GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome (Part 1)

Oh man. Bright and full sounding. I love it.

6 Likes

It turns out, in the least surprising turn of events ever, that your bass and my distortion pedal sound pretty amazing together:

That looks like just a normal Combustion too, not a NG3 :slight_smile:

(edit: it’s a NG2 :))

6 Likes

daaaaaaaaaaaaamn

Ok, so Nathan is awesome, and is at home on a 6, but still - yeah, a Combustion 4 might be my pinnacle bass.

7 Likes

Certainly is a nice looking bass :scream:
I’ve been giving a lot of thought about what my ultimate bass might be and at this moment in time if I had the cash it would have to be a 1963 P bass. P bass because I’m enjoying mine so much and 63 so it would be as old as me lol

6 Likes

In that fashion, guess I should be looking for a '72 Stingray. Unfortunately it didn’t come out til '76, the bicentennial.
Oh well, in that case, I will settle for the new orange animal one, but since there are two styles, and combined they probably cost half of what a 63 P would cost, I will take one of each.

4 Likes

I’m one of those guys who have a Fender of its birth year. (F65 1980, bought very recently) useless but kinda classy.

otherwise, yeah, a P is not a bad choice. not sure if a 63 would be better than a 2020, but that’s pretty much the same incredibly efficient design.

5 Likes

Interesting :thinking:
I’ve just bought a 2020 ( admittedly an MIM) and I’m going to retrofit a set of 63 reproduction pickups to try and get closer to the vintage sound

2 Likes

why not, if that’s what you’re looking for. I can give you some advices here, because I’ve been into very-high-end “boutique” pickups since 20 years … so here are two (valuable I think) advices :

• that’s counter intuitive but Fender pickups are generally not very good. if you replace your pickups, don’t get Fender replacement pickups. (there are some exceptions, in the Custom Shop range, but really good Fender pickups are rare, even in the CS range).
  • for true vintage tone I’d go for Lindy Fralin or Seymour Duncan Antiquity pickups. the Fralin are probably the best thing you can buy. yes, that’s expensive. but you buy it once and you have it forever.
6 Likes

Thanks for the advice @terb
Very much appreciated :+1:

5 Likes

That series has really lost a lot without Lee, what happened there?

3 Likes

@howard yeah, those are some wicked videos. I think I came across the microtubes one before I was looking at a Dingwall, as I know I’ve seen it before, but didn’t notice the bass he was using (at the time).

Just curious, what do you like about the Combustion, over the NG?

From what I gather, the pick ups and pre amp are different, but originally (i.e. the 2 pickup configuration) there was a big difference in placement, and thus sound (though they were all routed for 3, so you could swap to whatever you wanted…). I’m curious about the difference in the 3 pickup version, since that should limit one more difference in configuration. Maybe some of the default paths from the selector are still different.

I will say, that with the combustion series, I like the overall looks of the quilted maple and bursts and what-not, though I do prefer my particular NG solid color metallic purple one. The purple swirl would be cool too, but I only saw one or two of those, and they were in a 4 string.

3 Likes

He only appears in guitar videos, if I remember correctly. I really like the jam sessions they put out with these videos.

2 Likes

Actually I didn’t realize you could get the NG’s as a 4-string, I had thought you would need to go with a normal Afterburner or Combustion to get a 4.

I definitely want the tone capsule and the alder body, so yeah, it would be a NG2 or 3.

3 Likes

Good thing I asked :rofl: I think the 4 string Nolly’s were a “popular demand” thing as well, and probably “recent” as far as the line goes ( couldn’t seem to quickly find any dated info, so I’m half-remember a lot of the youtube videos I was watching).

BTW if you’re a Darkglass fan, have you seen this little gem? Element – Darkglass Electronics I picked one up on the spot, and LOVE IT. Wonderful cab sims stock, and you can load up others.

Here is a BassTheWorld review of it

6 Likes

Ooh. That looks awesome. Would be a nice replacement for my el cheapo headphone amp.

5 Likes

Doooooo it!!!

4 Likes

Two Ampeg 115 cabs and an Ampeg PF-800 head came in today. Tried them out to make sure they worked but I can’t “really” play them yet. Not enough space here. When I get them set up at church I’ll report and post pics.

It's time to part with the GK 212's I guess... :O(
3 Likes

My GK cabs would be a nice replacement for your headphone amp…

3 Likes

That was @howard headphone amps. I have a few items I currently use as headphone amps, and a couple heads, a cab and a practice amp. if I had room, they would make good for the GK head I have, but nowhere to store them right now.

3 Likes

Well, it’s Darkglass, so the headphone amp is $250. So, not at the moment :slight_smile:

6 Likes