GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome (Part 1)

I’m done buying gear. I have spent a bundle of money on pedals over the past couple of weeks. I really have to contain myself.

I’m swearing off gear acquisition, period. I’m done!

Oh look, someone has a DOD FX25B Envelope Filter for sale…

5 Likes

Hmm.

https://www.mercari.com/jp/items/m22060120720

Like new, about $100 off the new price, at about $310 (they are about ¥43000 new here with tax).

I don’t need a fourth preamp. I’d have to sell one, or two (since this has two), and given the ins and outs on this thing, probably reroute my board so it’s the central point for everything. Probably something like compressor, octave and dirt/drive go in to its first channel, which goes out to chorus and reverb, which goes in to its second channel, which goes out to the DAI. Or something like that. Comes with a sweet looking cab sim VST too.

Hmm. I could probably get something like $120 for the Battalion and the BDI-21.

Then again, I don’t want to sell those, and I don’t really need this.

Still, looks amazing and from vids sounds killer too.

Edit: nevermind, I can get one for $350 total new, shipped from sweetwater internationally. So, not such a good deal after all. Still, killer preamp.

3 Likes

@howard what is it exactly? The name and description is in Japanese.

1 Like

It’s a Two Notes Le Bass tube preamp.

3 Likes

Ahh here we go, here’s a playlist with a bunch of tube preamp reviews.

If you click to watch it on Youtube you get the full playlist.

2 Likes

I love the Ned Steinberger headless bass he’s playing in the demo. I wish I could afford one.

3 Likes

It’s actually a Strandberg Boden:

and yeah, not cheap. $3k-ish.

I really like Erik Arkö’s reviews. No BS and he covers the pedals well with lots of example tones.

2 Likes

Oh, I was under the impression that NS Design was the only company making headless basses. I do know that NS pioneered them.

2 Likes

Yep he sure did, and those are classics! Quite a few other headless basses out there now though.

2 Likes

Interestingly, Two Notes also makes a pedal enclosure for loading their IR sims that their VST uses. Neat little sim box:

You can use it both on your board and between an amp and a real cab, to make your cab sound like a different cab (or your amp like a different amp).

I always use amp/cab sims in the DAW but for those who don’t this would be cool, kind of like how some of the Darkglass preamps can load IR files, except to the next level.

4 Likes

There is a stamp on that Envelope, and it is in the post

2 Likes

i’ve seen this but never looked closely. wow is that expensive. cool though.

4 Likes

Yeah none of their stuff is cheap.

2 Likes

This does the similar to same thing, but I don’t think they have any DAW of their own, and not sure how many IR’s they make if any.

The unit is not cheap, but pretty reasonable, not too expensive for what it does. JHS pedals made a recent video on JOYO pedals, and he used this for the whole video, only telling you 1/2 way thru that you were not listening to an AMP like he would normally use.

I have the DarkGlass Alpha Omega Ultra, I can add IR Cab Sims, and I did load some SWR and Ampeg ones that were pretty cool.
TBH, I couldn’t tell the difference between any of the DarkGlass ones that are loaded on the pedal, and I can’t even really tell when they are on or off, but the 3rd party ones were cool.

IDK if I can add Amp sims to the DarkGlass, only Cab sims I think. I guess it could be cool to have a box like this one, or the Two Notes to add Amp sims also. I know there are some pretty good ones in the Zoom pedal, I just have not played with them too extensively.

As far as IR files for GB, I have not even tried. I mean, I know they have Bass Amps built in, and you can play with them, but I have not tried to download any extras, or even looked to see if any 3rd party IR files are compatible with GB?
Could be cool to play with and learn about if it is possible.

1 Like

You would probably need an IR Audio Unit plugin for GB. I recommend Ignite Amps NadIR.

That will work with any DAW that can load VST or AU plugins.

Their SHB-1 is a fantastic amp sim too. Love it.

2 Likes

Is this something that you could use on your board as well, or just part of the DAW like the DAI, or would this actually take place of the DAI?
And do you run your instrument thru this into the DAW, or is it something that sits parallel to the computer and only runs IN the DAW?

1 Like

Through what specifically? The Le Bass?

NadIR and SHB-1 are software plugins that run in the DAW. Audio Unit is a software plugin format.

2 Likes

Yeah, I didn’t get that at first, I thought you were showing hardware. I am not sure what I would be buying on this sight, is it any of the packs, they are all compatible with GB, you just download then and add them?

2 Likes

They are free downloads that you can install in GB or other DAWs. Most use VST, GarageBand uses AU. These provide both.

1 Like

This is one of the great things about modern DAWs, btw. So many awesome virtual instruments, effects, and sims.

2 Likes