GarageBand

I know a lot of you use GarageBand for backing tracks and recording.
I’ve tried to figure it out but I can’t seem to get my head around it to even get a start.
I’m quite computer literate but for some ungodly reason this is spewing with my head.
Is there a decent help site that can steer my in the right direction?

5 Likes

@rory, Here’s the official Apple link GarageBand - Official Apple Support

HTH you get started :slight_smile:

Cheers, Joe

5 Likes

I started using garage band drummers in place of a metronome - this is a walk through:

I’ve started to try and learn reaper and I’ve found this to be a great resource:

For recording - how are you looking to do this? Do you have a audio / midi device? Or a microphone in front of the amp plugged into a laptop over USB? There are lots of options.

3 Likes

Good on ya Joe.
Thanks for that I really appreciate it.

4 Likes

Thanks so much. I too need GB help bad.
I use the app on an IPad, it’s a little different I think, but hopefully that gets me started.

I will like to have this thread for @rory Nd I to learn, and help one and other.

3 Likes

Thanks for you help.
I don’t have any of the stuff you mentioned but I’m willing to get set up if needs be.
Thanks again

2 Likes

Sounds like a plan!

2 Likes

Gear acquisition warning … what started off with a simple question can get expensive very quickly!

If you want to start with some drum backing tracks (and add other instruments) and you don’t have something like a Focusrite then you should be able to set your MacBook or iPad to output via the speaker to your AMP aux in. In Garageband go to preferences and audo\midi and set your output device to be built-in output.

And off you go … I can break this down into steps if it helps. But the first link I gave hopefully helps.

3 Likes

I have DAI and can connect both ways, that’s not the issue, just using GB. I played a little with the amps, couldn’t get good sound or tone at all. And beyond some simple single line recording on the amp screen, I am lost,

1 Like

Agreed - it all depends on what the requirement is. As I progressed with bass I realised how poor my timing was and started using a metronome which was painful. A simple four on the floor drum beat in garage band was all I needed to provide beat and I could make it more complex as I improved or wanted to play in time with something more complex.

Josh approaches this in his usual style - How to Play Bass with a Drummer (Foolproof Beginner Blueprint) - YouTube

I progressed to a Focusrite audio interface and Reaper as a DAW as gear acquisition syndrome took over. Thankfully I only have one bass at the moment … so I need to acquire other gear to compensate.

3 Likes

What specifically are you having difficulties with??

4 Likes

Just everything.
As I said I’m quite pc literate but I can’t seem to follow it.
I’m not sure what to even say because I’m not sure what I should be saying.
I’m not much help I know but I look and look, push buttons and all that stuff but for some reason I’m not getting it.
I’m going to have a look at the Apple Instructions and see how I go there.
I’ve never had to consider this stuff until now and I’m finding it daunting.

1 Like

@rory - Awhile back I put together a step by step set of power points and a short video for my grandkids who wanted to use garage band the way I do to make recordings. Maybe it will help…??.. anyway, you can check it all out at:

https://go-low.billlanahan.com/wp/how-i-create-music-covers/

Good Luck!

Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

4 Likes

Yes, agree, but I was more referring to not being able to get the amps or effects within GB to sound anything like they should, and do when I go thru my pedal chain to my amp, and even with headphones from my amp, AND even just going thru my Zoom B1four to headphones.

I am not a technique master by any means, and use metronome for practicing, but I simply could not get any desired result with GB amps.
Not even a good clean sound with no effects.
It was always a little over drivin, or distorded even when set to be fully clean.
This may be because of my lack of experience with my DAI, as well as GB, or possibly just GB, or even possible it’s the DAI.
But I suspect that I should be able to get clean sound from GB regardless of the DAI input.

If I could get a good clean sound, I could just run my pedal board into it an$ dial in my sound.
It’s possible even further it’s something to do with the DAI to Ipad lightening, But it’s an actual Apple brand lightening to USB adapter.

Also it should be noted, I have only had about 2 hours total playing with it, so operator error is responsible for at least some, if not all of it.
I suspect all of it.

1 Like

This is likely maybe the iPad sound output. At least on my mac I have not had issues with GB’s amps, though they were not exactly what I was looking for either. But they did not sound bad.

On PC with Reaper I use amp/cab VSTs all the time with no issue.

2 Likes

I am sure some is trial and error, and with help from everybody, I will get there.

1 Like

Mate you are a legend.
Thanks for sharing it.
Love you website by the way.

3 Likes

No problem @rory… Hope it will at least get you started so then you should at least be able to dig around inside the application to see how it works.

Keep on Thumpin’!
Lannt

3 Likes

Is there any way to add additional amp simulations to GB? I’ve been looking but I can’t seem to find anything.

2 Likes

@JerryP - Instead of adding different amp setups, GB allows you to create (actually modify) the amps that they have available to choose from. Not at my computer at the moment, but it’s done by opening up the existing amp (somewhere in the bottom left section of the screen). You can modify settings , tones, frequencies, etc and also save that amp set up to be used at another time… If you need, I can try to go into more detail later on today when I’m back in my music room.

Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

4 Likes