GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome (Part 1)

I personally like the strategy of knowing things but not letting the staff/clerks know that I do so I know if they’re bullshitting me. They may think you’re an idiot - but you aren’t so if they want to take advantage of that you’ll know.

5 Likes

Congratulations on your first bass @juli0r! How soon before we see you on the Mulitple Bass Disorder thread?

3 Likes

Do build project results count? I plan on building this kit as soon as I have my salary on my bank account which should be around 24th/25th of this month. Should it be less than expected (50% work time - lowered salary) I might have to delay that.

Also the item is currently not in stock. According to the shop 1-2 weeks delivery time but as I experienced with the DAI I ordered that may still change over time.

3 Likes

Build projects are the longer road to MBD, but it is another bass for your collection. :wink:
I admit I suffer from MBD as I have 4 now. And now that GC has fully opened in my area, who knows?
:grinning:

2 Likes

I agree - it’s still a form of MBD. However there is a reason I take the long road - I want to deepen my understanding of the instrument and how everything works together and experience for myself what the reasons for quality differences are.

It’s also cheaper and I guess fun.
Well cheaper depends I guess.

3 Likes

@juli0r I think this will be your go to bass. If she plays as good as she looks you will become very atatched to her.
Jamie

1 Like

Yes!
And despite my initial reservations regarding an active bass I love the 3 band EQ in this thing and changing it all the time.

Woah! Even more? :wink:

1 Like

very nice, sounds like a great shop.

2 Likes

Awesome, another ESP owner. I am sure wou will love and treat it well like I do both mine.

2 Likes

And then there is this. GDMFS!

Saw this listed for $1100 about a month ago. Asked if they would sell the bass only.
It’s a Schecter Elite-4. Matching my Elite-5 that I love so much ( that I also bought in a package deal, and after selling the amps, only ended up paying like $40 for the bass, case, strings and strap).
I have wanted a matching 4 string since I got it, back when I had 2 Basses, The Elite-5 and the Ibanez GSR200, I sold for profit.
This one is Dark Cherry quilted maple finish.
At least one other forum member has one, and got it in a similar deal that I got the Elite-5 in, that THIS Elite-4 is in.

They asked how much I would buy the bass for back then. I said, idk, gotta see it and it’s condition, but possibly up to $300 (mind you this is 3 or 4 Basses ago when I said that, and 3 Basses sold since then as well)

I never heard back
But…
3 weeks ago they dropped from $1100 to $1000
Then
2 weeks ago they dropped from $1000 to $700
Then
Last week they dropped from $700 to $500

I told myself after they dropped to $700, that if it ever went to $400, I would get it.

I was looking at the add a few min ago, and while I was looking at it, before my eyes, it dropped to $400.

Damn it. I am pretty sure I could sell the amps for $150

If the bass is in great shape, I may get it.
If it were the same Orange as my Elite -5, we would have been having this conversation back at $700 probably.
All I sent in the message is I want to come see it, so no deal has been arranged. No reply has even come back yet, but if I go, I may have a nice ampeg amp and another little amp for sale.

I will keep the bag, I don’t have any carry bags, I only have one hard case for all my Basses.

Or the bass could be in shit shape and I won’t get it at all.
I am pretty sure the person selling it knows nothing about it.

4 Likes

My first bass I bought was the ESP LTD. C-10. Moved down a notch to my second favorite, but the being the first I owned it has a special spot to me and I still have it of course.

5 Likes

There’s something special about your first bass isn’t there? Like that first car; it’s just like that.

I don’t think I’ll ever part with my Squier; if I did, I know that one day I’d regret it even if it’s a lowly Squier.

5 Likes

Ditto that, @kwt7667 . . . :+1:

I’m super happy with mine . . . think it must have been built on a Friday

(it wasn’t my first bass, either :wink: )

Cheers, Joe

3 Likes

I had no problems selling my first bass (TRBX304) because I simply upgraded it to a better version of itself (TRBX604) :slight_smile:

4 Likes

My Squier was a bit adulterated when I bought it, so I had to restore it back to Squier-esque condition – with Fender parts and some Seymour Duncan pickups! So now it’s more than a Squier and a bit less than a Fender. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

The first bass I bought in my life was a Hondo.

We shall not speak of this again.

6 Likes

Now I want to speak of this! :smile_cat:

4 Likes

I had no problems selling my first bass after it went unplayed for 2 weeks in the closet.

2 Likes

I still enjoy playing it, it’s just not my primary. I suppose if that ever changed maybe I would part with it. My Lakland is my first choice…just so smooth to play

3 Likes

I misunderstood at first. I thought you stopped playing bass and pawned it some time in the past. I think if the Ibanez Gio would be mine it would suffer the same fate.

The ESP on the other hand. I currently can’t imagine giving that one away again.

2 Likes