Flying Fingers - do we really need to care?

I never look at my fretboard except for my fretless bass… it’s just not THAT interesting :smiley: and it makes it tough to read music :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

Speak for yourself, man. :smirk:
…okay, I don’t have groupies, either. Unless you count my 6-year-old daughter. Who usually tells me I’m being too loud. :slight_smile:

Not that I’ve completely conquered the flying fingers thing by any stretch – I will say it does make a difference when you want to play faster, to work “in close” with the fretboard. Here’s the kicker though – as I’ve gone on working with just how lightly my fingers actually need to be pushing on the strings, it’s naturally killed my tendency to make them fly away. Also, keeping my fingers flat due to wanting to kill off lingering harmonics and improve my muting tends to force them closer by default. So it’s kinda like one good thing begets another?

…To the point: these are all techniques you don’t learn right away, so getting hung up on flying fingers at the beginning would absolutely kill a beginner’s drive to play, if that’s what they were told to focus on. I agree with the majority opinion that it’s not necessarily a deal-breaker when it comes to playing. Just keep yourself comfortable (and safe) while having a good time.

13 Likes

Exactly my point, @chordsykat . . . :slight_smile:

Cheers
Joe

10 Likes

One name, Jamerson…played with one finger, who knows what the others were doing. Was someone going to tell him to do things differently?

6 Likes

Who would tell him? He was one of the first playing electric bass guitar and the internet didn’t exist yet :smiley:

5 Likes

I’m not sure I follow. When Josh (and others) talk about flying fingers, this is referencing the fretting hand fingers.

Just to make sure we’re on the same page, this video describes what Josh is talking about when he says flying fingers.
5 Levels of Bass Finger Exercise (Beginner to Advanced)

Based on that, Davey doesn’t have flying fingers. He moves his hand to a more comfortable position when playing the lowest frets taking his ring and pinky fingers out of playing position but when he does this he isn’t usually using those fingers anyway. When he plays middle to higher on the neck and the piece calls for it, his fingers aren’t flying at all. This is really me being super nit picky critical in an effort to try and understand what you mean. Normally, I would just say Davey is an amazing player.

For the second video, I would say that is a good example of someone who has eliminated flying fingers completely.

12 Likes

Sometimes I wonder if people make too big of shit about things like this… Over time we all develop into the players we develop ourselves into…

I remember many months ago a thread on this site was started asking “Who do you wanna play like?”… All had some sort of reply, but there were a couple of us who replied “I wanna play like ME”…

Who really gives a rats ass on bullshit that means nothing to the “personal” development of anyone learning to play an instrument?? Damn, you don’t gotta tell someone that they’re great, and you don’t gotta tell them that they’re bad… You don’t gotta tell them anything other than to “Keep on Thumpin’!”… Hell, anyone with half an ear (that’s me) can tell when something is off, and most times all it takes is for someone to just “Keep on Thumpin’!” In order for them to develop on their own…

I will always wanna “Play like me”… I’m not one who likes to follow “rules”… I don’t give a shit about theory or anything else since I have always played by ear and that’s what puts a smile on my face… Isn’t THAT what ju it’s all about??? Hell, I’m a 68 YO Vietnam Vet… I could care less if my fingers are “Flying”… Hell, I’m just glad that the damn things are still able to move!!..

Take ‘er Deep… and…
Keep on Thumpin’!

Lanny

11 Likes

You sir, are reading waaaaay to much into the videos. :woozy_face:

3 Likes

Amen @Lanny

I think we all agree so far, there are way more important things to a hobbyist bassist.
I get keeping the fingers down is more efficient, but, isn’t developing as a player without working so hard to keep the flying fingers down more efficient to get to the goal we most all are after?

From now on, I am going to fly my fingers with pride, and if anyone says anything, they get a very special flying finger just for them. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

7 Likes

Yes, yes, and yes again!!! It all takes practice and time to develop our “own” skill set and fill our “own” toolboxes with the skills that we have learned over time…

Playing an instrument and making music is a great thing… It’s SUPPOSE to be a “personal” expression of sorts… Learning the “basics” is a good thing, but developing into the player that can express “Your” own personal feelings and expressions is a truly great thing!!

My problem with learning a new instrument these days is that it begins to develop into a “Learn to do it MY WAY” kinda thing… @JoshFossgreen Josh has not done this in training all of his beginners and I appreciate that - especially since I came from many years of guitar playing… His Beginner course is the greatest!!! What’s sad is when others begin to step in and bring in things like this that kinda piss me off…

The one best thing that @JoshFossgreen Josh taught me in his course was that “I could do it”… He taught me how to go about moving forward “on my own” to learn and explore as an independent bass player. Over time, this has worked. I still play my six string guitars, and I ALWAYS play my bass, but learning, practicing, and playing music is what it’s all about… Who the F@$k cares about anything else???

Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

12 Likes

as far as I understand it the flying fingers thing comes into play if you play a style that requires some crazy efficiency. so mostly shredding I assume, which is absolutely the last thing I personally want to do.

9 Likes

If nobody forms a band called ‘The Flying Fingers’ after reading this thread; I’ll be disappointed :slight_smile:

14 Likes

Flying plucking fingers is an understatement. That guy has slappity bouncy hippity hoppity skipping wondering flying fingers! :rofl:

That solid power stand calls for honorable mention as well!

Another vote for who cares if it gets the job done.

5 Likes

Flying Fingers - on both hands! This dude just had no idea, did he?

6 Likes

Salute! @Lanny Lanny :beers:

3 Likes

One of my bass hero’s has the worts case of flying plucking and fretting fingers. Geezer Buttler.
This video is timed to start at 1:00. Watch at 1:03
I play this song, and I can’t even play it with my fingers not set on the board for those octaves. I can’t imagine playing cleanly with flying fingers and beating the shit out of the strings with my plucking hand, but he can, and he rocks.

Then watch at 1:37.
Oh, and the whole video, watch his plucking, or in reality his punching right hand fingers.

I think, and said before, that when playing some aggressive style hard rock / thrash / punk / metal stuff, fingers fly, I see it all the time (now that I always try to pay attention to the bass player when watching live music).

Yes, when playing controlled shredding progressive jazz like Josh, Scott Devine and Mark do, the fingers are very controlled and, it is probably more necessary to play good when playing this.

Me too.

BOTTOM LINE

If you think you have flying fingers, AND care to correct it, go for it.
If you think you’re playing is progressing and you are loving it, but your fingers are flying a bit, SFW.

4 Likes

I could care less about doing things that make me sound 1% better, but what I want to do is make sure I’m not doing anything that can cause long-term injury, that I’m able to play the songs that I want to, and that I’m playing efficiently to lengthen playing time.

I personally care about flying fingers because it uses more energy up and lessens the ability to play fast passages due to longer travel time. Anything that makes my hands less tired is a good thing in my book. It may help to visualize if a pianist had flying fingers what impact that would have. Also keep in mind that I’m classically trained on piano/violin and they tend to be more strict on stuff like this so it may be programmed into my brain.

This is my personal view though. If others want to let their fingers soar and don’t mind, then that’s up to them. I definitely don’t think it matters for most casual players. I am indeed a casual player, but it’s just something I’ve chosen to work on to improve. It’s similar to music theory to me. Plenty of top bassists don’t know much music theory and it’s not a requirement, but I choose to understand it better as I think it will personally make me a better bassist. We each have our own journeys.

11 Likes

It’s hard to say as mot of the example posted are professionals that play very hard, they really dig in to the strings to get their “signature sound”. I’m sure in they play the “unplugged” version it would look much tighter. These guys turn it up to 11 when the play live.

Like everything else, when you are good at something you’d make it look effortlessly flying finger or not. We can’t all look like Scott Devine playing heavy stuffs. Lol

4 Likes

My index flys occasionally, partly as the muscle is slightly shorter from poor physio after breaking my arm as a kid. It doesn’t bother me and just requires more concentration with my fretting hand.

3 Likes

I agree with you completely. I don’t know why people argue for playing with poor form, it’s not like it’s hard to play with good form, it takes a little effort at the beginning and then it makes everything easier after that. It’s like typing with 2 fingers or playing trumpet with the middle of your fingers instead of the tips. I enjoy practicing good form, it’s not like it’s a hardship that ruins my enjoyment of playing. Every instrument has some technique you want to pick up early and it’s much more difficult if you dont and have to fix it later.

6 Likes