GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome (Part 1)

i guarantee you could sell them and pay for one with the profits. that’s what i did, kept a few faves (like my always on VST) and sold the rest. ta da, instant stomp pedal and smaller pedalboard.

or you could go full @howard and chuck it all and go all on computer nerd. which btw i’m fairly sure is the way to go, but i still like having an amp.

5 Likes

Yeah I already sold 2 amps. I do like analog gear, but for me personally amp & cab sims is the way to go. I’m still balancing between full computer nerd and multi-fx pedals into a monitor. Selling my Ampeg SVT will be a very tough decision :laughing:

With the current inflation in Europe it’s kinda hard to sell stuff for a decent price. Trade market is blooming, just traded my audio interface for a premium microphone.

5 Likes

I can definitely see the merits of the full computer approach of DAW and plugins but I’m resisting it for the moment. I use computers way too much in my professional life and I’m resisting going too far down that rabbit hole in my Bass playing in case it becomes too much like work. :smiley:

4 Likes

Same here, I’m a software developer and spend far too many hours in front of a computer as it is.

4 Likes

I was just talking about this the other day. I work with servers to pay for my basses, and after dealing with technial computer things all day, I don’t want to do it when I get home. So I am more into pedals, which probably is the smartest thing, but works for me.

5 Likes

As a bedroom bassist who doesn’t work with computers the Helix Stomp is brilliant. Not super complicated for a Luddite like me but packed with amps, pedals that I can try but could never afford to buy.

The Zoom B1 is good but this is head and shoulders above that.

6 Likes

I’m poacher turned gamekeeper. :smiling_imp:
Ex C/C++ developer, now software QA manager.

5 Likes

I didn’t know any of this existed, though thinking about it I probably forgot about the Airstep. It looks handy. The XTONE looks like using it with my iPad or iPhone would be a pita of adapters. Right now my iRig HD 2 just plugs into either with a single cable.

I’ll look into them when I’m more able to, today’s been a shitshow of a day :smiley:

But thank you!

Edit It looks like between the Pro and one of the wireless foot pedals I’d be pretty set… Hmm :thinking: (or use a wired much cheaper MIDI pedal since it has MIDI In/Out. Getting into Gear Bloat now…)

2 Likes

I would have went Daw and sim route if I were to do it over again, not likely I will ever gig :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

Who isn’t? :rofl:

3 Likes

I’m not. I’m a professor who teaches software developers… :grin:

7 Likes

And I was an actual gamekeeper :joy:

4 Likes

(I know not everyone is a software developer; but we are pretty thick on the ground both here and everywhere else on the internet :rofl: )

3 Likes

Anyone ever tried JOYO stuff? $70 for a compressor pedal with LED indicator? I think it’s a clone of the MXR M87.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004194020562.html

3 Likes

Never tried one but I’ve got an M87 and pretty happy with it

1 Like

I absolutely loved the JoYo mini amps. This could be good too

3 Likes

“Looks like a software problem to me” -Hardware Engineer

6 Likes

Hey gang. I was going through my local shop, going through basses on offer, and found “FENDER 1965/66 Jazz Bass CAR Custom Colour Matching Headstock” for 22k USD.

I am not going to buy it. But, I am just curious for whom is an instrument like this? It’s heavily used, so I guess it’s not a great showpiece on a wall. I know a couple of people who are professional musicians and their instruments are in the 3 - 4k $ range. In this case, I am just really curious who would buy an instrument in this shape for such a sum of money?

3 Likes

Pricey but it does have a certain charm. I could be tempted if I was filthy rich

3 Likes

At that price range mainly collectors.

5 Likes