GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome (Part 1)

Fender Cultists

4 Likes

@wellbi keywords to that discussion would be words like vintage, roadworn etc.

True vintage gains its value because of its rarity. For some people, damage or scars add to the character of the instrument.
This is why so-called “relic guitars” are so trendy, and therefore more expensive.

Here is an example of a brand new Fender relic bass:
http://www.fendercustomshop.com/basses/precision-bass/58-p-bass-heavy-relic-maple-neck-aged-black/

Or brand new Fender parts that look old:

For me personally, those are just damaged instruments. But hey, each to their own, right?
If there are customers willing to pay for it, let them :slight_smile:

3 Likes

CEOs and hedge fund guys.

3 Likes

Yeah. To me, “vintage” is just a nice way to say obsolete.

4 Likes

Thinks for replies. … I am actually really tempted to try it out at the shop. Luckily my GAS have sent a lot of money to this store, so I guess they will actually think that I am really tempted to dish out the money, so they will try their best to sell it to me. I feel kind of an asshole, but … I actually want to see how different will be the tryout experience of 20k instrument in comparison to my usual “a few hundreds to couple thousand” shopping. Will eventually let you know how it went.

3 Likes

Careful @howard some unkind younger BassBuzzers might think you and I are ‘vintage’ :wink:

6 Likes

That would make a lot of us prehistoric @Barney :scream:

3 Likes

I think I am vintage :rofl:

3 Likes

I’m just plain old

4 Likes

3 Likes

Switches….bitches….

What it will do, coming soon

6 Likes

radial makes a footswitch that i really want, switches between the four channels on my jx-42.

this (proprietary, of course) switch costs $300.

there are times that i really really hate radial.

2 Likes
5 Likes

Hey @PamPurrs - better delivery times to you!

4 Likes

So, the GAS fairy paid me a visit on Friday and brought this little gem.

it’s got a tuner that’s not half bad, but I bought it mainly for the metronome function. it does the normal click, but also 8 different beat patterns. Anyone recognize the one on the screen? Hint: clank!

4 Likes

Lol yeah, I was looking into XLR splitters and I came to the same conclusion.

2 Likes

Cool reminds me of Korg. I still fancy my Korg tuner and metronome. The tuner is still my favourite.

and…

So cheap and yet so useful.

1 Like

Does Sweetwater block visitors from Europe of the website? Every time I browse to Sweetwater it says the website is offline.

1 Like

What is this “Europe” you keep talking about??? :rofl:

3 Likes

Yeah lol I should say The Netherlands but I kinda assumed that they would “block” any non US country. It’s not the first time I am seeing this behaviour from a US based company (who don’t ship out USA) to lower server costs.

Or maybe they only blocked my IP?

It kinda sucks since I really like to browse Sweetwater and I cba to install or pay for VPN again.

2 Likes