Frankenstrings

I did something a bit unorthodox on my Frank Bella ESP…
I had a 4 string set of Thomastik Infeld strings laying around, but didn’t have the B string that I needed to complete the BEAD setup on the ESP. However, I happened to have an extra B string from a 5 string set of LeBella’s, so I put that one on, along with the E A & D strings from the Thomstik infeld set.
The combination actually sounds pretty good!
Has anyone ever combined strings like this? Is it unheard of? Uncouth? Uncool? Not that I’ve ever been opposed to going against the grain, but I’m just wondering.

6 Likes

I probably already did this kind of thing with guitar strings. I’d say that if it works, then it works. I don’t see any problem.

4 Likes

This thinking suits you perfectly.

I bet people put different B strings on often, keeping what they know on EADG and going for a certain tone on the B

3 Likes

Mixing strings is done with classical instruments, don’t see why not

3 Likes

Looks like you are not alone, @PamPurrs :wink:

Julia uses a different brand for the B string as well.

3 Likes

That’s awesome! Thanks @Krescht

3 Likes

I don’t think it is that “uncommon” - I remember Gary Willis doing something similar on his 5-string, where he uses a certain 4-string set and then a single B-string from a different type of strings…

The one thing one might be conscious about is that if the strings are very different in tension, this might require some adjustments and some getting used to.

By the way, I think you can get all the T-I strings also as individual strings - not just as sets!

3 Likes

Yes, but quite pricy. But I already had the LaBella B string sitting around, I may as well put it to use.

3 Likes

Yes, I realize that… my comment was more of a general nature to all who are following the thread :grin:

Yup :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

No rules @PamPurrs - Like @terb, I have mixed and matched strings on my guitars for many years. I have also mixed strings on my bass’s several times with good (and a few not so good) results…

There have been times in country where all I had access to were different gauges of electrical wire…. Anything works in a pinch….

4 Likes