For multiple Bass owners

Exactly but that’s not to say you can’t adjust an ideal bass to be even more ideal lol
Many are lucky enough to drop on what they want standard from the factory and there are a good few like me that just have to tinker :face_with_hand_over_mouth:
I love my MIM P bass ,the feel of the neck etc but there a few things I’ve changed and a few others I may do in the future. It’s really down to individual taste and being an individual.
I have my heroes and not all play P basses but I still love my P bass and I’m pretty sure it will evolve as I evolve as a bass player

4 Likes

I find that too. I try to get up to speed on my short scale, then switch to my full scale. It helps.

4 Likes

And I always say, why spend $2700 on a fender when you could get a music man 🤷

Too each his own. :grin:

6 Likes

BTW MM will definitely sell you black hardware, I know because I emailed them about it when I had the orange bongo. You HAVE TO send in your chrome hardware to get the black. And it ain’t cheap, I think they said around 500 for the whole set, but they will sell it by the piece.

5 Likes

At that point, Hipshot

5 Likes

Ok, good to know, but quite a catch. It cost $500 plus you lose the value of the chrome hardware. OUCH.

Absolutely.
OR, I would buy one of the Sterling Ray34’s that has teh black hardware and swap it.
That way, for the $750 that you are spending for the black hardware ($500 plus losing the chrome hardware), you get a whole other bass for it. There are a couple Ray34;s that come with black hardware, adn they would look ok with chome

And if you wanted, you could just sell the Ray34 to get most of the money, if not all of it back. you can call it a custom cuz of the chrome hardware and get around full price for it, maybe.

4 Likes

Dude! Yes! Absolutely! Mod away.

As much as I want a Fender American Professional Jazz Bass, part of me thinks I will never be happy until I’ve built my own Franken-Bass.

5 Likes

Yep, I am doing it to my Ray 4, and my Ray 34

Yeah, but I kind of wan it to be a junkyard Franken bass. Makei it really cool, but put good electronics on it

4 Likes

The top blue and black, and the orange and black look great. The orange one looks about the same color as my Dean Edge. My Dean’s color was listed as transparent amber.

5 Likes

sure, but if you’re a purist you want the original stuff (which is why you have to trade in your old hardware, they don’t want non-MM owners buying it). if it were me, i would just buy the hard to find MM branded stuff (like the neck plate and bridge) and get aftermarket tuners, strap pegs, etc. or, of course, buy a cheap MM with black hardware and swap.

4 Likes

Yeah, I have a Warwick Streamer (ahem - a made-in-China RockBass, so not a ‘real’ Warwick) and a short-scale Serek bass. The Serek is much the higher quality instrument, but I play the Warwick better. Main reason: the short-scale strings are (of course) looser tension, and that makes my plucking fingers get ‘caught’ in them a lot more, as I tend to pluck with the same technique / pressure on both basses (something I’m trying to change, but can’t seem to manage at the moment).

6 Likes

Is there photo’s of your Dean Edge on the forum in the Show Us Your Basses thread.

1 Like

There should be. This is it so you don’t have to hunt.

4 Likes

i am fender guy and i get it, i just got my dream bass, my MIA Fender P/J bass, arctic white, so i get it, i also have an ibanez i love, but i only use it while playing metal, because the fender is not really super suited for that

4 Likes

Thanks, yeah, I like it.

2 Likes

Not a Fender guy myself, but P-basses do just fine for punk and metal :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hell yeah, you’ve got Steve Harris of Iron Maiden and Dee Dee Ramone to name two

2 Likes

Seems like half of punk bands too :slight_smile:

Love the tone here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0LUm1P4oPY

solid, solid Pixies cover :slight_smile:

I really like their bass. Nice fender P/J too.

2 Likes

Yeah I’ve been meaning to bring this up, you always show a pix of your dream orange bass, and I keep wondering what color is that? Cuz it ain’t orange. I mean, yes, it’s orangey. I think it’s this???

2 Likes

Which is effin beautiful btw

3 Likes