GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome (Part 1)

Oh I wouldn’t wait until playing in front of people.
A spin of your chair, a reach for something while playing, bend over to pick up the sheet music…you can do a lot of damage to a headstock or other bits from a chair to the floor, hitting the desk or music stand on the way down etc.

Why not spend $16-$28 to protect $100s or $1,000 in investments?

1 Like

It only takes once mate. Hope the Ultra was alright

5 Likes

Ah! I remember the first time I played in front of an audience, I TU a bit, I was so nervous, I was in front of my mirror, lol.

Believe it or not most people would not think that they are good enough to perform in front of audience but most audience think the opposite, heck more than half Don’t even know if you messed up. Lol

3 Likes

Dusty Hill start performing in his brother’s band around age 12. He came home from school and found a bass waiting for him because Rocky needed a bass player. He didn’t know much and he was out doing gigs, Rocky tapping him on the shoulder whenever it was time to change the note he was chugging.

If you can hit the root on 1 you’re ready.

5 Likes

All my children:

Sara’s out of town friend who’s visiting us asked me why there’s an empty slot on that rack. That was music to my ears. I winked at Sara and told her Christmas is right around the corner.

Maybe a 5 string Stingray would look good in that slot? (shrug)

14 Likes

Just get them now. In addition to being way safer, they are much nicer; it’s much easier to move the strap between basses or take it off for storage with the locks too.

First thing I do when I buy a bass is take off and discard the strings, clean and oil it, and put on strap locks.

4 Likes

Buying strap locks for ALL OF my basses this week.

Thanks everyone for caring enough to nudge me that way. Last thing I want is a damaged instrument, especially if it could have been prevented.

5 Likes

FYI in case you didn’t know some of the screws that are used by strap lock companies i.e Dunlop are a little bit longer and a slightly bigger gauge. So just be aware of the possibility that you might have to drill a slightly bigger hole. If you don’t and force the screw you might end up snapping it in the bass body!

Apologies if you already know this :wink:

3 Likes

I would recommend Schallers over Dunlops FWIW, having owned both styles. Nothing wrong with either, I just like the Schaller design better (and trust it a bit more.)

5 Likes

Yeah, I was wrong, your headstock is the new design. The old design, prior to 2018, said Stingray34, the new one they dropped the 34. So all three tier stingray from sterling almost look identical.

I love Slinkys, but you dont have to put hem on a stingray just because they are the same company. GHS boomers are good.
I just used a set of S.I.T. (Stay In Tune), and I love them.
But I used light weight strings, .40 to .95
I al lkng the light guage string for sure.
I have the same size set of slinkys, so I am gonna put them n a P bass and see if there if I like the Slinkys more then SIT, or if I like them equally, or even if I like SIT better.
Who knows.
I had thought thar SIT were a crappy string set cuz the packing looks cheap, they are really cheap for a set of bass strings, and the name is not exciting, so I got a set to see if I could prove myself wrong, and I did.
Some bigger names have signature set of SIT, or use them and are endorsed by them.
String pic.king is rather personal. You have to date a few, then pick one t marry.
If you cheat on them or not is entirely up to you.

3 Likes

I sure learned my lesson, @howard . . . :cold_sweat:

Cheers
Joe

4 Likes

Really sucks when it happens.

The first thing I did to my (pristine at the time) TRBX604, after unpacking it, was scratch it :slight_smile:

4 Likes

What I need are headstock cozies.
My music room is very small and narrow with low ceilings.
And these headstock have a way of finding any/every sharp metal thing in the room (of which there is 1, my music stand).

5 Likes

My practice area is approximately 1.5m by 2m if you count the desk, 2m square otherwise :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I was lucky @howard , because I grabbed it on the way down, but I still got clocked on my left ear with those big Fender tuning keys . . . bled like hell for a minute there, too! :roll_eyes:

Cheers
Joe

5 Likes

Ouch!

Careful, once they have tasted blood… :rofl:

7 Likes

I don’t even have a room or practice area. :joy: Would love to have one but I had to give up two rooms for my son’s study and bedroom. :slight_smile:

Gotta watch those Fenders vampire keys!

5 Likes

It’s shared with my work area and game computer :slight_smile:

Our condo is 3-bedroom, which for Tokyo means about 80 square meters total. This is in one of them.

6 Likes

I might translate the metrics wrong but that seems quite decent for a condo in Tokyo? I mean my house is about 90 square meter total but that seems kinda normal for an apartment in the big city.

4 Likes

Our place is not bad at all. It’s about the same size as a large 1-BR in the US.

3 Likes