Fret buzz in D standard

I’ve started getting some fret buzz on my SR500E after tuning it to D standard. It’s only on a couple of frets (G 8th, C 1st, F 1st), but it’s noticeable and consistent. It goes away and everything returns to normal after tuning back to E standard.

I assume the issue is that the .045-.105 strings are too floppy for D standard. Can I expect this to go away with .050-.110 strings? Or would I have to raise the action either way?

2 Likes

I have this a bit when I tune down to Eb-Ab-Db-Gb on my ESP Bello bass too.
I raise up the action a bit to get over it for recording.
I might actually set the bass up in that tuning to begin with and only go up when I want it for regular tuning instead.

2 Likes

Why not leave your Bello ESP as your Eb-Ab-Db-Gb bass? You have enough other basses that you can use for EADG tuning. Just sayin’

2 Likes

Buzzing below the 12 fret is generally related to the truss rod, because you have less tension on the neck from the strings now. Loosen the truss rod a bit.

3 Likes

Ya I am thinking I will.
EbAbDbGb is essentially all the KISS songs (they claim its how they got their sound), and I do like to play them a lot and that bass suits. I just have to go reset it up in that tuning and do some tweaking is all.

2 Likes

Yes it does. My Bello ESP has been anointed as my BEAD bass, and that role suits it as well.

1 Like

Beat me to it. You have changed the tension; you likely need to adjust the truss rod.

4 Likes

yep, i stand corrected, that fixed me up too.

4 Likes

@PamPurrs so the Bello bass is now officially my EbAbDbGb “KISS” bass.
tweak to the truss rod, adjustment of string heights. Intonation stayed on.

Time to finally record my KISS cover…now where did I put my makeup?

3 Likes

The neat thing is now you can just capo the first fret and simulate a medium scale in standard tuning to see if you like it :slight_smile:

5 Likes

My Gretsch is a medium scale.
Like it just dandy.

2 Likes

ahh, that’s right. cool.

1 Like

Any shorter though and I start not not being able to count frets and 5 becomes 7 etc. my traveler is short scale and takes a bit to get onto but better than nothing.

3 Likes