For home Learning/practicing, Active Bass vs Amp adjustments?

I know this can be a loaded question, but wondering on your preference and input. Still narrowing down my first bass choice, and wondered if an active bass has any advantage in a practice setting since the amp can be adjusted.

For context, I plan on learning bass strictly as a hobby, and have no plans or interests in Gigs or joining a band (I never rule things out though).
Amp wise, I’ve decided on the Fender Rumble 40. For bass, I’ve narrowed my choice down to a Sire M2, V3, or Squier CV 60’s.
Am I overthinking the active/passive choice if the amp has a 4 band EQ with tone shaping options?

2 Likes

Personally, I prefer a passive bass for practicing or otherwise. Instead, spend some money on a good amp that has all those capabilities. Down the line, you can also get an effects pedal if you really want to have some fun.

JMPO

Pam

5 Likes

I was thinking something along this line as well. The main reason Sires are front runners for my choice, is due to the cost being similar to the Squiers, but with preamp included and its active/passive switch.

Otherwise, I was thinking of sticking with the Squier and mess with the amp for tone. If I feel I need more down the line, Darkglass pedals sure do sound killer! :smirk:

4 Likes

We have a nice long thread on the forum about effects pedals.
WARNING: Going to that thread may cause G.A.S.

4 Likes

I’ve been researching Bass and pedals for months now on YouTube… G.A.S. Is fully set in already :joy: But, of course I’m gonna go check that out! :grimacing::crossed_fingers::pray:

5 Likes

a Sire is a more modern instrument, compared to a Squier CV being more vintage-oriented. I’d say it depends on what you plan to play, for exemple if you want to do a lot a slap, the Sire might be a good choice ; if you’re more into classic funk/pop/rock, the Squier could be the best choice.

Quality-wise the two brands are very good but I think a Sire would be even better built than a Squier.

6 Likes

tl;dr, for your first bass it’s more important that you buy one that plays well, that you like, and that has a tone you like, than strictly whether it is active or passive.

Longer answer: It depends on what you want. If you want modern sounds or more versatility on the bass itself, choose an active bass. If you love the classic sound and/or plan to buy at least one preamp pedal anyway, passive is fine.

The preamp on the bass is very useful for shaping tone. The reason is it is at the very start of the signal chain, so the tone changes you make there are also sent through and modified by all the effects. This is not true of the preamp on the amp, which is useful for shaping the final tone. It may be true of preamps in your pedals, depending on where they are in your chain.

But none of this really matters for your first bass or for home practicing, it only really matters for recording yourself or trying to capture specific tones.

Plus you will probably trade up from (or buy friends for) your first bass at some point anyway :slight_smile:

For maximum versatility, there’s active/passive basses with a switch to choose which mode you want. An excellent choice down the line IMO:

4 Likes

They are amazing. They also cost as much as a bass :slight_smile:

1 Like