GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome (Part 1)

I looked into using a mac mini to drive ny imac as a monitor. I am one mid year model away from that being a great solution.

I am starting to think this as a good option, I just need to check the OLDEST models that download the current GB, or at least download it from the app store.

If I can get one a new versions past the only available GB download, turn I will get one and a cheap 2000 5k monitor for it, for like $99

i hads to sideload tje next os opdate omto my imac, just to download tje oldest available GB at the app store.

Domt wanr to do that nere. That was like a late hear 2011 imac. If I can get mac mini 2015ish, should be good to go, or, rell me whar I am missing.
I am totaly not thinking Chrome books anymore. A fun thought, but it was fleetimg

3 Likes

Yeah I would definitely go for a used mac mini + monitor over a chromebook.

What I would do if I were you is look for a used mini from one of the years they got refreshed. Apple doesn’t roll out new models of the mini every year; in fact there was a four year gap from 2014 to 2018. So if I were you, and you can’t get the latest model (which is amazing), I would look for the Late 2018 model (Macmini8,1). Ideally with an i5 or i7 processor.

Something like this one.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254995022440

3 Likes

(The problem with going older than that is that even the 2014 models have held their value and they aren’t that much cheaper. They are still capable little desktops too though.)

2 Likes

I resemble that comment! :smiley:
Either that or a PC with Ubuntu. If you are REALLY attached to the MacOS interface, Ubuntu can be made to look and feel almost entirely like it as well.

I’m putting together a Linux box for my R programming, and i’s going to be my music and CAD station for 3D printing as well.

1 Like

Yeah Ubuntu is great. And Reaper has an Ubuntu version.

I more or less always have a Linux machine. (I’ve been an old school unix developer for a long time.) Right now my PC dual-boots to it and Windows. I do everything music-related in Windows but now that you’re starting to see some real DAWs Ubuntu might start to be viable for music production.

3 Likes

I’m bummed. The SBV550 I played in the shop and absolutely loved but stupidly passed on has finally sold.

I’m glad it has a home, and I’m not wanting to be buying another bass any time soon, but I still kind of wanted it to be there when I was looking for a new bass.

There’s still a silver one in the same shop. I don’t love that color though.

I mean it looks amazing, I just don’t really like silver as much as the other color options.

Three others on the market here at the moment, it seems. So there’s hope there will still be some left whenever I decide to buy again. Two blues and a red, great colors.

5 Likes

@howard , blue, oh please, blue!

3 Likes

Blue does look pretty amazing on this bass.

5 Likes

I do like the blue and could definitely live with the silver in my growing collection but I can’t do red basses! Or cars or bikes for that matter

2 Likes

I don’t know. I just bought a bass (Peavey Milesone III JJ) but I’m already GASsing for this:

I’ve been pining for this one for a few months, and I noodled with one in my local Long & McQuade’s and I thought that it’s great. Plus, of course, the looks. There is no limit, is there?

4 Likes

Yeah, too much for me now. The ones I were looking at are like 2015, around $240 with 8gb ram
As long as I can get GB on it, it will be more then what I had, by about double.

Cant spend much more considering I somt have a monitor laying around and meed to factor in that added cost.

Not sire yet, I really wish apple gave better references for years, and what changed, and what you can and cant get oit of the App store.

Like Netflix lists of coming and going and staying,
Would make it so much easier.
I would be up and running already if that were the case.

Unfortunately I am buying from the bottom, spend as little as is needed to run an OS that will allow me to DL GB from the App store.
If It were the other way, or if I decided to sell some gear, then what you showed would be quite epic

2 Likes

Best save one for me Howard @howard ,
Cheers Brian

2 Likes

One made in 2015 is the Late 2014 model, and won’t be bad at all. Just slow by today’s standards. Most importantly they can run the latest OS releases (including the upcoming one).

Don’t go earlier than that though as the 2012 models are approaching end-of-life for new OS releases and the 2011 models are unsupported for the next OS release.

They are neat little machines. I have loved every Mini I have owned.

3 Likes

Man, there’s a bunch on the market now, found a couple more red ones and a green one (with a nice pic of Fumi from Polysics holding a similar one - I don’t think this is Fumi selling it):

Green is a good color for it:

8 Likes

Please stop @howard . The GAS is getting out of control

3 Likes

Imagine how I feel, I had one in my hands and passed on it :slight_smile:

I knew at the time I was going to regret it. If it had been $100 cheaper I would own it now.

3 Likes

Oh man I feel your pain. Chalk it up to life experience

3 Likes

Brian if you want a collectible one this one is also on the market, Miki Furukawa signature model, limited run SBV800:

About $1700 used.

Miki is simply great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7w2_YEq00Q&t=3384s

I love the sound of the SBVs, great tone. Just excellent basses.

5 Likes

I like that green

3 Likes

A couple that I was looking at, and they come and go quick, but this, cheap cuz of 4mg, but upgrading that is easy peasy,
But, fr4om what I can tell it is at least 2014, but I can’ be certain

That is the ultra low end. Going up to $359, you get more ram and hDD space, which, I kind of don’g care about, I have a iTB G drive external, and can swap out the Ram Sims easy enough, so if I knew that would load the right OS, I would buy it now.

Or just to get the RAM out of the way already, I could just jump to this

BUt at that point, its about $80 just for the ram, HD is the same as is everything else from what I could tell its the same year and animal, so I would probably just get the cheaper one and drop in two 8gig’s (if it takes 8’s, if not, 2 four’s, for 8 total) and call it a day.

But I need to know that one will work with the right OS and download GB from the store.

If it will, or even if more then 50% of you think they will work, I will order and try it out this weekend.

Of course, if it won’t, in the end, Amazon free returns. And if I don’t ask if it will runn GB, and they don’t tell me it won’t, then it is not “ as listed” and you get. Free return ship.

1 Like