GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome (Part 1)

I like the pickup design. It’s super comfortable with the integrated thumb rest. It sounds pretty tight and potent. It’s a bit too light for my taste for this kind of bass and I could use a little more crisp out of the tone. Overall, it’s a good feeling bass.

3 Likes

I haven’t seen one of those before.
That green finish and dark fretboard looks great together.

4 Likes

Yeah, that’s got my attention. That’s basically an FRFR designed for bass. Drool.

3 Likes

I just noticed this cabinet a few days ago when listening to YouTube videos comparing pickups.

Yes, stacking vertically causes the coverage pattern to widen horizontally and narrow vertically. If you get enough of them stacked the loss is only 3dB per doubling of distance rather than the normal 6.

4 Likes

Really liking the new Laney Digbeth series and pricing!

3 Likes

@T_dub this bass is beautiful. Hope it works out for you man.

1 Like

Well, after working out a delivery fee, the seller drove it down fro Culver city (about 30 or so miles, but it is one of the worst stretches of freeway in the country, if not THE worst, as ti drives right in front of LAX (international airport).
Of course on a Saturday afternoon, it is not that bad, but even so, it can suck if conditions are right, if there are any day games at Dodger Stadium, or football at USC or USLA or hoarse races at Hollywood park, or any shows in west Hollywood, etc……

Never a fun drive, but he said for an extra $25, he would deliver.

Ok, fine by me.
He showed up in the parking lot of my complex, and I brought out my trusty Zoom B1-Four, headphones, and an instrument cable. I plugged it in and tested it out and it sounded awesome.
Needs new strings
Needs a good polish on the bridge and a good cleaning overall, but otherwise, it seemed to be in excellent condition.
The connection was getting a little static, and cutting in an out out, but i had to honestly chalk that up to the instrument cable i brought out with me. The connections were loose, I had to screw them tight, and then things were good for the most part, but it was still the cable, I brought the fastest one I could grab, instead of getting the quality ones unplugged from how they are set up, so what I dot was good enough, and knowing the cable, I was able to blame it on the cable.

So, down to brass tax.
Needs strings. - $20 (covers my standard slinky’s or GHS boomers)
So I told him, I will give you $220 for the bass but up your driving fee from $25 to $30, so will you do total offer of $250.

He said yes, and i am know the proud owner of another Ibanez SR bass.

I know, I have ome crow to eat, after my claims that Ibanez SR’s are flimsy, and I don’t care for the 3 band EQ, stating it had little adjustment range, and didn’t offer alot of tonal possibilities. In short, I compared them to feeling like a toy next to my Ray’s and LTD’s and Squire.

The CROW I am about to eat is this.
Ibanez SR has a model that i find fascinating, both to look at, and the feel and play of it. It does not feel flimsy, nor does it feee like a toy in any sene of the word.
The caveat is that, it is not an ordinary Ibanez SR, i i an Ibanez SRX. It has one volume, and one tone control.
Surprising it IS Active, so I guess it has an Active Tone Pot, which is interesting. New one to me, but very interesting.

Anyway, this metallic Pee green color with the pearly white pick guard is stunning to look IMO, but to fully test it out, I need to go get some strings, and do a set up, pop in a new battery, and then give it a test out.
If I love it, like I think I will, I will keep it in my collection, but if not, I will flip it. I know I will get my money back, and i believe, based on som Reverb sales, could be making a good profit, even doubling my money. But who knows, I am having fun with it for now.

Here is a shot from the Add, I will post some pictures in Show Us Your basses when I take some of the progress I make thru re-stinging it and cleaning it up.

14 Likes

Congrats @T_dub!!

3 Likes

nice bass @T_dub

Hope she is all you want her to be

4 Likes

Amazing @T_dub , she’s a looker. After the strings and setup you have to post a sound sample.

5 Likes

Good catch Toby

4 Likes

What a cool unique bass model. It’s got the SR shape without the SR contours; it’s got a different pickup and preamp combo than either of the usual choices in the SR line; and it generally just looks great aesthetically.

5 Likes

Great deal, man! Curious to hear how she’s playing!!

4 Likes

Great looking bass and I like the tone knob too!

4 Likes

So, the little GAS faiy paid me a lile visit today:

Interestingly, this little doohicky is now the most expensive piece of equipment I own, except maybe for my welder.

16 Likes

ooooooooooooooooooooooooh!

Oh no you didn’t!
NICE.
Let us know how it is, that is one super cool bit of kit.

2 Likes

yeah, not bass, but you all know I have this other side…
This is the updated family portrait, with a couple key additions this year.
The collection of ‘silver bells’ grows.
One of these is a one of a kind rarity, all are pre-WWII, in the heyday of Conn instrument manufactuer.
There are 4 key missing pieces to the group, the quest continues.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled bass GAS.

10 Likes

Pokesax

1 Like

Omg @John_E. That’s just an amazing collection.

3 Likes

The hunt for my next acquisition has begun. Today I stopped at a local music store on the west side of the island to peruse the used bass section. Not much there, but, he did have a 1991 Fender Precision Lyte made in Japan for $899.00. Anybody out there can give me more info on this model? It felt good in my hands but I know nothing about this.

7 Likes