Gallien-Krueger Legacy Series amps

Hey fellow bass players :smile:

do anyone here ever tried a Gallien-Krueger Legacy Series amp ? those cute little things exists in 500, 800 and 1200w and pretends to give the tone of the old RB series amp. I absolutly love those RB with this distinctive agressive saturation, so I wonder if a Legacy could be my thing.

There are two videos on the official site to show how the things sounds, this one is the most interesting :

link to the product page : https://www.gallien-krueger.com/legacy-heads

@terb Can you explain what you you mean by this?

oh it’s hard to describe sounds, especially in my non-native language … the voicing prior to the gain stages have a good amount of presence/treble, it gives a kind of metallic and clicky attack, it’s not smooth at all. I’ve always heard this with the old GK RB played live (for exemple I’ve seen Dave Curran of Unsane using one of those RB, I believe a 800) ; to me it sounds a bit like a Ampeg SVT-CL but with an overall colder color, and with a more metallic upper range.

1 Like

Native language or not, I think that was a better description than I could have given.

Many moons ago, I had the GK 800RB this amp is supposed to mimic. To my ears, based on this video, it sounds exactly like what I remember. For me, it was all about clarity and that attack.

The thing about it that still appeals to me is how you can always make a brighter cleaner tone into something darker and dirtier but you can’t seem to go the other way; turning a dark and dirty tone into something bright and clean.

One thing I did to get a better idea of the differences was to pull up this video of the Fender Rumble 800HD at the same time and bounce back and forth between them.

1 Like

that’s a very interesting information ! thanks Eric

sure. the detail in a sound is in the upper range, so if you don’t have much of it in the original signal, you won’t have much to work with and you’ll have a hard time trying to get something brighter/clearer.

1 Like

I really like the sound of G-K amps. I also think their little class D amps sound good. The MB-200 and 500 look like great buys.

1 Like

the Legacy is class D too (but the original RBs are class A/B obviously).

2 Likes

Do the Legacy’s have tube preamps or is that the Fusion? Hmm probably the Fusion, by the name.

1 Like

Yes the Fusion has a tube preamp but the Legacy is pure solid state.

2 Likes

I’m honestly not sure if I prefer the Ampeg or G-K sound. I love them both. Ampegs are just deliciously punchy/chuggy while G-Ks are so deep and bright. They both sound awesome to me.

2 Likes

yes @howard , I love them both too :slight_smile:

1 Like