For multiple Bass owners

I have three main basses a Fender MIM P-Bass, MIM Jazz Bass and an Ibanez Talman 100. I spend equal time between the Fenders for gig and tone purposes. Some songs play and sound better on one over the other. On practice days when I seem to be struggling, I switch to the Ibanez as its shorter and lighter. As cheap as it was, it plays and sounds great. I take it when I don’t feel like lugging the Fenders around.

2 Likes

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

4 Likes

Yeah, I just looked up the s/n they posted. said that one was made in July 2020, so I guess it is a current color. Good to know.

It did not say the name of the color for some reason, IDK WTF

2 Likes

trans amber, appears to be a limited run color. they do that a ton.

2 Likes

I can definitely relate to feeling that way when it comes to Jazz basses and how they look. I have 3 currently, MIM Fender, Squier Fretless, and Squier Active Contemporary. I love everything about that body style.

4 Likes

I have different basses for different things. I have one always in a gig bag for practce at work or with the band, then I got my gigging bass. Different basses and different feels, but I think it helps me be a little more versitile.

8 Likes

You will get plenty of support for that around here. Check out these thread. There are a few people with some elaborate collections.

Multiple Bass Disorder
Show Us Your Basses

7 Likes

I only own my Fender J Bass and certain days I play her better than other days LOL

4 Likes

I’m in the process of changing my ESP to BEAD, which will make that my ax for lower register songs (Pseudo 5 string). I’ll keep my Hofner at EADG for those that require G string.
I have an acoustic / electric bass now, but I’m not sure where it fits in.
If I ever lose my mind and decide to learn to slap, I’ll get another bass with high action for that purpose.

4 Likes

I have e basses right now. The p-bass I built was my go to for the last week when I started the lessons but since I got the Steinberger 2 days ago I’ve been using it and I’ll switch off between them as I do the lessons. The Steinberger slides better than the p-bass but the tone on the p-bass is a little richer due to larger gauge strngs

6 Likes

That should be 3 basses not e basses

5 Likes

They are E (Electric) and they are 3 (three), so they both work, or you have 3E basses.

4 Likes

I have a Music Man Stingray and a Fender Precision Elite, what I experience is after playing either for a couple days I play better when I then switch to the other.

5 Likes

Low action is better for slap iirc :thinking:

2 Likes

Yep!

3 Likes

I have heard both ways. I think higher then the lowest is better then the lowest, but others have said, no, the lowest.
Depends the source tho, cuz I know I have heard some say their slap Basses are set a little higher

4 Likes

I have heard the exact opposite, from some reliable sources. Also, a friend tried slapping on my ESP and got all kinds of fret buzz. He said the action is too low for slapping.

3 Likes

Whatever works best for you @PamPurrs . :smiley: I’m not claiming to be a slap expert but I found slapping on my p-bass which had a high action a bit difficult. I got a bass with a J & MM pickup with low action and that one works much better for me regarding slap. YMMV.

3 Likes

I’m just going by what Josh (clearly) says in the slap lessons of the course. You want a low action - not too low or the slap transient will override the sustain too much, but definitely on the low side.

And if you have ever tried to slap a high action you’ll understand why, immediately.

5 Likes

Well, the chances of me ever becoming interested in slapping are extremely thin, so this is all moot anyway.

3 Likes