Fret board and left hand don't get along

According to many the correct length of your strap is one that holds the Bass in the same position whether you are standing or sitting. I found this to be true and I believe @JoshFossgreen has a video on this.
I find that correct position technique for the Bass is so important.

4 Likes

I’ve heard him say that too but he also says to do what feels right to you. I spend probably 98% of my time standing while practicing. When I sit, I’m leaning way forward on a chair with arms and that may be why the strap is fitting me loosely. If I were on a stool, I’m sure the strap would be supporting the bass.

3 Likes

And that is the main thing as most things are so subjective.

3 Likes

nooooooooo chairs with arms are the mortal enemy of the sitting bassist. :stuck_out_tongue:

Stools are great, but even just an armless chair is infinitely better.

4 Likes

Thanks Josh, that’s why it accounts for only 2% of my practice time. Now that I’ve been scolded, I’ll use a stool from now on. :smile:

4 Likes

I used to think I had to have the bass resting on my right leg, but just couldn’t get it work. For an entire year, I struggled with it. How on earth did Josh do it? Josh shoots his videos very dark-- a good aesthetic, but what I was missing was that while his bass was sitting on his right leg, he was not seated square relative to the camera. The bass faced the camera. His face and shoulders faced the camera, but his hips were at something like a 45 degree angle to his left…and that’s how he was doing it. That’s how he got under the neck with his left arm without contorting his wrist.

Once I realized that, getting to the high frets was no longer a problem. Bass is on the right, but now I allow room between the neck and my body.

Everybody is different, but it works for me.

4 Likes