Ouchie, Newbie Needs Finger Fretting Tips

Good question here!!

Just give some time to heal, but not too much because you want to form the calluses on the fingers and with a little time you’ll stop having pain in your fingertips…

Using less pressure is also a good idea, and this will come with time…

I can never get used to playing in A position, and my automatic is going through B and C

5 Likes

I believe you are taking about this video. Whole video is a must watch for anyone who hasn’t seen it yet, but the advice about pressure comes in around the 17 minute mark during the level 5 discussion.

9 Likes

Yessir! Thank you, @BassFaceDisgrace - and I agree, it’s a must-watch video, as well as a can’t-harm-to-rewatch video!!

4 Likes

Hi @Sue ,
I agree with comments from Joerg and John,
it takes time to build the callouses and i generally play between the B & C positions,
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

That game changed my world. I was fretting way too hard.

I think I used A more when I first started because I was stronger in that position before regularly practicing. B is more common for me now. C may show up out of necessity for muting. I just pushed my fingers down against my thumb in A, B and C to check out how the muscle use changes. Quite a bit really.

This may also be useful …

Thanks for putting that graphic up! It’s a difficult conversation to have with words.

5 Likes

@Sue There is so much good advice in this thread. Great job everybody.

I try to stick with C and most examples of ‘proper’ technique shows C.
Sometimes, when using B, I hit a nerve that is really painful.
I use A when trying to play chords but I think that has more to do with having not worked on that technique enough. It always ends in pain.

@howard talked about doing or getting a setup done. Yes! It makes all the difference. I highly recommend learning to do it for yourself also. Twice, I’ve paid for a setup and neither time was I happy with the work done. If you need more resources for this, just ask. We have plenty to share.

Here is the BassBuzz link for the 5 Levels video…
5 Levels of Bass Finger Exercise (Beginner to Advanced)
Josh always includes more information when he posts the video link here in the forum than the one he posts on YouTube.

That Adam Neeley video @DaveT posted is excellent. It really helped me with playing on the higher frets.

I also recommend reading this thread where both Josh and Gio post pictures of their hands and what to do with them.
Eek, Flying Fingers! (and what you can do about them right now)

Also, this topic has some great information…
Death Grip

6 Likes

Thanks @TNKA36 for your 2 cents and for sharing the B/C position. :sunflower:

1 Like

That was a sweetly compassionately reply. I watch Scott too and learned he wears the gloves to deal with a nervous system disorder that causes hand tremors. What I didn’t know is that it can also help with ‘fret abuse’. What is your take on these thingies that I just learned exist?

~Sue

3 Likes

@howard The symbolism of your social icon. :heartbeat: matches your kindness.

Totally going to try this today and I think maybe my setup needs adjusting.

Oh, that sounds even more challenging. Thank you for that clear description. Will give that a try too!

XXXOOO Everybody. I wish IRL were as kind and generous as you all.

2 Likes

FACEPALM We can wash the strings? @John_E I will look into this canned magic. I’m so grateful that there are so many stages of progress to badassery because it means there are lots of opportunities to slowly and steadily level up. :sunflower:

BTW, I found this colorful fretboard pic and have been staring at it dreamily in an attempt to make all the notes miraculously map into my brain.
(See: GIF | Gfycat)

~!Sue

1 Like

Thanks for seconding the endorsement for Fast Fret, @Guto :sunflower:

2 Likes

Good to know about the A, B, C here, along with the time to create and toughen the calluses. :sunflower:

2 Likes

@BassFaceDisgrace
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!
:sunflower: :sunflower: :sunflower: :sunflower: :sunflower:

3 Likes

Watching as soon as I finish replying to everyone. :sunflower:

3 Likes

Thanks @DaveT Thanks for sharing that ‘that game changed your world’ — insider tips like this is one of things I’m loving about leaning music and finding community.

Good to know, and thanks for the link to this video! :sunflower:

~Sue

3 Likes

@eric.kiser You just gave me a gold mine!

Ouchie indeed. My A does sometimes feel nerve pinchy so shifting more toward B/C finger position seems to be where I need to shift.

My son is a budding (2 mos) self taught guitar luthier but has not worked on a bass before and I’m considering giving him a try on my Squier p-bass. Would adjusting the action be roughly the same on bass as guitar or are there different considerations for bass?

Totes going to watch those videos and read those threads. Gold.

Thank you. :sunflower:

~Sue

3 Likes

Yes, the procedure would be the same, @Sue . . . :slight_smile:

Cheers
Joe

3 Likes

Great stuff - and I’d like to add a few cents to this…

Actually, just 1 cent :slightly_smiling_face:

Once you develop the calluses, and that’s a very good thing, as it’ll add to your tone and be wholly yours, you need to make sure to take care of them, meaning, don’t let them crack (really an ouchie!).

I use O’Keefe’s Working Hands cream – check this article out:
Strings Magazine

GUEST_67f1a8ad-def3-4913-8ae3-7eac9bbc26ae

4 Likes

Haha, that is where I would draw the line :grin: They look like the thingies worn by bank clerks who need to count many bills.
Nah, I am good with the glove; that makes a lot of sense to me, but these rubber thingies seem just wrong… at some point you probably lose all touch with the strings and the fretboard, and I wouldn’t want that.

As for picks: we have an entire thread on picks (just use the search function to locate it); depending on the style of music you want to play (mainly), playing with a pick might be a good option. Personally, I prefer plucking with my fingers :smile:

5 Likes

Agree. It’s part of what you sign up for when playing bass or guitar. It honestly becomes a non-issue after a while.

This guy like this are marketers creations to capitalize on new players looking for the “easier way”. John has done a few videos on gear thingys and if they are worth it or not. These types of “helpers” are needed by no one, other than the company selling them so they can take your money. Save your money for your next bass.

Here’s a bunch more nonsense…
Ask yourself is any of your idol bass players might have used this stuff….

6 Likes