G&L JB-2 Grounding Issue?

Black is hot in AC, black is neutral in DC, standard wise.
DC you start to see all sorts of nonsense though as there is no code like in AC wiring of buildings, etc.

1 Like

Or in houses with extensive redneck engineering, like mine. I thought I bought a fixer-upper, I ended up with a rabbit-holer.

Yep. I even test wires that I know I just discoā€™d at the switch and/or the breaker. If you take enough precautions, you neednā€™t take precautions.

I buy the Pocket Packs, which are .031"/.75mm diameter.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00068IJNQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

1 Like

Not that I mind the off-topic talk, itā€™s been very informative (I took a year of classes at ITT Technical Institute, but I have not soldered in YEARS), butā€¦

ā€¦that was the problem. The black wire coming from the bridge pickup never had a good connection. Or maybe the ground that it was soldered to before it came off. Anyway, I re-soldered that and the ground below it, and now everything is perfectly fine. All I hear is that regular 60 cycle hum and the sweet tones of the bass itself.

Iā€™m really glad I was able to fix it. Aside of that one issue, I love everything else about this bass. And I bought it online from a store outside of my area, so taking it back to the store was not something I was interested in. Iā€™m only about 15 minutes from G&L though, so I thought about reaching out to them. Luckily, I was able to fix it myself.

6 Likes

Oh cool. All I saw were 1lb rolls.

Given how many basses you have, thatā€™s not a bad idea. I mean, economies of scale sort of thing.

1 Like

Glad to see you back in business. So how does the bass sound?

1 Like

Seriously amazing. I greatly prefer it to any of my other basses; itā€™s the sound I hear in my head when I think about playing bass. Iā€™m sure this will quickly become my ā€œmain bassā€.

1 Like

Yeah I get that. I was happy with my main bass, and still am, but then I got my hands on a stream and itā€™s a game changer.

@JustTim ,Glad you figured it out.

1mm is fine too, thatā€™s what I generally think of as a general purpose size. Some people like larger.

1 Like