GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome (Part 1)

@terb That statement gave me GAS and filled me with hope!

@howard I wouldn’t be surprised. I have some rudimentary plans written up for building low cost, high output instrument power supplies that’s secretly a plan to support my GAS.

4 Likes

Just as I’m communicating with a private seller about a black TRBX504, I stumble upon a dealer with a brown one in stock - ex-demo but looks mint.

The dealer is after virtually the same money - especially once I’ve added the shipping, and the only downside is that the private one can come with a hard case for £35 (about £90 new).

Gosh, the temptation to pull the trigger on the dealer sale is strong. The brown body is harder to gauge in photos, but it looks more like a sort of wood effect rather than that matte paint job they call ‘translucent’. Any thoughts?

6 Likes

Black will show smudges and fingerprints more than brown . . . :slight_smile:

Good luck with your GAS, @PeteP . . . :wink:

Cheers, Joe

5 Likes

That’s a good point. It’s odd that I wanted a Squier in Olympic White, but I don’t like the TRBX in white.

I cant get the dealer to shift on price, but tbh it’s a good price anyway.

5 Likes

Just my take, but… Choosing the right instrument is like choosing a mate… It’s look, feel, and beauty in ‘your’ eyes is what will keep you excited to play with it over and over again…

7 Likes

… and it’s not necessarily for all your life … :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

6 Likes

So true.

6 Likes

:rofl::rofl: Funny thing is… Every stringed instrument I have ever acquired, whether it be a gift, purchase, or built on my own, (I’ve never traded any)… I still have in my possession.

Well, other than one of my acoustic’s that I gave to my grandson last year to take lessons with…

4 Likes

yeah that’s funny. I’m the opposite : I had some guitars I was sure to keep for all my life, and I ended up selling or trading them. I don’t regret any, except a 93 Les Paul that was really exceptionnally good and that I sold (to a friend) for an insane cheap price. I could have kept this one. but, well, I’m not a Gibson guy.

anyway at this point the only piece of gear I’m pretty sure to keep is my yellow Tele.

for most gear, I’d say it’s like women, it comes and goes :joy:

6 Likes

Oops, I did it again.

I’ve paid using Paypal but the bass is still showing as in stock, but in fairness it’s not a well designed web site so it probably only gets updated manually. Either that or I’ll get a message and refund in the morning. For now though, I think this is mine (and yes, that’s the actual bass)…

trbx504%201

trbx504%202

trbx504%203

trbx504%204

trbx504%206

trbx504%207

14 Likes

looks pretty classy !

4 Likes

They’ve done a great job with the photos, that’s for sure.

The private seller had a nice hard case available too but the shipping meant I was going to be spend more, and though the case was a good price, I don’t need one right now so it’s £35 saved. That’s a new set of decent flat wound strings - or 3 sets of the cheap ones I currently enjoy.

Now all I have to do is sell my Peavey Millennium and Epiphone T-bird: how hard can that be when I live miles from any town?

3 Likes

not that hard if you have a camera and internet connectivity :grin:

3 Likes

NICE!! Now you just gotta go through the worst part of the transaction… WAITING FOR IT TO ARRIVE!!:sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Hopefully I should have it for the weekend. Thursday or Friday would be good days for delivery as my wife is out all day. I should be able to hang it on the rack in my study and she’ll probably never notice.

5 Likes

:joy:

2 Likes

Oooohhhh… Wow!! Obviously you like living on the edge @PeteP!! I tried doing this a few times and got caught every time… What I found works best for me is to have an “imaginary” friend who’s name is (I use the UPS drivers name - the Fed Ex driver is a female and her name wouldn’t work too damn good) that shows up every once in awhile when your wife isn’t around so that she hears you talking about him and his bass… This way when the bass arrives at your place and you put it in your study you will have a perfect alibi in case she happens to notice it… All you have to say is that your friend (use delivery driver name here) left it with you to play for awhile and that you might end up “trading” the ones you have for his if you like how it plays… This buys you time to sell off the ones you have and pay for the new one… No harm/no foul… And, it’s “mostly” true…:joy::joy::rofl:

7 Likes

She stands in the doorway of my study with her back to the guitar rack - I’m not sure she even knows what’s there.

We have more regular courier drivers than I have friends who visit, so that may be truer than I’d like.

Och, it’s not a big deal in the greater scheme of things. It’s not as if I’ve just dropped a grand on something she wouldn’t understand.

4 Likes

Ahhh that looks like a TRBX-504… a fine bass and victim of my GAS… (better it than my wife…lol) as I bought one as my second bass (my first was a IBANEZ Micro short scale).

Anywho…with that kind of scratch that you are spending on gear, I would re-focus that energy and spend the time practicing and hiring an instructor or two (after Josh that is…). Because if you dont you will GAS yourself out of the house :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Actually I have the TRBX-504 in black and it is more of a matte (satin) finish. No smudges…absolutely beautiful. But I love that brown as well.

5 Likes