GarageBand/Audio Interface Trouble

Hi Everyone!
Does anyone have experience with Garageband and Audio Interfases? I have tried just about anything I can think of but I just don’t get any signal from my bass on GarageBand. The AI (Behringer UMC202HD) shows signal but GarageBand doesn’t show any signal. Current settings: Input: UMC202HD Output: UMC202HD.
I have tried new project, changing Input and Output, both channels on the AI, different bass, open old projects where it worked… I can hear my bass but none of the effects get applied and there’s no signal I can record. Flat line.
It worked in the past and it just stopped working. (I probably deserve it for buying another bass :wink:
Thanks a lot in advance!

5 Likes

Hi @franx,

if you follow the link i attached it will take you to @Lanny, Bill’s home page where under the blog area you will find tutorials on how to do covers using garageband, photobooth and imovie for the mixing.
I use the same platform, hope this helps.
If you need any further assistance let either Bill or myself know,
Cheers Brian

https://go-low.billlanahan.com/wp/

5 Likes

Thank you so much. I’ll look into it. Cheers!

4 Likes

Hi @franx,
I just remembered that Lester @LesterH, is an ex apple service guy who may be able to shed a little more light on the issue from a technical perspective,
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

I’m afraid I couldn’t find any tutorials on the link you sent me.

2 Likes

Update. I finally managed to get a signal into Garageband but only by putting the record level to the max and turning the input on the AI where it goes into red too easily.It’s as if the output of the AI is too low for GarageBand. So I guess it’s a step forward but not a solution just yet…

4 Likes

SOLVED. IN CASE THIS HAPPENS TO ANYONE:

The problem was the USB adapter to connect multiple devices to my laptop. It does not meet the AI requirements. I exchanged it for the Apple adapter and the problem was solved.

THANKS A LOT FOR YOUR HELP! Cheers

10 Likes

Yeah, this is the stuff that makes me angry with Apple sometimes… you need an adaptor for everything, but if you buy a cheap one, it doesn’t work anyway (or only a little bit, but not properly). It takes a long time to figure this out, and then you need to buy the expensive Apple adaptor anyway and have a bunch of cheaper ones lying around unused.

Had a similar issue with an external monitor… was about to bring the monitor back to the store, when I finally borrowed an Apple USB adaptor from someone and tried it :rage:

3 Likes

It’s not only Apple. I had something similar with my son’s Nintendo Switch. I think it has something to do with the quality of the cable and perhaps how much current it can draw?

If you want cheaper Apple gear that works you should look at Belkin. They are also Apple Certified.

4 Likes

The power that these adapters transmit to the USB varies frequently just as in the adapters for phones. I’m sure there are many brands that work well for this purpose. It’s just that I spent days trying to figure out what was wrong with the AI or Garageband but it never crossed my mind that it could be the adapter until I stumbled on a comment. I wish I had it to give that person the proper credit.

4 Likes

Apple makes a huge business out of adapters. USB powered devices should have some kind of nomenclature that specifies these issues… as well as the adapters. Thanks for your comment.

3 Likes

Thanks for the Belkin info! Good to know.

2 Likes