GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome (Part 1)

why not record at -4dB directly ? I myself record at -6 to -3dB typically.

1 Like

This is optional but mostly to be safe from input clipping - it would take a fierce dynamic to clip from -12, but less so from -4.

Also, apparently some gear also has sweet spots around there to model analog gear at 0 vU. This is also why you want to keep it at -18 to -12 internally as some plugins model this.

4 Likes

Good to know. Obviously I take care I’m not clipping anything when recording, so it’s a purely clean -3 to -6 dB signal I’m recording.

3 Likes

I mean, I couldn’t just let them rust. The SWR was a cheap, used replacement for the Ampeg when it went down from lack of maintenance while my son was using it for his e-drum kit, and it quickly went down too. Never even got to try it with the bass, but always wanted one.

2 Likes

When you’re recording at -12 dB what do you do for monitoring? I’m quieter in my headphones than my unamplified bass at that point lol. Do you turn up the output of your plug-in so you can hear yourself? Am I actually completely misunderstanding and not doing what I think I am?

2 Likes

So…I finally got myself a 6 string. Picked up an SR1306. Man this bass is unreal. It plays like butter. I thought moving over to a 6 string would be very challenging. So far, I’ve found it to be very straight forward. Of course I’ve spent plenty of time playing my 5 string. The only real challenge is picking out the correct strings, when playing songs that would normally only be played on a 4 string. But it’ll just take a little practice to work through that.

But anyways, I actually posted to say that I’ve forced myself to have the opposite of GAS. If I wanted another bass, I knew I was going to have to let go of another. But I didnt just stop there. I got rid of all of my other instruments, except for the 4 string Carl Thompson. So thats it. Just two basses now.

5 Likes

I just turn up the monitor volume :slight_smile:

3 Likes

In true gas thread style maybe I need some monitors now :rofl:

4 Likes

The word maybe doesn’t apply to this thread…:rofl:

5 Likes

Well neither does need!

I’m also still wanting a guitar amp to push air around with my violin, so priorities are being considered.

And I want to upgrade my MTB brakes, the least sexy part of the bike lol.

2 Likes

My last GAS attack was a new headphone, a Audio-Technica ATH-M50X. Quite different from my AKG K-240 MKII.

Where the AKG is a semi-open headphone with a rather neutral sound, the Audio-Technica seems to be more bass heavy. Could be linked to it being closed though. Wear is really nice.

I will have to compare them in different situations just to know when to use which one :blush:

5 Likes

I’ve got a set of ATH-M50X (wearing them now, actually). These are the ones that I use for listening to music though vs. practicing and playing with so I can’t really say how they work for bass. Listening wise, they’re a lot less flat than my Sennheiser’s, but those are studio monitors and they’re supposed to be flat. I like the Audio Technica’s a lot. I tried them against a set of Sony’s and went with these because the bass wasn’t overdone.

2 Likes

I only like neutral headphones or IEMs on a serious listening sessions. The ears fatigue creeps in after an hour or so. There’s a reason why even serious Audiophiles call the V-shape “Fun!” You can listen for hours. :joy:

3 Likes

I just bought this Yamaha BSP 100. It looks somewhat like a car radio but it’s a legit 1-U rackmount half-width bass preamp. It works fine and sounds quite nice, even if it’s not really the tone I’m looking for. It reminds me of an SWR or EBS kind of tone : smooth but not hifi-like transparent. The integrated compressor is quite good. A very portable all-around preamp. For 60€ it was a no-brainer.

8 Likes

Rumble arrived at home.

I was a feet inches away from divorce :wink:

My wife complained about the size and the need - being worried that it won’t fit into the allocated space for my amp

BUT

I played a few notes with it and she was very enthousistic with the sound … she said it’s great

So now i have to cheat a little with my amp allocated to space to make it fit (the amp is inside a cupboard… not 100% sure it will fit as unlike the ampeg, the controls are at the top and not at the front…)

Looking forward to my saturday practice with my e-drummer and our Guitarist (band teacher) !

5 Likes

Gosh! Where have I heard THAT before?

7 Likes

:rofl:

3 Likes

Yes, been there……………

1 Like

Easy solve.
Put wife in cupboard, put amp in wife’s allocated space.

On a serious note, amps should not be in a confined space like that. Wives - debatable. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after reaching the maximum limit of 10000 replies. Continue discussion at GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome (Part 2).