G&L Tribute L-2000 Opinion

If your into putting a little effort into (flipping toggles, and turning knobs) the L-2000 offers about any tone you can want. If your not into that, then the J-Bass is the way to go. I have both Basses, IMO they are both winners. Good Luck.

2 Likes

@Thunder_Cloud Thank you. I’m a little nerdy when it comes to those things and I really like all the different sounds you can get out of it. I adjusted everything on both basses myself and that made a huge difference. I have a question for you if you have both basses: I have never used flatswounds and I ordered a set. Would you put ir on the G&L or the Squier J-Bass? On the G&L it could help to reduce the metallic sound of the humbuckers that I don’t like that much. Otherwise all the options are really cool. From videos I have seen on the j-bass the flat wounds sound really cool. What do you think? Thanks in advance!

I put a set of Ernie Ball cobalt flats on both, and I’m very happy with the results. I agree with you. If I had to choose, I would suggest the G&L. Again there is no wrong choice fturczynski.

1 Like

As @terb suggested, it seems you already have your answer in terms of tone and playability.

The humbucker has a particular sound and you seem to not like it (and it’s totally ok, it’s a matter of personal taste), and that sound it’s being emphasized by nickel strings (G&L stock strings are nickel strings I think).
Probably you could get some warmer sound with nylon strings… …but is like adding 2 extra wheels to a bike and expect that will work as a car imho.

If you like the J-Bass sound, go for it, you can always add more basses or replace one if you change your taste in the future.

1 Like

I think I’m actually experimenting and learning. I love the G&L. It’s quality is evident, it’s feel is great! I wouldn’t give it away that easily. I’m too inexperienced. I just couldn’t say no to getting a set of GHS flats and I can’t make up my mind if I should try them out on the Squier J-bass or the G&L. BTW, the G&L has Ernie Ball’s Super Slinky Rounds in 45,65,80,100. Thanks and Greetings!

After a mayor adjustment the G&L feels like a completely different bass. Loving it! Fretting is as soft as on the J-bass. Now I can really feel the difference between the necks without feeling that one is harder than the other. I hope I learn how to play bass as fast as I learned how to do a complete setup. Figures!

2 Likes

Congrats. Learning how to do your own setups is so important. The playability difference can be huge, and if you can do it yourself, no need to drop $50 twice a year (or more).

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

I finally got around to put flat wounds on the G&L. WOW!!! Between the setup and the strings it feels and sounds awesome! Almost feels as if it was made for flats rather than rounds. The variety of tone seems to increase.