GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome (Part 1)

Yup, it’s an NG3. I guess the color (Mopar Purple - it’s a metallic purple) is being discontinued at that.

I was a bit worried about the color, because nearly all the pictures on line just make it look kind of “black on dark purple”, but it’s definitely a looker up close. I wouldn’t have said no if it came in the same purple amethyst their combustion series has for an anniversary edition though :rofl:

8 Likes

:open_mouth:

4 Likes

It’s gorgeous. Don’t change a thing :slight_smile:

Really looking forward to hearing how it sounds and what you think of it.

6 Likes

Seriously that’s close to my ultimate bass. If only it were a 4 string :rofl:

7 Likes

Don’t worry, @howard, I wouldn’t even dream of putting my favorite tacky colored strings on this one :rofl: some new strap locks, and that’s it.

My breaker panel suffered as part of an unfortunate plumbing accident before the weekend, and of course, the only breaker to give out permanently was my office. Had to unroute the wires and pull out my pedal board, but played it for a hour+ tonight ; it plays like a dream. I’ve been working on the song Think About Things by Daði Freyr, and this thing slaps/pops wonderfully (me, not so much, but the bass is doing great at it).

I’ve gotten a lot of different tones out of it too, and don’t feel at all like it’s just a prog metal bass like a lot of people seem to think the NG series is for - but the stock 3 pickup version routes a but different than the 2 - which is fine by me, since I was hoping for more of a combustion with the dark glass preamp :slightly_smiling_face:

Those three pickups take up more space than you’d think, so I’m getting used to there being less clearance - but that’s not really an issue beyond some new muscle memory.

New breaker gets here Friday, so maybe this weekend I’ll record a few lines across a few settings to share!

6 Likes

In the middle Of the neck they are straight. For the low strings close to the head, they look normal. It’s really the high strings near the head that have to get cheated a little higher. If you forget, you land in the middle of the fret instead of up against the fret wire.

7 Likes

a second Line 6 Bass POD Pro , just in case :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

5 Likes

LOL, I never noticed the effects names until now. Large Pie! Pig Foot and Rodent are classic too.

(for the folks who aren’t distortion pedal geeks those are puns on the Big Muff, Pig Hoof and Rat, three iconic fuzz/distortion pedal lines)

5 Likes

@terb You always need a spare :slight_smile:
Jamie

4 Likes

sure, at least for the gear we always use … which means that I need a second DOD FX84 compressor … and a second MIA Fender Precision … :v::grin:

6 Likes

Actually getting a second milk box might not be a bad plan :slight_smile:

6 Likes

sure … same for the second PB … :face_with_hand_over_mouth: … I’m not 100% kidding

7 Likes

Would you like a template for a 51 P-Bass @terb ?
Jamie

5 Likes

I’m with you on this… I have 2 basses setup the same… strings, neck, shape, make. Both MTDs Kingston model.

Color and electronics are different, BUT they are very similar if I need to swap between instruments at a gig, or jam.

6 Likes

I’m considering buying one but I don’t know when I will have enough time to build a body from scratch ! even if I have the wood and the tools

8 Likes

Well, I did it again. Two Ampeg 115 cabs and a PF800 head. Should be here Monday.

9 Likes

Awesome @Gorch

7 Likes

I blame everyone on here but couldn’t resist the deal on Sweetwater for zoom B1xFour demo model they had…not like I didn’t have effects options with the rumble 40 studio that came in last week, but I wanted the looper and rhythm options on the zoom…hopefully this is enough of a fix to keep any more GAS at bay

8 Likes

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

6 Likes

@howard By some manner of good bad luck*, my breaker is fixed and I recorded some poorly played tracks for you on the NG3 :rofl: . I tried to play as consistently bad as possible, as to not color the perception of the different configurations :wink:

Volume up all the way, EQ is dead center, and I went through the pickup selector as shown here (labels 1,2,3,4): Home - Dingwall Dingwall

Recorded through a Dark Glass Elements (pass through) into my Motu M4 with the gain about half way up. Normalized the tracks, and trimmed a bit of silence.

The “Crappy Slap’n” file I twiddle the knobs a bit, but only recorded it once.

https://firebasestorage.googleapis.com/v0/b/k8ty-283303.appspot.com/o/public%2Fng3_demo_exports.zip?alt=media&token=c1c66ad9-e640-45bd-a74b-bcf220dcbef1

• Good bad luck = my new breaker didn’t fit, but when I put the old one back it stopped tripping.
6 Likes