GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome (Part 1)

OOOH!
You took the plunge @JDDaniel, congrats, that is one smokin hot bass.
Guess that’s why you have a fan next too it…

4 Likes

Yep. That is nice. Is it a dark blue or is that a trick of the light?

3 Likes

That’s very nice @JDDaniel

5 Likes

Thanks @eric.kiser It’s dark blue on the back and with kind of a lighter blue swirl look on the front. They call it, “ Neptune Blue Satin.”

Here’s a stock image from their website, a little brighter.

8 Likes

Thanks @John_E. Patience paid off in this regard. It’s almost brand new, the guy bought it in 2021 and it’s been hardly used.

7 Likes

Dang, that’s really nice. I bet it’s even better looking in person.

6 Likes

Amazing color and hardware choice, love it.

7 Likes

Roasted maple neck. Drool

7 Likes

Very nice @JDDaniel ! I hope you enjoy it for many years.

6 Likes

@JerryP Did you finish getting your new bass setup?

5 Likes

I haven’t started yet as I want to have as much time as I can. Also, I’m thinking about putting on a set of LaBella Flats on at the same time.

5 Likes

Awesome find @JDDaniel .
How does she sound?

3 Likes

I think that color would be sick with a Maple fretboard.
I love maple necks, especial
darker bass bodies.

2 Likes

She sounds great. I haven’t ripped her too hard here at the house yet with just the Rumble 40 practice amp, and haven’t plugged her into my B-210 yet, but when I met the guy at the local GC to play her before buying, I had it plugged into a Rumble 500 and BAM!!! Might have to get me a Rumble 500 one of these days now. LoL

I will record a future cover with her soon.

It is in perfect shape, and for a “used” instrument, I feel like I got a pretty good deal. I was gonna try for another $50-100 off the price, but I had my negotiating legs swept out from under me. We met at a local GC, and they had a brand new one (same color and everything) hanging there in the bass section for $300+ MORE than what I paid the guy for this one.

I was thinking it was a little newer, but if not, no worries. I did email the gang at info@sterlingbymusicman.com to see what they can tell me.

Think I am gonna replace the strings asap (just because). Definitely gonna keep round wounds on this one. I’ve got some NYXL45105 round wounds I never have used, although I guess I should go with EB strings of some sort…would appreciate yours @T_dub or anyone else’s thoughts on strings for it when you have a chance.

5 Likes

I always like to put new strings on a used bass. You never know how old the strings are, and gives a chance to really clean it and oil the fretboard.

Also add strap locks first thing

5 Likes

Thanks. I know Josh recommends strap locks. I have yet to add them to any of my basses so far.

2 Likes

You’ve not had a strap slip off the button by the neck yet I bet.

2 Likes

Not yet, but I am cautious when playing. If (WHEN) I get good enough to play in front of people, I will definitely consider it.

2 Likes

Absolutely agree, @Wombat-metal . . . :+1:

At first, I didn’t think I needed anything, but I wound up using those rubber grommets and they are cheap and work well. When I got my new Ultra Jazz bass it came with Schallers strap locks, but I didn’t put them on my strap.

Guess what happened? . . . :roll_eyes:

Cheers
Joe

4 Likes

Not only that you don’t know where those hands have been. I usually bring wet wipe before testing anything and if the string is mea I take them off and put it through my ultrasonic first.

2 Likes