GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome (Part 1)

Yeah was gonna say - the translucent black looks great.

That said, I would have gotten the brown one too, that’s the one I was looking at buying when my 604 turned up. Well done, @PeteP - it’s a great bass.

4 Likes

Awesome, @PeteP - you are going to be insanely glad for this one!!

Beauty :smile:

4 Likes

Got it, @faamecanic! . . . I was thinking it was gloss black . . . :wink:

All best, Joe

4 Likes

That’s a niiice looking Yamaha!

Speaking of GAS I think I may need a Stingray…
I need a Stingray, right? Yeah, of course I do.

7 Likes

Whew… you guys have more GAS money than I do…lol

What I want is a Geezer Butler signature Lakland ($4,000+ US)

Or to heck with it a Fodera would be nice…

Only a mere $8,000 US

LOL…that would be about as expensive as a divorce lawyer I would need if I showed up with either of these.

6 Likes

Lots of intersting stuff in that price range. Dingwall, custom shop Warwick, custom ESP’s, etc.

The ~$2k range is huge too, my latest discovery there is the Dingwall Combustion series.

5 Likes

@PeteP That is some fiiiine looking bass.

4 Likes

I really like the brown 504. I almost bought one. It’s a very good, understated look.

5 Likes

The notion of a brown bass didn’t appeal, but after seeing a few closer photos it’s grown on me. The black is gorgeous, but the 504 black finish looks like it would show minor scuffs really badly, and after buying several basses (over 35 years) based solely on price and looks, I thought it was time to take a more considered approach and leave the aesthetics to the side (mostly). Of course I should’ve taken my time and found one to try first, but as you all know, GAS doesn’t allow you to make rational decisions.

The update on my 504 is that it’s probably not going to be here until the weekend, and only if the courier delivers on Saturdays. It was quoted as ‘overnight’ delivery but it turns out to be an oversized item and bumped onto their ‘2-5 day schedule’. Frustratingly, it will probably still be at the depot 30 miles away by today but not put on a delivery route straight away.

5 Likes

The brown actually looks amazing in person, you’ll see. Subtle woodgrain shows through.

5 Likes

Yeah, that’s what I was starting to notice. Once again I end up with a bass that has a ‘wood’ finish. that’s why I bought the T-bird and the Peavey Millennium. Well at least it was only a distant secondary influence on the 504.

2 Likes

And red wine stains don’t show that easily :grin:

4 Likes

At home (so where I play bass) I’m more of a red wine drinker, but when I’m drinking while playing bass I revert to beer - like anybody is actually watching me!

5 Likes

Single Malt Scotch for me…:tumbler_glass:

4 Likes

Gosh. Look what I found. :hushed:

(that’s me, by the way)

17 Likes

Yay! How does she feel?

3 Likes

Glad to see it made it through to you, @PeteP . . . :slight_smile:

Congrats and good luck with it! :+1:

3 Likes

Not completely dissimilar to my Peavey, to be honest. About the same weight and the neck isn’t too different. I’m struggling with the round wound strings though so they’ll need changing, and the active controls will need some investigating, but boy can you tell the difference. I’ve only played it through my UMC22 so far, so I’m getting the sound quite ‘naked’. I’ll put it through the B1on later and see what else I can say.

Instant reaction though is; “I haven’t made a big mistake.”

Oh, and I love the brown: it’s almost like a solid mahogany or a claret with a satin sealing coat. Much nicer than I expected and I’m glad I didn’t get black.

5 Likes

Yeah it’s such a good color. I was the same as you, skeptical until I actually held one.

4 Likes

Woohoo, brings out the smile like nothing else :smile:

And, yeah, that color nicely complements your eyes, erm, hair, uh, well, you know… :grin:

Congrats!!!

6 Likes