GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome (Part 1)

Cool @juli0r,
I will do some more digging :+1:
I’m in no hurry, but I don’t understand why bass amp manufacturers don’t incorporate interfaces into their heads as this just seems like an obvious improvement.
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

Some do (like the Fender Studio and LT amps) but realistically why would you want that to be tied to an amp? It’s the same thing with effects on an amp - if they are built in to the amp, you can only use them with that amp, which you may later upgrade or sell. Much better to have them standalone so that you aren’t tied to a single amp forever.

4 Likes

As @juli0r says: separation of concerns. A DAI has a purpose that doesn’t really fit an amp, and a separate DAI has extreme portability – that you would lose if it were inside your amp head.

5 Likes

Think about more than bass. As soon as you want to record another instrument it would be a hindrance to have it built into something for one specific instrument.

6 Likes

That too.

Conceptually, the DAI belongs with your recording hardware, as that is what it is used for. Usually a computer or iOS device these days. Maybe rarely Android. Never a bass amp :slight_smile:

The fact that these amps have an audio interface is a nice feature but I would not want that to be my primary audio interface.

6 Likes

the same thing I did last week-end with my Ibanez Jet King. I paid exactly the same price for it, and I’d say that at this price it’s not really GAS, it’s more doing a good deal when it shows himsef !

8 Likes

Hi @terb; @juli0r, @peterhuppertz, @howard,
I’m getting it, thanks for the feedback, I’m not that savvy with this electronic stuff, I am pretty black and white in my thought process, and to me it sounds logical.
I have been enlightened.
Here is another example of what I mean, we buy things that have this Built into it and that built into it, and half the crap built in we will never use but it’s there just in case? That’s sort of where I’m coming from.
Cheers brian

4 Likes

Just by reading that you made me shake myself. Ewww. I avoid these as much as I can. Also the reason why I personally probably won’t ever own a Zoom. Zoom as company with their product line to me “feels” exactly like that. I call it the chinese approach to product design and I personally don’t like it at all.

I am more of a “I buy one product for a single use but for that use it’s perfect.” kind of guy. So for the chinese product design approach I’m not the right person to talk to. Sorry :wink:

5 Likes

Hi @juli0r,
I’m hearing you, it’s all good, I have a musical fidelity A5 amplifier for my home stereo, and half the stuff it has on it I would need a science degree to learn how to use it.
I just want to turn it on put a CD or DVD in my oppo player , turn the rotel pre amp on and play through my Krix speakers, i have a remote for all items and that’s even a challenge even when I want play through the tv.
I guess I’m just getting to old for all this modern technology :joy::joy::joy::+1:
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

I like this concept, and it explains more then half of my Basses. I even played a few til I wanted an upgrade and sold for profit.

However, that is a well equipped bass at a hell of a price @peterhuppertz, so no need to sell to upgrade, only to sell if you want a profit, which I doubt you do.

Good luck friend, may my luck with these things find it’s way to you.

4 Likes

Flashbacks to my Line 6 Guitar Amp.

Why? Why did I think it was a good idea?
I thought “cool! effects to play around with!”

Then I realised something: When we as a band go to gigs we usually don’t have our amps to use so basically anything I do with those effects is something I cannot replicate on stage and thus it has become utterly useless except for playing around.

Why did my 18 year old self didn’t realise that and bought a marshall or whatever in the price range? Well… hindsight - whatever. I know better now.

3 Likes

Hi @TNKA36. I use the Zoom U-22, and I am able to connect to my Ipad with this particular model. There is an upgrade Zoom U-44 that for MIDI.

All in all the DAI itself is a pretty simple device, with one purpose, to get standard musical connections to digital and into a computer or other not usually used for musical instruments / gear.

I was quite surprised when I got mine, it really is not very sophisticated at all. Of course it is more a base unit, but it will do the trick, one instrument at a time.

Some options would be, multiple inputs, MIDI, bundled with DAW software and hardware.

Which DAW are you going to use? If Garage Band, you don’t need much unless you have upgraded computer hardware, and want to be able to record a whole band at one time.

If you are just starting with basslines and playing / recording play along songs with the bass line removed, you dont need to go crazy, there are $100 USD options that are fine for this.

Even cheaper if just going bass to DAI to computer / iPad. Then there are $50 and $75 options.

HTH and does not further confuse.

4 Likes

@T_dub
That is why I looked into it and bought one. I could not see a reason to go bigger as it is just for B2B. I still have not used it, another skill tae learn. All part of this great Bass Journey
Jamie
:guitar: :slightly_smiling_face: :guitar:

4 Likes

… and it is. :frowning:

5 Likes

Aww. Sorry to hear that.
On the bright side you now still have 100$ in your budget.

3 Likes

bummer!

4 Likes

$112 in fact.
However, I don’t think it’ll be easy to find such a nice instrument in that price range.

5 Likes

@peterhuppertz perhaps a nice body for your wife to make a unique bass with her art?
Jamie
:guitar: :heart_eyes: :guitar:

3 Likes

Hi @T_dub,
Doing some more digging and come across
Person us units here at reasonable prices, not sure the quality?
Can’t get zoom u22 here only u24 @ $250 aud
Cheers Brian

4 Likes

there are a lot of other good DAI , not only the U22 and U24 :grin:

4 Likes