GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome (Part 1)

The Roland Cube is also battery powered

https://www.roland.com/nl/products/cube_street/

At home I use the Roland KC-220 for bass, guitar, synths and vocals. This one is also battery powered, but lacks power for playing outside imo.

https://www.roland.com/nl/products/kc-220/

I’m really happy with this setup that I am actually considering the KC-400. I use amp in a box pedals in front of it.

That PJ nano picks my interest too @joergkutter !

Remember that you can also work with a portable 240 volt batteries/generators. Those are kinda expensive though :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

I tried this thing, it is very very very quiet.
Not good for anything but you and a quiet enviornment and it near your head.
I went with the DG-120, awaiting it’s arrival.
The only disadvantage is no bluetooth but didn’t really need that anyway.
Not battery either but wasn’t looking for that.

If you want a Phil Jones battery option look at the older (now just used) Briefcase combo amps. THey will set you back around $500, but have big honkin’ batteries in them that are replaceable when they lose their charging ability.

3 Likes

That’s surprising! PJB has a reputation for excellent (and pricey) stuff…

I am not really in the market… the Waza Air is really fulfilling pretty much all of my needs away from my normal rig. But, thanks for sharing your experience!

3 Likes

yeah I’ve been searching for this exact model for months, but I’ve not been able to find a single one here in France :sleepy: it would have been a great solution for me, + I really like the weird shape and form factor. I could really spend $500 if I find one.

3 Likes

They pop up on GC all the time.

There are two red ones on reverb right now. One for $550.

You could see if one is willing to ship to you

2 Likes

I wonder if you could just use a golf cart battery with a normal amp, bypassing the initial transformer and regulator. 48V, about 1.5kWh. You’d need to transform the voltage though.

They weigh a lot (10-20kg or so) but would probably work.

1 Like

I guess shipping for an amp would be insanely expensive

that’s an interesting idea ! would need some engineering but, yeah, still a nice idea

4 Likes

Ooh. The 300W ICEPower class D power section looks like it would work with no voltage transformation - it expects 22-55V DC in :slight_smile:

https://icepoweraudio.com/buy/as-series/300a1/

3 Likes

yeah … add a good’ol Bass POD and that’s it !

3 Likes

Still would require some engineering - that’s a lot of current to manage. Probably will burn a couple up in the process. But it’s an interesting idea anyway :slight_smile:

3 Likes

yeah I agree :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi Laurent I just got home and did a little test. I ran it on the batteries and cranked the volume. I had to back off the volume on my P Bass as the amp was breaking up. But when I turned it down the sound was pretty loud. I ran a 10ft instrument cable and stood as far as i could away.

I’d say that If someone is playing an unmiked acoustic guitar you could keep up with them just fine.

But we have to be realistic about what 4 x 4" speakers at 5W will give you.

I’ve read a few threads over on TalkBass where they use smaller bass amps and a rechargeable laptop battery to power it. That would give you much more power but then it’s more hassle too. However based on your amp builds I’ve seen, I’m sure you could come up with an elegant solution to mount the laptop battery to the amp and carry it as one unit!

I bought it because I could sit on the deck / campsite and need nothing else. Built in battery compartment. Plus amp models, reverb etc.

Phil Jones Double 4 is pushing out 70W which would be way more volume.

6 Likes

thank you @Barney , the laptop battery is a great solution ! possibly the rational way to go, actually.

3 Likes

My name is Jason and i think i might have an acquisition problem… I mean, i’m not a gearaholic or anything… but last week i sold my AR-15 for GAS money.
Then this week, while on the hunt for MIJ Fender P’s, i stumbled onto this Reverb ad for an American Performer Precision and the seller accepted my $750 offer so fast that it makes me think there has got to be something really wrong with it.
The listing says, quote: Overall this is a really nice bass , the action is a bit high, and it needs a truss rod adjustment because there’s a curve to the neck . but the tr uss rod is in the most obnoxious place ever and you have to take the pic card off to get to it and when it comes to moving around electronics I simply don’t touch them. Everything works and has a nice Rosewood fretboard"

5 Likes

Hiding the truss rod with a pickguard is very “vintage”. I have the same issue with a local made bass (which I do love).

It’s a bit of a PITA but only when you do the setup yourself, you can always take it to a luthier. Adjusting the rod/action is only a few minutes work. The temperature in my house is stable so I almost never have to do rod adjustments.

Hope this helps!

4 Likes

It helps, thank you. I ran into a problem with my bank card at checkout & im not sure if that was an omen or just my card telling me to ease up some. So i haven’t paid for it yet, but my offer was accepted and i let the seller know whats happening.
If it’s truely just an adjustment that’s cool, i’m comfortable doing my own set ups. But the 'ol “if it seems too good to be true it is” thoughts are at play here and if its a broken truss rod that’s a different story.

4 Likes

To be honest I personally would always follow my gut feeling. If it doesn’t feel right I would cancel it, even if there is nothing wrong with the product.

6 Likes

Thanks! That’s solid advice. Im gonna sleep on it. I kinda think being my first Reverb order, or any bass purchase outside of my local GC, it’s always gonna be a gamble. Maybe the neck curve is a simple adjustment and i get a great deal on cool bass…maybe it’s a $750 boomerang hahaha!! Either way, i appreciate the reply & advice

6 Likes

100 internet quatloos to @Paul. Always trust your instincts when buying used. That and patience are the two main keys to the used market.

Even if you’re wrong and it turns out fine, there would always be that nagging “what’s wrong with it?” feeling.

6 Likes

If the truss rod is damaged or something else is wrong you are 100% protracted by reverb so I wouldn’t sweat it much.

To me it sounds like the guy doesn’t know much about setups ans you might get a really good deal.

7 Likes