Funkmasters EZX for EZDrummer

Anyone got the Funkmasters EZX for EZDrummer and if so, what do you think? It’s currently “on sale” and considering it for adding something outside my normal listening styles (Rock and Metal).

I know when playing along in B2B, I’ve enjoyed the funky stuff, something about playing the bass to funk that just feels good :ok_hand::sunglasses:

I’ve got the original EZKeys (with classic electrics) and wishing I did the discounted upgrade as might try adding some keys to my funk.

I’ve got guitar covered, well sound wise, but still need to learn some funk.

2 Likes

You are talking about the EZX for EZDrummer, right?

I bought it on sale also, but haven’t delved too much into it yet. I really like the Stubblefield kit and there are tons of cool funky grooves to choose from.

Here is a very quick&dirty demo of one of the grooves played on the Stubblefield kit.

2 Likes

Yep that’s the one. I’ll update my post to mention EZDrummer.

Nice, that does sound pretty good. I guess another option is to get the midi if it goes on special.

There just seems to be something about funk where you could go wild or just kick back on the bass and not necessarily worry about guitar.

1 Like

Yeah, but you won’t get the samples for the actual kit. But, sure, if you prefer another kit that you already own, then yes, absolutely :smile:

1 Like

Think I’ll go back and listen to the samples with decent headphones :headphones::grin:

1 Like

I did like the samples for the EZX, but couldn’t make up my mind so have left it for now. For some reason, the Toontrack website charges me in Euro, whereas most sites usually charge in USD. The exchange rate between USD and AUD is about 10% less than Euro so contemplated trying to buy via Sweetwater.

I also started looking at Addictive Drums and they have some good Funk packs. If I went down that rabbit hole as well, I’d probably get Funk in Addictive Drums as one of the 3 selections you get when you buy it. From what I’ve read and going along with my other post about finger drumming, AD might be better for finger drumming.

I did buy the Funk pack from Groove Monkee - not sure if I like it though. It seems ok, but didn’t seem like that much variety. I played around with a few different drum kits and there are some that have a bit of the Funk vibe.

2 Likes

Addictive Drums and EZDrummer are both great. Another thing to maybe check out is just making your own kits in the DAW. What DAW do you use?

1 Like

I use Reaper. Was tempted to try Ableton Live Lite that I got with my interface, but feel like I’m only just starting to learn Reaper.

Cool. You can load drum samples in a sampler (including the builtin ones in Reaper) and just trigger them directly yourself if you want.

Drum plugins make it easier though in that they organize the samples for you. This is why I use them.

Still, a lot of people use samplers to build their own kits - this is probably the main use in Logic and Ableton. Reaper has a builtin sampler too, and other good plugin options to buy of course.

1 Like

Thanks for the info. Certainly a lot in Reaper I haven’t even touched yet.

1 Like

This has some good tips for working with drums.

1 Like