have much to learn :joy:

8 Likes

Thanks for posting, @renouf! That’s what this thread is for: posting stuff we’re working on and riffs from the course are perfect!

4 Likes

Nice work @renouf,
You have nice tone, and your fingering on both hands looks relaxed👍
Keep up the good work😎
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Hi @dualspiral66,
Nice rich tone from your bass👍
Some good string crossing, and index,middle finger work.
You just need to work on getting your pinky to join the party instead of it hanging out in the breeze.
This will come with practice, I did see a training aid in another thread that you can use to build strength in your fingers.
I think Pam @PamPurrs posted a pic or link to it👍
This could really help you in that area😎
Keep up the good work.
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Thank you for the comment @TNKA36 !
I’m super happy with the range of tones I can get from this, really enjoy the warmer sound when plucking nearer the neck.

I’ll be coming back to this thread. I hope it can keep gaining some traction for more to join in!!

6 Likes

This is the cover that I have been working on for the past few days. I’m learning this entirely by ear with no score and no chord sheet. It’s taking me a long time, but it’s great ear training and I think when I’m finished I’ll be pleased with the product. I plan to shoot a video of me playing the entire 6:10 when I finally get it all down.

Still got the Blues, by Gary Moore
Played on Yamaha BB735
LaBella Deep Talking Bass flat wound strings

Here’s the first 2 minutes
Still needs some work, but it’s acceptable for now.
https://pampurrs.com/pam_s_music/still-got-the-blues/

** UPDATE: I did finish this song and posted it on the Post your Covers thread **

11 Likes

@PamPurrs

Really impressive work Pam. Love the tone, and one of those songs where the space in between the notes makes you really feel the groove of the bass. Can’t imagine trying to pick that much out by ear. I’m not there yet!

6 Likes

Awesome job @PamPurrs
One of my all time favourites and one of the best guitarists in the world .

5 Likes

Yeah I love this song, and yes Gary Moore is an awesome guitarist. I can only hope my finished baseline will be worthy.

4 Likes

I’m sure it will be @PamPurrs

3 Likes

Nice tone Pam, @PamPurrs,
And great song to cover.
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Hi Pam, @PamPurrs, Gary Moore was a great guitarist :+1:
Oh pretty woman also has a really cool bass line, I get a sore hand Playing it​:woozy_face:, I think I need to toughen up a bit.:sunglasses:
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Good job @renouf! Great tone on the bass. How was that recorded?
Keep up the good work and enjoy the course.

5 Likes

That was great @PamPurrs! You can feel the blues in that bass line. I can’t wait to hear the whole song when you get it done. :blush:

5 Likes

@JerryP thank you :slight_smile: Wasn’t able to crank the volume up too loud at that time so just rested my phone on the amp and switched to the front camera… :sweat_smile: My laptop has a terrible built in mic but later down the line I will most likely invest in a proper audio interface!

And @PamPurrs that was so cool! Lots of control for a slower bassline, really clean too. Sounds like it’s coming along nicely :slight_smile:

5 Likes

@TNKA36 Brian Funny you mentioned that song. Oh Pretty Woman was the very first song I started to learn over a year ago, but never finished. I still play those opening lines as one of my warm up routines. Yes, it’s definitely a workout for the hands.

One of these days I’ll get back to it and record it.

4 Likes

Hi Pam, @PamPurrs, I have that song transcribed if you want the complete chart, let me know👍
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Thanks, but I already have it, I did it last year.

4 Likes

Almost posted this in the “Originals” thread but figured it belonged here since it was really just a practice jam with repeating riffs.

I don’t play guitar, but my son has an old Gretsch that has been sitting forever covered in dust, so for some reason last night, I cleaned it up a bit and got it tuned. I googled “easy chords for beginners” and spent about 20 min with moderate success, but eventually found myself playing single note stuff similar to what I do with bass. I plugged in a distortion pedal, added some reverb, and suddenly it was: “Whoa I like this surf sound!”

Recorded a sloppy track over some drums, then went back and added some bass and two tracks of keys. May not go any further with it to develop into a song, but it certainly has peaked my interest in guitar. I will probably try to learn some basic guitar stuff moving forward- but of course the difficult part is finding the time! Now all I need is an electronic drum kit and more time to learn that skill.

11 Likes

Really liked that @lee_editorial,
Shut my eyes and thought I was listening to “The Cure”.
Really nice piece​:+1::sunglasses:
Cheers Brian

6 Likes