GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome (Part 1)

What’s tone like @Al1885 ?
MM like ?

3 Likes

Neat. What is up with the neck plate? Metal tabs on the neck itself?

2 Likes

Not really. It’s more like a brighter more presence P bass. Although, the slap tone is pretty crisp, as the matter of fact everything is crisp. The asymmetrical neck is pretty cool not as wide as the Tobias but definitely comfortable.

I’m not sure if I’m sold on the electronics, it’s a bit thin for 18v system. It definitely helps with the headroom. It feels like it could handle some hot signals. The whole thing is a very attractive package for sure. A few useful and tasty tones p bass neck profile with asymmetrical neck with wheel adjustment carbon truss rod. It would shine with rounds or tape wound.

Edit: upon putting this through a few more songs I’m loving the neck. I don’t know why Fender is not putting this on more basses. It’s not a MusicMan for sure. This one lack the madness and the aggression yo typically found on a stingray but it’s very responsive. The neck feel closest to the Cutlass bass and overall feel and tonal option is somewhat similar to my Bongo.

The preamp is cut and boost so when I boost it jumps out in front. I really think that strings change would really boost the personality.

3 Likes

Stickers, lol.

It usually put on the fender with contour neck pocket. Was that the question?

3 Likes

I would either go for a 2x12 or a 4x10. Horn is a must imo. A 2x10 with a 1x15 is very nice too. At the moment I prefer a 12". I got an Ampeg 2x12, this thing is huge and heavy but it sounds amazing. I’m eyeballing the new GK NEO for two 1x12.

3 Likes

i do really like my phil jones cabs, but if i had known about this when i bought it i would have taken a really hard look at them. sooo nice.

3 Likes

i have that on a coffee mug :rofl:

2 Likes

Today I booked my work trip to Indiana for November (aka all expense paid trip to Sweetwater).
Let the making up stuff I need list begin!

5 Likes

Start with one of each of thing you don’t need but cool and go from there. Lol.

Hey @John_E, I finally figured out what’s up with the dimensions bass. The knobs are reverse. Usually the line up is bass mid treble on this one is trouble mid bass. Go figure. Once I recalibrate it sounds very decent. Still does not sound like a stingray the pickup is not as far down near the bridge like the HH model. This sits similar to the jazz bridge but with the humbucker it starts above it. Thought I share.

4 Likes

Freudian slip there :smiley:

2 Likes

Anyways, this just came today.

Genzler acoustic pro array. It’s for my nylon string but I put the fretless through it. Wow it sound just awesome.

6 Likes

Yeah, fender has been off on Jazz and P bass classifications on a few models, but mostly it goes by Body shape and neck size. Yours also has a Jazz Neck.
Most of P basses are P bass body and a P bass pick up, neck Varys, especially on signature series, where the Jazz and P bass can differ as well, like on Duff’s bass, I believe his is called a Jazz when it is a P otherwise, the neck and black headstock of a Jazz bass.
so they are pretty consistent, but also pretty consistent at being inconsistent, But for sure, I would call the Aerodyne a Jazz because of the body and neck.
Oh yeah, also they call some Modified Jazz basses, when it has a P pick up or a P neck and Modified P basses if it has a Jazz neck or jazz pick ups or P/J pick ups, so again, consistent at being inconsistent. You could make an argument for a hard line and draw it, and not cross it, but what do you do what a whiney artist wants his called something across the line? Typically you do it.

thats some serious bargaining there Jerome. Nice looking bass, I think it fits in with the element of being in Hawaii

As am I. I ordered my first instrument with custom configuration in the early 90’s, and it was a Carvin Guitar, Koa Wood, neck thru, it was an amazing instrument. it cost me at the time $666 (honestly), and in todays market from Kiesel, the same guitar would be near $2000.

Now I play bass, and I have the same fascination you do, but I almost have to have a neck thru if going Irvin, and since I have enough basses, which is probably 5x too many, I am really picky.
Plus most everything I find used in great condition is 5 and 6 string, I want a 4 string, neck thru, if I get a chance to play it and it feels amazing, then color doesn’t matter, but if I like the color or pattern better, I would be more likely to buy, and sell out a couple basses to make up for it.
But I really am not in buying position, and I have 3 basses since saying no more, only sold out 2.

congratulations on your purchase, I hope you love it.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

You have too much fun.
Or so much fun, but too much sounds more like it. But its good, life is short, live it up.

3 Likes

Duff’s bass is marketed as a precision bass actually. For all it says Jazz bass on the headstock.

4 Likes

Yes, I knew with out looking it up, it was one way or the other.
Yes, it is P with a J neck, and since he probably first modded his own basses that way, he wanted his signature to say Jazz bass even tho it was a P bass with P/J but a swapped out bolt on Jazz neck.
I can’t say for sure, but probably something along those lines.

I just recall another time discussing about P and J basses, I think it was with @John_E 's and @PamPurrs 's former Frank Bello Jazz Bass, that struck up the conversation, and I said something along the lines of the Duff being a P/J on. p body so its a P bass, and somebody showed a pic of the headstock showing it was a Jazz bass ( I recall it that way now, but couldn’t recall that when I wrote the last post, but the point was the same, they name things different sometimes and sometimes they are the same and sometimes they name them what they don’t market them or classify them as).
Thanks for the clarification, it saved me looking it up. :wink:

4 Likes

I’ll tell you one thing about Duff’s neck. When Fender wanted to make a signature bass they kept sending him over models. And Duff was never into gear, a bass felt right and played right, or it didn’t. He wasn’t into specs.

Anyway, none of the necks on the models felt right. Duff kept rejecting them. So Fender sent out a tech to measure Duff’s original neck, and come to find there was a production mistake with it. It left the factory with a neck outside of spec, but Duff liked the feel. So they reproduce the original out of spec neck for his signature bass.

7 Likes

Thats a cool story, and interesting to know.
Thanks for the info.

3 Likes

I love the sound of my Jazz bass but… I have been curious.

Sandberg does a J/M style set up. I think @joergkutter has one.

For anyone that has one of these, can you speak to the difference in the sound between this and a J/J setup.

Specifically, I’m not thrilled with the ‘quacky’ sound when the bridge pickup is more prominent and I was wondering how the humbucker sounds in that position.

4 Likes

Lakland makes some of these too and I am curious, but for a 5er.

I can record the differences on my SIMs pickups for you…if I ever get the thing back from the Luthier, sigh.

3 Likes

I actually decided to keep mine :smiley:

5 Likes