GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome (Part 1)

So is the $650 tag the list price, or street?

2 Likes

Looks like $499 US

Zoom B6 manual

https://zoomcorp.com/en/gb/multi-effects/bass-effects/b6/b6-support/

4 Likes

The G6 looks like the same thing for Guitar, but its been out a while, comes with the same software, and cost $399?? Just saying, its not like they made new case our parts, so they are not adding expense, beyond to making the Bass 6 overall.
I think they would do themselves a whole lot better if they stayed at or below $400 with the B6

3 Likes

This. :arrow_up:

2 Likes

Yeah this was my impression.
I’d pay a little extra as bass is a smaller market than guitar and it’s a new product. But not the upcharge listed in the article.

Will be interesting to see what they actually retail for when they hit the shelves.

3 Likes

It doesn’t look like it can output both a wet and dry signal. Will need to read the manual more thoroughly to be certain but I would have thought that was a pretty basic requirement for a serious bit of kit.

2 Likes

Yeah you’ll often see an option for the DI out to be wet or dry.

That said I don’t think the HX Stomp does either.

2 Likes

The touch screen seems really nice on that Zoom fx unit. You usually separate dry/wet in the signal chain of your fx unit. I know that’s what I did on my HX Stomp.

2 Likes

That works great for the internal effects but prevents tracking the dry signal on a separate track in the DAW.

Immaterial for me - these days the dry track is all I want anyway though, when recording. Outboard effects are dead to me. If I got a box like this it would purely be for live use.

But for people wanting to use these things when recording the ability to have a seperate dry track is nice.

5 Likes

oh like that, yeah I think you need an interface for that anyway? It’s not uncommon to have a dry signal and a wet signal going into your DAW . Sometimes I loop my (pre)amp signal into the mix.

1 Like

Correct there’s no DI out on the HX Stomp and it’s $599. So I can see what Zoom are trying to achieve here. I like the large colour display.
Reading the manual it looks like they’ve added a bunch of pre amps that you don’t get with the Zoom B1. So the SansAmp BASS DRIVER, Darkglass Electronics Microtubes B7K etc. You could argue that if they’re any good that it’s a much cheaper option to go the B6 route rather than add a physical pre amp box. I think the B7K is around $300 on it’s own no?

2 Likes

The B1 has the sansamp and a darkglass :slight_smile:

In fact the first preset on the B1 is the sansamp.

3 Likes

@howard I guess I need to reread the manual :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Which one is the DarkGlass sim?

1 Like

It’s simulating a B7k (effect name on the B1four is “Dark Pre”.)

The Sansamp is “Bass DRV”.

Like with all Zoom products, you need to ignore the presets, put it in stomp mode, and use the effects directly to make your own pedal chains with it. 10x more useful that way; the presets aren’t so good.

4 Likes

ok, now to figure out how to put it in stomp mode, haven’t really dove in yet to that

2 Likes

Here’s the effects list, for reference.

This is by far the best way to use the Zooms. You can learn a lot about pedals, amps, cabs, effects, and effects chain ordering by playing around with these like little virtual pedalboards in stomp mode.

It actually comes with both a B7k and B3k sim :slight_smile:

The amp and cab sims are pretty good too. Not as good as ones you would use in a DAW but not bad.

1 Like

Hmm, the two big things missing for the B7K is the grunt and attack selectors, allowing you to place them on low, highs, or leave flat.
I will have to do a side by side one day to see how it stacks up

1 Like

The thing only has 4 knobs so they made choices, yeah.

Of course, they are two of dozens of effects sims bundled in a $99 unit, too. Hard to complain :slight_smile:

They aren’t going to be spot on (like, say, the Darkglass plugin is). But they should be usable.

3 Likes

I think they multi-page the settings if necessary. Not saying that they did in this specific case, just saying that they could have had those settings if they chose to. :slight_smile:

And I’ve only really used the presets so far (other than replacing a few of the presets with individual effects just to hear what that effect sounded like independently), so I’ll have to decipher what you said about using it more effectively and give that a shot…

1 Like