GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome (Part 1)

I plan to speak of this many times, just to maintain my reputation as an annoying little imp.

5 Likes

Yeah, remember I had like 4 other Basses I was playing daily and a 5 string I play some, and one was a Ibanez SR300, and I hate to say, once you go SR, there is no chance of going back to the GSR for any serious play

3 Likes

Why?
I managed two days without checking and today I relapsed.

Related: The Herr Schwarz is still available :star_struck:

3 Likes

Not sure what you mean? Are you asking why I didn’t play the Gio?
What did you relapse from?

2 Likes

Wasn’t directly related to your post.

“Why did I have to go and check if the Herr Schwarz is still available?” would be the full sentence.

2 Likes

Makes much more sense.

I couldn’t understand why you would question me not playing the GSR when I am playing an SR300, SR400, LTD B-4E and SUB stingray at the time (even tho that SUB RAY was in the same category as the GSR when comparing to the Stingray I now have). I thought you were saying you lasted 2 days after getting your LTD that you picked up your first “borrowed” bass.

Why I said it’s different when I have 4 other Basses to play.

Now the dust has settled, and that’s all cleared up…

Question.
1- have you played your first bass since getting your LTD?
2- if not, will you be returning it?
3- if yes, will you be returning it?
4- if you are playing both Basses (at all, even in 80/20%), and you return it, what bass are you going to replace it with? (Nothing not an option)
5- will you look at that Cort, or will you search for something different?
Thanks for being the NEXT contestant on THE BASS IS RIGHT

2 Likes

Not at all. Except for some comparison tests.

Probably on my fathers birthday (08.08) so I can return his equipment and give him a bass lesson by me voucher

N/A - Conditions not met

Probably something different to be honest. As said somewhere else - I noticed more and more little things that I either dislike about the Cort or that the production of the bass was cheaper. E.g. the neck was not all smooth but had rough spots where the fret bars were put in.

P.S: Yes - the birthday is easy to remember. Close family is all in august and it’s 8, 14, 28 - fater, mother, brother. I myself took my time compared to them and waited until september to see this world :smiley:

2 Likes

What about other Cort models? I like the one others posted pics of, with the natural wood, 3 band EQ and I beleive neck thru design?

I have never had the opportunity to play a Cort.

I have played (totally unrelated, but for some reason reminds me of some Corts) Toby model Tobias by Epiphone. I really liked it what little I got to play with it. It was like new at a pawn shop, and not very much, at or under $200 IIRC.
Being that I liked it, and that it really felt good playing it, I could see getting one sometime.
Of course it has a whole different allure to me personally that I will explain in a second.

I think it may have been the same as what @JoshFossgreen reviewed for best beginners Basses. May be what makes me think of Cort as well. I think It lost out to the Cort which lost out to the TRBX, and May have even had some negative points brought up about it, but, it was rated as a Maybe buy where the GSR200 was rated as DO NOT BUY, and I clearly didn’t listen to that. Lol (full disclosure, I saw the review after buying it, and I made the most out of my time with it, and there were never regrets or hard feelings)

Anyway, and last.y, back to what the special allure to this bass has for me…
Drum roll…

Drum tracks

Ha ha couldn’t resist, watch Josh’s finger excercise video if you don’t get that joke.

Really tho, It would be cool to own a bass named after you, or for you, or that you were named after, or you simply share a name with…:rofl:

2 Likes

I am not interested in a second bass for quite a while except that one that’s just too damn expensive.

I think Cort has its place but after my first bass buying journey I tend to think that it’s the manufacturer who produces basses with features above their price range for the sake of quality. Could be wrong with that because by now it’s just a feeling and not a certainty.

The TRBX was my favorite in the video and may be an option. I doubt I’ll want another fretted 4 string for quite a while though.

2 Likes

You start playing in that band, or another, and start going to practice often, and stop wanting to lug your LTD around all the time, or leave it where you practice, so you can head straight to practice from work…
Start playing shows in rowdy environments where sweat, thrown beer, rowdy fans start becoming concerns…
You may consider another bass for practice, a beater for loud rowdy shows, and who knows, next thing you are sitting with 5 Basses, just out of need.

Then again…yeah, you just keep playing in in a band and see.

2 Likes

Well if I have to drive to work again that’s a good point.
As I mentioned I don’t own a car so the carrying aspect is something to consider for me - then again with the band I’ll go to band practice in a month the practice room is next to the tram station as well as my flat is.

So I stumble out of my flat, go 3 minutes into the tram, drive 5 minutes, go 5 minutes to the practice room.

2 Likes

To take it in another direction, I have a GAS question.

I was looking at these. I know many have recording set ups, making this not necessary…
Or maybe because of the set up and use with a DAW, they are handy…
Idk,
But either way, I have equipment to be able to record, but am finding it a pain in the ass with only an IPad.
I know I will get there some day, but even so, this still looks like a handy and useful device for what I am wanting to be able to do.

I am finding myself, more and more playing riffs I come up with, that sound, well, IMO, pretty freaking bad ass. Sometimes unrefined, sometimes pretty perfect.
I am not really song writing, and am not really there yet where I am just sitting down to compose a full length bass part for a song…
But
When I am wanting to, I want to have these bass riffs available for me to go back to.
Idk about how easy that would even be, to be able to record and more importantly, organize them in a way that will be helpful for me to go back and work with easily in GB on an IPad. It might, but IDK
But because my recording stuff is not set up and left in place, because I use the iPad for everything else I do, it does not sound convenient to use for riff recording.

So, I was looking into this pedal. It is not a looper, and I have a couple loopers in my Zoom”s as it is, but it is a riff recorder. And you can use it with your DAW, or it’s own software or app (maybe) and name and organize however you like.
It’s as easy as power (9v when not by all your stuff) plugging bass into the input, and playing the riff (possibly need a pre amp or Zoom B1Four or similar before it, not 100% sure yet) and recording what and how you play it, rhythm, tempo, slap, pluck, pop, pick, etc…

Right now I am taking a lot of time writing it out in my notes on my iPad, just to have something.
It’s a pain. I could record the sound acoustically with my phone, or record video acoustically, but organizing that stuff is a pain in the ass without a computer to download it to.

Lons story (as usual) short…

Anybody have experience with or have a TC Electronics WireTap pedal, or a similar product?

2 Likes

How crowded are the trams? When you say tram, I picture NY subways, and see you standing, people pushing, shoving, tripling into you, knocking you and your bass, in a soft backpack type case, all about.
But they may be much more civil near you.
Plus, I have been on a New York subway twice, and it was not terrible, but was not rush hour either.

Why a month? I must not be caught up with your other thread

3 Likes

Avoiding rush hour they usually are.
Also Line 16 (the one driving here) doesn’t always end on the same stations. The crowded trains usually end in Bonn, while I have to get to Wesseling and some of the trains stop in wesseling. Those are usually empty because there are just three stations left.

3 weeks to be exact. They invited me on 14.07 for band practice and since I asked if they have any material for me to practice they sent me 3 recorded songs with notes.

3 Likes

WTF is 1407, that’s like 600 years ago.:grin::rofl::joy::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

July 14th I presume. 7/14/2020. Or simply 7/14
Haha. Sorry, that just looks weird to me.

2 Likes

I like the way it’s written here, going from big to small: 2020/07/14

Could also just say Bastille Day I guess :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yes - that was the date I was talking about.
I like my units in either ascending or descending order. Month/Day/Year doesn’t make any sense at all. The explanation I got when discussing the topic was: “It’s how we say it - 4th of july. Day first, then month.”
@howard s way is the one I use everytime when coding. Well… To be exact the ISO 8601 date format. We already have established me being a nerd. We don’t need to talk about that :nerd_face:

I’ll remember to use the date format without any ambiguity in it, namely the one howard uses, in the future to avoid possible confusion.

So it doesn’t go ignored/overlooked and get on route to thread topic again: WireTap Pedal Post
I myself have not any experience but it seems it requires a bluetooth connection and the app for that is less than stable: TC Electronic Customer Service

That’s big to small to big if you are talking numeric value.

1 Like

I was talking about date units :slight_smile:

YYYY/MM/DD

4 Likes

Not necessary. I was just poking fun. I like the variance we have, coming from different cultures.

I, like, 4th of July, or Cinco de Mayo, or I was born January 22nd, 1972 (1/22/72). It feels normal to me, therefore right TO ME.

I like and think it interesting the way others write it for whatever cultural, ISO, or nerdy reason it feels / IS correct to the writer.

And I was poking fun at @howard in a friendly way about the way he wrote it, or the reason why. It’s all in fun, so please keep writing it like that.

Thanks for your reply to the WireTap.
It can be connected with usb as well, to more stable applications from what I gather, but am interested to hear more about things like that.

Also, if this is simply a bad pedal / purchase…
Other then a loop station, what are alternatives, in pedal format, if there are others out there.

2 Likes