GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome (Part 1)

:point_up_2: :100:

2 Likes

I’ve owned a set of MDR-V6’s (the pro monitor the 7506 is based on) for many years. They are indeed the classic studio monitor 'phones. Probably the most common monitors in the world.

However, I haven’t used them since I got my Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pros. Much more comfortable, and I love the open-back design.

3 Likes

Wow @John_E you weren’t kidding about the cost of the Bassrig.

1 Like

For open-back headphones, I’ve got a set of Audeze LCD-X. Amazingly comfortable.

I use them to listen to FLAC recordings along with a Schiit Bifrost LYR 2 Hybrid Dynamically Adaptive Headphone Amp/Preamp and a Schiit Bifrost DAC.

I also bought a Pono Player back in the day, but I haven’t used it since I upgraded the entire system. Yet another expensive hobby. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Ok, so I got the Sony MDR 7506’s and… I think I am not convinced.

Sound wise they are quite, hmm, harsh in trebles. To the point, where it is actually unpleasant. All hi-hats, string noises, old vinyl crackling etc. are very well in the front, and then there is everything else. Bayerdynamics were better balanced.

Comfort wise I am on the fence. The clamping force is fine, but somehow I feel the pressure on the top of my head. Also, I feel that the earcups are quite small and it feels a bit boxy. After 30 minutes my ears were quite hot already. On the other hand, they are quite comfortable from the perspective of someone who wears glasses.

I knew that this is going to be a drama :man_facepalming: It always is for me…
I went through 5 pairs when buying my in-ear headphones for my phone calls.

2 Likes

Maybe try one of these?. No clamping issues.

9 Likes

Seriously though these are mine. Open backed Sennheiser HD 598SR

I wear them for hours and hours and don’t notice. Comfiest headphones I’ve ever had.

5 Likes

Reference monitors headphones or speakers are somewhat tricky, good ones are usually so clinical that would leads to mixing in too much bass. I like the Sennheiser HD 280 pro. It’s reasonably price and provide more realistic playback condition. Any of the V Moda will do great jobs as well.

I used to do all my mixed down with the HD 800s and got the opposite result, lol. What sounded great on the headphones, sounded like crap everywhere else.

The best and cheapest anywhere anytime for me is the Koss Kph30i. Though it’s on ear not over the ear but what sounds good there usually sounds good everywhere.

2 Likes

I have that Rumble too and it’s surprisingly light

3 Likes

No one knows your ears better than you @jacq. I guess you’re correct that you’re going to have to try several before you land on the headphones that work.

I don’t experience any of the issues you mentioned with the Sony 7506, but that’s me. I don’t know where you bought the Sony 7506, but I hope you can return or exchange them. Good luck.

5 Likes

@MikeC no issues with returns, but I have not decided yet.
They are kind of growing on me the more time I spend listening through them :slight_smile:

On the other note:
Together with headphones, I ordered iLoud Micro monitors. They would be perfect for my needs and available space. But the white noise you could hear through them is astonishing. They sound great when the music is on, but I can’t stand the constant noise.
A quick google search shows that there are plenty of others who are quite surprised and disappointed.
Conveniently this one is easy to return too.
I am not prepared to pay for Genelec 8010a. Unfortunately, there is not much choice in the tiny/portable studio monitors department. I basically want something that sounds bigger than my Macbook speakers and that does not add too much color to the sound.
Maybe JBL 104’s?

3 Likes

I don’t know about JBLs. I’ve got Genelecs I’ve used for years as my video editing monitors. They’re pricey, but also a true example of you get what you pay for. They sound pristine and are bulletproof.

1 Like

I find the over-ear, open backs a lot more comfortable than the Sony’s too.

All studio monitors will have a pretty flat response. It does not sound like what you are used to. This is actually what you want when mixing so that you can hear everything equally. For the final mix, you then need to listen on a variety of things and maybe make an educated guess to get things right.

4.5" is starting to get on the small side. The 305P’s I have are not much more and would be better.

2 Likes

Horses for courses. As much as I would like to get them, they are way too expensive for occasional use. These iLouds were already quite a stretch of budget. I use headphones 99% of the time currently. Partially because I don’t have any speakers (apart from laptop ones). But getting speakers will only get that from 99% to maybe 95% :slight_smile:

I completely get that. But I was comparing it to Bayerdynamic DT 700 X Pro, which are studio monitors as well, right?

Again, I wish I had the luxury to put decent-sized monitors on my desk. I don’t have enough space. The only other option would be to put larger speakers on the stands above my displays. But that AFAIK is not advisable. The main purpose of my desk is my day job in IT. Music is my hobby.

3 Likes

I’ve come to believe that good and high quality headphones and speakers are best for after mixing. Just not during the mix. It’s very nice to rediscover the sounds with them.

4 Likes

The reason you want them during the mix is to catch problems that would be masked by the response curves of most consumer headphones that emphasize bass and high end. These can often mask problems in the low and hi mids, or far high end.

You need to listen to the final product using a variety of things to get a good picture. Including monitors, yeah, for sure… but ideally also your target audience :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That I agree 100%. I usually listen in my car after first mix. Usually reveal 90% of the trouble spot.

3 Likes

Had to look that up. No idea what it meant.

But, of course. I wasn’t suggesting you buy Genelecs. They’re just what I’ve used for work forever. Different strokes for different folks. :racehorse:

2 Likes

A deal

I gassed today. I had some coupons and discount codes, stacked them up and picked it up for $270.

Want to move the Dimarzio Relentless pup from the Harley Benton and sell it. Probably just swap pups.

Or I’ll put my Duncan SPB2 or Dimarzio Model P in it. One of the three

I don’t need another bass but this was just waiting for the right deal to show up.

8 Likes

darn, if i woulda saw this it woulda saved me money on the p bass i just got lol

3 Likes