Funky Lever on E Tuning Peg

I was just watching a video where the bass player had some kind of funky lever on his E tuning peg that, when open, dropped the E down half a step to Eb (sorry, I don’t have a “flat” key on my keyboard).

Actually, I had to back up and watch the lesson video (not one of Josh’s) where he talked about tuning because every time I tried to play, I sounded off. When I figured out what he had done, I tuned (or did I de-tune) my E to Eb. After that, it sounded fine. I just cannot figure out what that lever is.

If the attachment comes through, that’s it. Dunno what “it” is. You cannot see “it” behind the head when the lever is closed only when it’s open.

Screen Shot 2022-10-06 at 12.19.16

Thanks,
Joel

1 Like

Hipshot drop tuner

4 Likes
2 Likes

That’s a hipshot Drop Tuner. Some songs, like Money by Pink Floyd, are in Drop D tuning, where the E string is tuned to D or D#. This tuner let’s you switch to alternate tuning and back so you don’t slow down a set.

2 Likes

Thanks all. I’m a n00b and I had no idea what that was. :slight_smile:

Joel

3 Likes

Never have to apologize. Secretly everyone here wants to be able to go back to the beginning and experience that journey once again. Lol. May be I’ll go left handed.

The drop tuning is not limited to just D string. If you are out of notes to play on the fingerboard you can find the way like this guy.

3 Likes