Fret board and left hand don't get along

So by some standards I’m considered a seasoned bass player, as a matter of fact this coming November 8 will be exactly one month that I began to learn how to play. Seasoned when it comes to infants and puppies anyway. Anywho, when I practice I try really hard to pay attention to my left hand technique and I’ve noticed that when I reach the 11th or 12th fret I lose most all form and am struggling to go further down the neck without completely distorting my posture or left arm and wrist. It’s actually a little painful to get all the way down to the lower frets. If I let my hand curve like it wants to I end up playing the strings with the far outer edges of my index and middle fingers but my ring and pinky fingers are completely off the fret board because they don’t reach due to the awkward position of my wrist and hand. I’ve tried adjusting how I hold my bass but it doesn’t make much difference. I’ve seen countless YouTube videos and other players don’t seem to have that issue. Is this a me thing?

2 Likes

This is gonna sound silly but try moving your elbow farther from your side.

2 Likes

I could really use some images to dig into this one! Post a video or some photos if you can.

2 Likes

Just starting out, and I am left handed (playing right handed). I don’t know if this is your problem or not, but I feel awkwardness on the fretboard as I get to those higher frets. If I set the bass on my left leg though, then it feels much more natural; easier to get my wrist under the neck. It’s probably wrong technique, but it seems to help me. Doesn’t seem to work any other way though…

2 Likes

I’m right handed and I play right handed and I also play with my Bass on my left leg. I don’t know whether this is a technique concern or not. It’s always been what is most comfortable. Someone once told me classical guitarists play on the left leg.

In another thread @Gio made the point that technique is a recommendation but you still have to figure out what works best for you to be able to play the notes and get the sound you want.

3 Likes

This makes me feel so much better. Text book says right leg ( Josh’s B2B course is under the tree!), but it just feels so wrong. Being a natural lefty, I keep thinking this has got to feel better than this.

Left leg it is!

2 Likes

Don’t you mean ‘further up the neck’, and ‘all the way up to the higher frets’?

The low stuff is headstock end of neck, and the high stuff is bridge end of neck.

2 Likes

I saw an interview with Dave Ellefson from Megadeth and he said on some songs when he holds the neck of his bass away from his body to allow him to move more freely with his fretting hand… give it a shot and see if that helps.

See 2 min in on this video and he explains. While he is talking about hammer-ons and pull-offs at the 7th and 9th fret…it may also help going down the neck where space gets to be an issue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okeSIYi79kw

2 Likes

He makes it look easy, @faamecanic . . . :slight_smile: and also seems to be a really nice guy

My favorite was “Dawn Patrol” at around 4:00 minutes. Thanks for your post :+1:

Cheers, Joe

1 Like

The Megadeth dudes by and large seem really approachable and friendly. I like this video from Marty Friedman, and agree with every point he makes.

1 Like

The guys from Megadeth absolutely are very approachable. Even Dave Mustaine has become much more approachable as the years go by. Dave Ellefson has always been humble and a great guy.

If I recall Marty left Megadeth to go to live in Japan so he can teach guitar and English as a second language there.

2 Likes

He lives here. He’s actually touring now with his new band. His bassist is incredible, she just released her fourth solo album:

2 Likes

So you live in Japan? Would love to visit there someday (on my bucket list). Lived in Europe for 6 years (Germany) and traveled all over the place and loved it. Worked with some Japanese military folks in my job and they were great to work with.

Back on topic… damn she is awesome. Both bass and singing voice. Wish I knew the lyrics as seems like some meaningful music!

2 Likes

Yep, I live in Tokyo. You should absolutely visit.

Germany is amazing! Never lived there but I’ve been a couple times.

Yeah, Kiyoshi is amazing. Check out her youtube channel, she absolutely rocks.

2 Likes

@kwt7667 @eric.kiser, I’m super late to this post so I’m sure you have this settled by now, but just in case, I recently watched two classical guitar concerts online where both players where playing right handed (standard way?).

One was a female, the other was male, they both were playing in the most classically trained positions I’ve ever seen, with the guitar neck angled upward at about 45 degrees is what it looked like.

The left leg elevated by some small platform and the guitar resting on that elevated leg.

Point being, their guitars were resting on their left leg in both cases.

2 Likes

This is considered the classical position for classical guitar.
I have tried the classical position with 6 string acoustics several times over the years but it was not for me.
As far as Bass - I use a strap when sitting or standing but will admit my Bass neck is around a 45 degree angle. My Bass has 24 frets and the angle helps immensely with fretting and straightens out my fretting wrist. I do not want any RSI and I do practice every day for about an hour total.
Speaking of injury - If you have not done so already get yourself a good set of ear plugs.
Hearing loss is not reversible!!!

3 Likes

Thanks for the tip!

2 Likes

I’m also very left-handed but play the bass right-handed. I’m mostly in the standing position while practicing but when I do sit, the bass goes on my right leg. If I were to place it on my left leg, I’d have the same problem you’re describing.

3 Likes

@Steve_Are you using a strap when you are sitting? I do and my right leg is not really providing any support. To put it another way if I am sitting and then stand up the Bass is in the same position.

1 Like

No, the strap is still over my shoulder but it isn’t supporting the weight of the bass, it’s just draped loosely over it.

1 Like