GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome (Part 1)

Oh eBay too. eBay already charged tax Anything over $600 in sales….Then you have to prove what you “profited” on the item and pay income tax as well. All sites have this if they can track the sale. Which is why I’m trying to it to sell on eBay or reverb.

The issue is as you say, they have no way to track what’s a store and what’s a person so they tax everyone and leave it to the individual to do creative tax accounting that won’t get them in trouble. It’s crazy.

3 Likes

Wow, wait does this count as income tax? Or different kind of tax? If income tax it’s 20-45% it’s a game changer for pricing.

2 Likes

Yes. Income tax.
My mom sells on eBay full time in her retirement.
Her brother in law is an accountant and does her taxes though, so he’s already said he will make it look like she took a loss. You have to somehow show what you paid for the items and subtract that from sales.

eBay will (like reverb) is now required to report all sales over $600 to the IRS as income to you.
Sell a bass for $1000 - taxed as $1000 in income. Show (via your pile of backup docs) you paid day $900 for it, taxed as $100 income. So now my mom keeps records of everything she spends on eBay (handwritten but still something).

I’m selling only on talkbass and Facebook (with no shipping or auto checkout etc) atm to avoid the whole ordeal.

4 Likes

Hey John, quick question. So does that mean you only do local pick ups? What are your preferred payment methods besides cash?

I want to get more into selling gear (as a hobby) but I’m trying to avoid the potential scams and hassles.

2 Likes

I will ship for sure but also do local pickups.
I try to price it so that shipping is covered and I can offer free shipping in CONUS. You just can’t set up shipping on Facebook cause then they will try to take a fee if it sells through Facebook, and then tax etc implications. Facebook allows you to transact through it. Don’t do it.

I take cash but prefer Venmo or PayPal with Al the no fee option. TalkBass rules state you must use a pay service and select goods and services so everyone is covered but then there is a fee so you have to price accordingly. TalkBass only lets you sell if you are a “member” which costs like $35 a year or something. I pay it cause I sell enough things and so far every transaction has been great (buying or selling).
Since I’m close to NYC I will also meet people around the area of the city and Jersey, which usually involves a bridge which is about the same as shipping in tolls.

4 Likes

Thanks for the tip!

I’m in the city myself. Whereabouts the NY area are you?

3 Likes

Westchester - Yonkers

3 Likes

Hey, guys! I figured this question belonged here. I have a buddy that has an early 80’s model P bass that he is wanting to sell. He will let it go for 300 bucks, which is super cheap. Which is why I’m tempted. Does anyone have any experience with the 80’s Mexican P bass? Is it something I should pick up?

6 Likes

That’s a great deal. Cheap mim usually start around $400 and go all the way up to $900. They are just as good as any fender you play, USA & MIJ. the difference will be feeling a little different.

2 Likes

Go for it. You can always sell it if you don’t gel with it.

3 Likes

14 times more expensive. Always fun to try and hear the difference (Hmmm).
Interesting that in the blindfold test neither were really confident which was the Custom shop i.e how good is the Classic Vibe? Pretty good!

7 Likes

I just got a Classic Vibe for my P bass, and I’m really happy. I did a bunch of changes to it, and am thinking of changing the tuners, but the body and neck are solid. Taking the gloss of the back of the neck made a world of difference.

5 Likes

Seriously, how many people can tell a 32 year old Glenmorangie from a $40 supermarket Whisky blindfolded and without cues?

1 Like

Well to be fair $40 is getting in to the range of decent bourbon and scotch.

2 Likes

Whiskey is actually one of the few type of drinks that is very specific with taste. For example I can taste the difference between a blend and single malt right away. And between single malts and blend I know how most brands tastes. It is a bit trickier with single malt and how long it aged, but I’m sure a fervid whiskey lover can taste it.

Or do I have a problem? :joy:

3 Likes

This is pretty common for developing tastes for things. My friend’s wife can tell you where in Japan her rice came from by taste.

I used to be the same with beer or coffee. Coffee is especially funny because blends are usually better than single origin, which hipsters cannot seem to process.

5 Likes

Exactly @howard just like Coke and Pepsi are the same :joy:

4 Likes

Here’s the top secret difference between the two, shhh…don’t tell anyone I’m telling you this…

The difference is….
One pays for saxes & basses, and the other one is crap.

4 Likes

I’ve started buying Pepsi, so in my small way I’m enabling your healthy habit :sunglasses:

4 Likes

It’s probably nothing to do with where they want to do business… what business doesn’t want to expand? But EU privacy laws are strict. Sweetwater has good customer service, but they keep a LOT of customer information to provide that service. My guess is it would be too hard for them make site/business model EU privacy compliant.

3 Likes