GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome (Part 1)

Somebody should make this as a T Shirt slogan on the front with the BassBuzz logo on the back.

6 Likes

So we go back to waiting. The bass is boxed and label created, but not picked up by UPS yet. Oi vey.

Since I will probably put the Relentless pup in it, the Billy Sheehan pup, I ordered a set of Billy Sheehan strings for it. I have no love for Fender rounds. Fender flats are okay.

To go with this, I will swap the angle iron bridge for the Wilkinson bridge which is off my Stream. The beat moves on.

5 Likes

Did you ever have a chance to “play around” with the Re/Q, Dave??

1 Like

Thanks. After your post, I ordered AKG 712 PRO’s just to have a comparison, as I have never used any open backs.
That was a good move. I like them a lot. Well balanced. Trebles are clear but don’t bite.
Comfort wise… Well, there is no comparison to anything I tried before.
Also, the detachable cable (and the connector itself) does not cause any issues like the one on Bayerdynamic DT 700 Pro X.

4 Likes

You’re welcome, no more hot ears :fire:

5 Likes

I also can’t stand the pressure with closed back. My ears are very complicated :laughing:

3 Likes

I haven’t. I already have EQ out the wazoo. I have a little digital signal processing box that I can program similar to what would happen in a DAW.

3 Likes

So, you’d use it mainly as a “set-and-forget” kind of device?? Or perhaps you can store and recall (easily) several saved settings?
(Sorry if all this has already been asked and discussed :smile:)

2 Likes

Definitely stay away from Blue headphones. Their springs are so strong it’d probably takes a few years to break them in. I have 3 pairs while they sound great I can’t wear them more than an hour, maybe even less.

3 Likes

No, not at all. It’s just me using gear I have sitting around from other audio applications on bass just because I have it. The only interface to it is through control panels on a laptop. It could easily store and recall presets with buttons, but it doesn’t talk MIDI, so getting knobs to talk to it would be a whole thing. Nobody else would use this. I just happen to have it on a shelf and it keeps me from buying preamps because I can draw in any filter I want.

The Source Audio EQ2 is infinitely adjustable, but it only has the one knob. So, it’s fine for preset recall or not needing to fiddle around with a knob. The Source Audio EQ2 could easily be set up with the same filters as the Genzler re/Q without the direct controls.

I also like the design of the Empress ParaEQ quite a bit. It’s only missing the HPF and LPF from the Genzler re/Q.

For me, I simulate both those pedals together without spending money over what I already have . . .

3 Likes

I am really starting to appreciate using these lately.

4 Likes

I have the Sheehan strings on my Peavey Patriot. I love the heavy gauge E (.110) and the fact that even though they’re rounds, they are very smooth to play. I think you’ll enjoy them. They’re bright, but very sonorous. To me, they’re great for slap bass. I’m doing the Stu Hamm funk bass lessons on this bass.

4 Likes

They are the very first things you should do when EQing bass. Trim away the low end mud (always) and extreme high end noise (depends).

4 Likes

That’s cool, Dave - thanks for explaining! The re/Q looks quite interesting, if a bit pricey…

The Berg has those, of course, but you need to access menus, and can’t easily switch them on and off…

I am constantly struggling with tone in a rehearsal setting (very different from playing at home), and might have to look into a more flexible solution for EQ’ing, such as the re/Q. For example, the new bass I got has a lot of low end, which is cool, but muddies things up if not tamed a bit. LPF and EQ’ing might be the solution…

3 Likes

HPF. You want to have the shoulder around 50Hz, in my experience.

You can be more surgical if you want but that works really well and makes the whole mix sound much better. Especially the kick but really everything is less muddy.

Might have to do it to the keyboards too.

4 Likes

Ha, yes, you are right - I always confuse those two :joy:

For a 4-string, yes! Probably a bit lower for a 5’er!?!

I am not even thinking of a recording mix here - just the live sound in the rehearsal room. And I doubt any of the other players is looking into EQ’ing to improve things :innocent:

4 Likes

It doesn’t really matter. The problem you are fixing is trimming mud that accumulates in that space, not shaping around your particular instrument. All the instruments pile up subharmonics down there and the bass is the worst offender. Trimming it helps everything. It’s also roughly where the kick drum sits.

You’ll still hear the B. Much of what you hear there is at the first harmonic anyway. Many speaker cabs roll off around there anyway - here’s the response curve for a Fender Rumble 100 with the EQ flat:

(that mids scoop is also the Fender Sound that people associate with their amps)

Just Trim It :rofl:

4 Likes

Makes a lot of sense! Thanks, Howard!

4 Likes

Had no idea, never touch knobs other than input gain and volume, lol.
Will look into this.

4 Likes

I really like the Harris strings, thought I would give these a shot. No sense in setting up a bass to sound like another bass you’ve got

3 Likes