GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome (Part 1)

Thanks
Aesthetically wasn’t really my first choice, I have to say, but it had virtually all I wanted for a very reasonable price and generally good reviews. But now I’m starting to dig the look too

I am still figuring out the “playing” part, I cannot say much for sure. The TRBX504 I tested at the shop was ofc different due to the 4 strings instead of 5. There are some obvious coordination issues, but so far I like the neck on this.

On top of that it weights at least one kg less than the HB Jazz copy, shoulders and back already appreciate it :grin:

6 Likes

The looks are nice and the contours really make sense once you hold one!

I like the tone a lot more than a Jazz myself as well, but I generally just love humbuckers :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Can imagine that you would go for a lightweight 5 string. Those basses are kinda heavy!

2 Likes

The Harley Benton? Heavy it’s quite an understatement :rofl:

3 Likes

Man. If I wanted a Jazz… slightly beat up SBV-500 in Yellow for $395 USD:

https://jp.mercari.com/item/m57936598289

Needs a new pickguard but otherwise looks ok. Would match my blue SBV-550 nicely :rofl:

Alas, I don’t want a Jazz.

11 Likes

You know you can get humbucking JB pickups these days :wink:

7 Likes

Yep, and at all sorts off different pricepoints and voicings too.

4 Likes

Realized I did not answer this.
I am looking at a high hat and kick foot pedal but the ‘good ones’ are ~$300ish a pop, so want to see if that is a thing I find myself missing before buying it.

3 Likes

I like the color assignment, it really helps on a dark stage. The one thing I love about Alesis is how they love to stuff their instruments with features. In the case of a multi pad it’s a big huge plus. Although, I’m interested to see if you’d miss the pad and hit the button at the bottom sometimes. It is in the line if fire, lol.

I love my Roland spd30 but it seems to have half the features at more than twice the price.

2 Likes

LOL I didn’t knew something like this existed. This volume pedal has a built in tuner and volume interface. Pretty cool :sunglasses:

9 Likes

Ugh, that’s steep! I can see why you’d be waiting…

I always wanted a drum kit again, but don’t have the space for a full sized one; keeping an eye out for possible solutions…

4 Likes

Same here, I think this is a good compromise for sure.
I think a kick would make sense first as your arms are generally doing other things but that means coordination that I might not have, lol.

5 Likes

I’m not sure where you are located (U.S. or otherwise), but how were the import duties, taxes, etc. on this?

4 Likes

Canada. I bought it used from Japan on Ebay and paid zero import taxes plus free shipping. Sometimes you get lucky. But most of time with used gear I haven’t been charged.
New gear pretty much every time.
That thing is amazing for the size. 6 AA batteries and I was jamming on my back deck.
Nice range of inbuilt amp sound and effects.
A big thumbs up from me. There are lots of iterations so make sure you’re looking at the Bass cube version.

6 Likes

yeah that’s cool actually ! it can save some space on a pedalboard

5 Likes

Yeah, I haven’t played drums in years, but I used to play the kick with my foot :grin: On the other hand, most of the demos I have seen of the Alesis show them playing pretty much everything with sticks (there are a few who use pedals, though). So, I guess it’s all about getting used to playing a bit differently then “standard” (especially when pedals are 300 bucks a pop :crazy_face:)

Truth be told, for pure expressive freedom, a hi-hat pedal might be more interesting than a kick pedal.

4 Likes

hey @Barney, could you speak more about the Bass Micro Cube ? actually that’s something that could interest me. How about the effective power in pure clean tone ? would it be enough to play with a (relatively loud) dreadnough pick-played acoustic guitar, and a (relatively loud) singer ?

4 Likes

There is also the Phil Jones X4 Nanobass (35W)… double the price tag though!

4 Likes

I don’t tking the Phil Jones is battery powered ? which is what interests me mostly :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Ah, got it :grinning:

4 Likes