Fretless Fan Club

:raised_hands:

6 Likes

Stellar playing and great bass face :smile_cat:

2 Likes

I’ve had (for a while) a solid body fretless U-bass (originally a Kala and now a hadean). the funny thing is when I originally bought the Kala it wasn’t listed on reverb as fretless so I didn’t know. I liked it enough to this week buy on reverb an Ibanez SRH500F. much more challenging to play then the ubass. but I threw some thomastik flatwounds on it and damn it sounds good.

2 Likes

I finally got my Fender American Pro II fretless jazz bass the other day and it’s AWESOME!! The ONLY nitpick I have with it (and it’s purely cosmetic) is the headstock color. Making it darker or even the same color as the body woulda been better. But I’m not really looking at the headstock when I’m playing so as I said, not a huge deal. I really love the fretless and its flatwound strings. They’re so smooth and it’s very easy to glide up and down the neck.

11 Likes

IDK if you bought the bass or not, but I think it was Scott from SBL that said, if you get your first fretless, don’t be ashamed to get it lined. It will make the transition better and makes if visual as well as audible.
Since you are thinking about your first 5 string and first Fretless, I would offer up a suggestion to get a lined fretboard. so you just don’t completely overwhelm yourself and five up on 5 string and fretless all from the same experience.
Of course, you cold love it and it won’t be a big deal. Just something to think about.

3 Likes

Beautiful bass, and it has the fret lines drawn in. I think that might be a wise choice, especially if it if your first fretless.

2 Likes

What a beauty! Enjoy your new (fretless) bass!

3 Likes

Yes, sticks out like a sore thumb :laughing:

Congrats on the new bass!

2 Likes

Very, very nice, @Retta75 . . . :slight_smile:

Beautiful color, too! Wishing you lots of fun and happy playing!

Cheers
Joe

2 Likes

That is beautiful.

ENJOY

1 Like

It’s not that hard to play as I thought it would be, but having the lines definitely helps. The neck is about the same as my MusicMan bass so my fingers haven’t really had much trouble finding where they need to be.

2 Likes

A lined fretless is a wise choice, even Scott Devine says so. My first fretless was unlined and it was a major challenge. My next one was lined, and I was happy as a clam with it.
Keep in mind, you have to “fret” exactly on the line to get the correct intonation. Any deviation from that spot will result in flat or sharp tones.

4 Likes

Yeah I saw that vid by Scott. I imagine violin and upright bass players would have no problem with no fret lines. Tony Franklins Precision bass doesn’t have them either. I could probably do okay with it, but the lines definitely help finding where the notes need to be.

2 Likes

Just for laughs, here is my (embarrasing) performance of happy birthday with the Ibanez fretless using a pick, followed by the electric upright. Sara is deaf, so there’s no sound until I start actually playing. I did it just for fun (and to make a fool of myself) LOL
Happy Birthday to Sara - (pampurrs.com)

5 Likes

That was not foolish, that was rather sweet.

4 Likes

That Pro II is stunning! Congratulations!

1 Like

Not gonna lie, I was intimidated with fretless didn’t know any better. Picked up a cheap Rogue and never really go anywhere with it. Locked down hit, then one day I just picked it up and started playing one of my favorite set, next thing I know I’m hooked. Started playing my favorite Palladino’s tune and don’t look back.

I’m up to 7 now.

1 Like

Sounds totally reasonable. :wink:

1 Like

You should see somebody about this, really… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

You have no idea. I started with this

And now this

8 Likes