GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome (Part 1)

What’s your current number of pickups to 50d bass ratio?

Which one is your favourite?

1 Like

I have 3 basses and 3 pickups right now, this would make 4 pickups

1 Like

Sorry, favorite is not determined yet. I’ve got a Stinger in the mail and an MIJ one I may install tonight if I’m feeling a okay after work

Health been slowing me down past few weeks but feeling okay now an hour from going home.

2 Likes

Watched a video of that. Sounded good.

2 Likes

@Wombat-metal

Don’t know if you’ve watched this review of a Stinger pup installed on a Sire D5, but here it is.

1 Like

Yes, I’ve seen the Lobster vid. All bow before the Lobster, god of Crustaceans. We implore him to grant us the pearls of his wisdom.

I’m not trying to copy the red clawed dude, but it does sound good. It was used by Dusty Hill and Sting, and the Duncan site does not show it for sale; the Custom shop has a stacked pickup, but they do not call it a Stinger nor refer to Dusty.

So- when I saw one on Reverb, I pulled the trigger

And here she is:

It’s a stacked humbucker, two coils placed on top of each other, or stacked. The second coil cancels the hum by its presence. It has a red and white wire which get soldered together, and then insulated. A bare and green wire which go to ground, and black which goes to volume.

Okay enough nerding out, but I find this cool stuff

4 Likes

Dreambass update. Just got the email from Long & McQuade. The replacement Steve Harris P Bass is ready, all set up and ready to go. Due to the mixup, I also got a spare set of SH strings free gratis.

4 Likes

Don’t know about any bowing, but I ran across this video and I enjoyed hearing back-to-back demos of the stock Sire D5 pup and a Stinger.

Yeah but 3 or 4 pups and 3 basses in which to put them. What to do, which goes where?

I need a 4th bass lol

3 Likes

Why not just pick one bass, like the D5, for example, and do a systematic swap and evaluation of each pup in that platform? Not only would that be fun and edifying, but it would also keep you too busy to blow more cash on another bass. At least for a while.

3 Likes

I think I will probably have the Stinger end up in the D5, cause we know that sounds good, the Fralin in the Squier, cause that’s a Dusty thing, and the Barden in the Tele. But trying them all in one bass might be interesting

2 Likes

In the guitar world, stacked coils are relatively common. you can find this kind of pickups on the Fender high end modern range like the MIA Deluxe instruments, for example.

Also one pickup brand that I love, Kinman, makes excellent stacks for decades. the current Fender stack pickups are actually copies of the Kinman design (where both coils have a very different geometry).

Stacks work as good as humbuckers considering the hum reduction, it’s very efficient. But in general, the price to pay is a lack of dynamics and often a colder tone. In general, but not always. There are really excellent stacks (like Kinman’s) that sounds just as good as very good single coils, with the benefits of an incredible signal to noise ratio. Jackpot.

3 Likes

This one has a very good rep, and all the vids of it sound good, like this one

1 Like

Serek’s B90 is also a humbucker with a ghost coil, I think.

1 Like

the Gibson P100 is a P90 with a stacked coil (and it sounds pretty bad actually)

1 Like

I bet. The P90 sounds good on its own (and I really like it for a single coil) but I don’t think I would add another coil to it.

I use a Behringer 1204USB as my DAI - used on eBay under $100. Tons of things I like using a mixer that I hadn’t anticipated - but being able to use the 75hz cutoff and the british EQ on the backing track for instance really helps me hear myself in the mix. Being able to hard pan is another technique I use when I really need to hear what I’m doing but still want the backing track for timing, etc. One dial adjustment to use studio monitors vs headphones. And way more expandable than I’ll ever need.

3 Likes

Regarding the Joe Barden Pickup

• It’s shipped. Yay, that was quick. Usually a pickup ordered directly from a manufacturer takes a bit. This is great

• They didn’t yet provide a tracking number. Boo.

Stinger news - it fits nicely in the cavity on the Squier. No modifications needed, which I expect they would for the D5 if all the internet reports are correct, which they must be because the inteweb does not lie.

1 Like

I’m GASing for this 30" scale neck I found on Amazon for $75… because I have ideas :eyes:

5 Likes

You’re the 35" bassist though lol.

1 Like