Gallien-Krueger Legacy Series amps

Hey fellow bass players :smile:

do anyone here ever tried a Gallien-Krueger Legacy Series amp ? those cute little things exists in 500, 800 and 1200w and pretends to give the tone of the old RB series amp. I absolutly love those RB with this distinctive agressive saturation, so I wonder if a Legacy could be my thing.

There are two videos on the official site to show how the things sounds, this one is the most interesting :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFVYUA7iiew

link to the product page : Legacy Heads — Gallien-Krueger

1 Like

@terb Can you explain what you you mean by this?

1 Like

oh it’s hard to describe sounds, especially in my non-native language … the voicing prior to the gain stages have a good amount of presence/treble, it gives a kind of metallic and clicky attack, it’s not smooth at all. I’ve always heard this with the old GK RB played live (for exemple I’ve seen Dave Curran of Unsane using one of those RB, I believe a 800) ; to me it sounds a bit like a Ampeg SVT-CL but with an overall colder color, and with a more metallic upper range.

2 Likes

Native language or not, I think that was a better description than I could have given.

Many moons ago, I had the GK 800RB this amp is supposed to mimic. To my ears, based on this video, it sounds exactly like what I remember. For me, it was all about clarity and that attack.

The thing about it that still appeals to me is how you can always make a brighter cleaner tone into something darker and dirtier but you can’t seem to go the other way; turning a dark and dirty tone into something bright and clean.

One thing I did to get a better idea of the differences was to pull up this video of the Fender Rumble 800HD at the same time and bounce back and forth between them.

1 Like

that’s a very interesting information ! thanks Eric

sure. the detail in a sound is in the upper range, so if you don’t have much of it in the original signal, you won’t have much to work with and you’ll have a hard time trying to get something brighter/clearer.

1 Like

I really like the sound of G-K amps. I also think their little class D amps sound good. The MB-200 and 500 look like great buys.

2 Likes

the Legacy is class D too (but the original RBs are class A/B obviously).

3 Likes

Do the Legacy’s have tube preamps or is that the Fusion? Hmm probably the Fusion, by the name.

2 Likes

Yes the Fusion has a tube preamp but the Legacy is pure solid state.

3 Likes

I’m honestly not sure if I prefer the Ampeg or G-K sound. I love them both. Ampegs are just deliciously punchy/chuggy while G-Ks are so deep and bright. They both sound awesome to me.

3 Likes

yes @howard , I love them both too :slight_smile:

2 Likes

What are you calling a Legacy series? I don’t know if mine are Legacy or not. I have an MB212 II and an extension cab.

Never mind. Just compared them . Mine are just regular.

2 Likes

Old revival thread alert! I know you don’t use an amp anymore Terb but I actually have the Legacy 800 and Fusion 500. They both sound good but the Legacy has a bit brighter/agressive tone and is imo a lot easier to dial in. The Fusion on the other hand has a lot more tonal options and it has that punchy warmth tone because of the tubes preamp.

I would gig with the Legacy and keep the Fusion for home/studio usage. I don’t know how the RB800 sounds but old-time GK fans who bought the new Legacy seem enthustiac about it.

2 Likes

OR just get this one on Reverb Gallien-Krueger 800RB 300 / 100-Watt Bi-Amp Bass Amp Head | Reverb :blush:

2 Likes

Flea is a GK guy. That bright punchy tone and growl is a great tone.

2 Likes

yeah a 800RB :grin:

in fact I built this 400RB preamp since this post :

it sounds … like a 400RB :grin: I might do some experiments with it because for now I’m still using my Ampeg tone on the Bass POD Pro. one of the things I want to try is to use the two preamp in parallel : the Ampeg tone for the dark growl and the GK for the bright edge and clicky attack. might be interesting.

2 Likes

I was close to pulling trigger on 1001RB, but ended up going Kustom KBX500, which sounded better than the GK MB500 side yo side in my opinion

I forgot what it was called, but GK had the bi amp tweeter control feature but required specific cabs for it to work. That feature seemed nice for that clicky high

1 Like

Looks amazing!

1 Like