5 Levels of Bass Finger Exercise (Beginner to Advanced)

Stop the flailing and buzzing with these bass finger exercises - what level can you make it to?

0:54 - Level 1: Fix Your Fretting
2:50 - How to Make This Less Boring
5:53 - Level 2: Ready Your Fingers
9:31 - Level 3: Fix Your Flying Fingers
12:08 - Level 4: Smooth Your String Crossing
14:54 - Level 5: Perfect Your Pressure
19:29 - What to Do Next

If you’re doing the Beginner to Badass course, this lesson would fit during Module 6 when we start to work your fretting technique more. And all these bass finger exercises will complement what you do in the rest of the course, big time.

5 Levels Recap

Here are all five levels written out as sheet music + tab, with fingerings:

Levels 1-3

Level 4

Level 5

Which “Level Goal” did you find the trickiest? I’m still working on Level 5, which is to use as little pressure as possible with the fretting hand. I get too excited sometimes! :man_dancing:

7 Likes

Where can I get some of that Bass Juice?

2 Likes

@JoshFossgreen , what is the drum loops app you mentioned for the Android? I couldn’t make out what you said, even after rewinding and replaying several times. Thanks

1 Like

I think there were some ZZZZZs in the name. :wink:

1 Like

I found it! It’s called “Loopz”. Thanks @PeteP

1 Like

Thanks for “grounding” me again, Master @JoshFossgreen! See you in a year or so…:wink:

Even for the area from the 9th to the 12th fret, I do microshifts, which seems to trigger more finger movement/flying than strictly necessary, or at least more than what you show here. That is going to bite me in the rear in the long run, isn’t it??!!

3 Likes

Nevermind, I found some in my fridge…

4 Likes

Anywhere green tape and Sharpies are sold. :yum:

Ugh yes sorry! Should have written it out on screen, it’s called Loopz: (it’s in the captions though!)

Just play with stretching gradually, it’ll happen!

3 Likes

I think the trickiest for me is that part in Level 4 where you’re descending, and when the pinky hits the 12th fret on the D string, the other 3 fingers simultaneously come down in ready position on their respective frets at the same time! (around 13:30 in the video) Man, that seems far off, and this video is going to make me re-assess my fingers for sure.

Realistically, I’m around level 3, with removing fingers without too much flailing to work on first. And level 2 needs a bunch of refinement first! This is a new way to look at things for me, instead of my “one note at a time” approach so far - thanks for the push Josh - I can’t say this will be my favorite thing to practice, but I’ll throw it into the mix :slight_smile:

Good retro gamer references in the video too :space_invader:

4 Likes

Excellent video!

3 Likes

Good video, Josh . . . great ideas for practice, too. :slight_smile:

I’m definitely at level 2 and hadn’t thought much about leaving fingers on the frets in between fretting until now. I’ll start including these drills as part of my practice sessions.

Thanks, Joe

2 Likes

I’m basically level 3 with a good start on 4. That’s when I run in to Pinky Treason.

2 Likes