GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome (Part 1)

That smell does kill one’s appetite for sure.

6 Likes

Ostrich is amazingly good. Used to get it at a Brazilian restaurant (that wasn’t Churrasco). It tastes like a really good lean steak.

4 Likes

This might be the coolest NBO I’ve ever seen. Every detail has just the right vibe.

1 Like

People never fail to suprise me. Post some gear here and you might get a couple of likes or sometimes a random comment. Post a picture of a cat and it goes crazy.

4 Likes

I FINALLY put a pedalboard together rather than having random pedals strewn all over my living room floor like a Lego build in progress. (Oww!)

Signal chain is:

1. Empress Buffer+
  2. EHX Bass Mono Synth
  3. Diamond Bass Comp Jr.
  4. Cusack Screamer Bass Fuzz
  5. Volume attenuator
  6. BYOC Bass Chorus
  7. Providence Chronodelay
  8. Gamechanger Light Pedal (+ exp. pedal)
  9. Mute pedal
  10. back into the Buffer

Not pictured:

• Rotating cast of 3 vintage-style fuzzes that squeeze in before the buffer
  • Quilter Interbass mini head

I know it’s a little messy, a bit of a spaghetti dinner, but this soft pedal board bag (from EHX) was super affordable, only about $60CAD, and I’m only playing at home (thank you, pandemic), so what the heck. Baby steps. Happy for now!

14 Likes

CATTO <3

1 Like

NICE - I love the Light pedal, one of my faves.
Sadly, I am awaiting #3 (#1 and #2 both had issues that required warranty replacement.
Thankfully, the gents at Gamechanger are super super helpful.

3 Likes

Mind if I ask what they issues were? I suppose it’s not super surprising, since it has more moving parts than your average pedal. Glad to know they’re good to deal with! That information may come in handy.

2 Likes

Beauty!!

And that’s why we call them Noise Legos!

1 Like

Yes!! Little bit Lego, little bit Tetris.

2 Likes

When I got the pedal it was very early on in their production.
What was happening was when the pedal (and board, thanks Alexa) powers up, the Light pedal did not allow the signal to pass through. You had to cycle the bypass foot switch on and off then it was fine.
If you left the tails/trails effect on, this issue did not happen.
The light pedal has this feature that when you hit the bypass you can allow the pedal to have the effect ‘tail/trail’ off vs just coming to a complete stop.
Most pedals with this feature have a switch to turn tails/trails off, which the Light pedal does.

Somehow, somewhay, this tails/trails circuit causes lots of trouble (as you will see below, and not just for Gamechanger)
The good folks at Gamechanger realized they made a bunch of pedals with this problem (after my replacement had the same issue) and had to scurry around to fix it. It was how they originally designed it but did not thing about this use case with the tails off being an issue (it is).
They built / rebuilt the pedal with an updated circuit to fix the issue.

The current issue I am awaiting replacement on is that the pedal is adding noise to the signal chain in bypass (hey, isn’t bypass, well, bypass?).
This was not happening prior and started out of the blue.
I thought I was going nuts hearing noise (that wasn’t there before) and trying to find the source.
Turns out, there were actually two sources!

I have another pedal that suffered the same problem, Walrus Audio’s Lore pedal.
Was quiet in bypass then after some time of use, started leaking noise.
Sent for repair, and guess what the culprit was… the tails/trails circuit!!! Bum bum buuuuum!
A circuit boad was replaced, boom, fixed.
Turns out if you turn off trails/tails mode, the issue goes away.
It is almost like this mode is electronically leaky and these pedal guys have not designed things robust enough, and they fail.

So, back to the second issue on the Light pedal.
It went back to Sweetwater for ‘repair’ even though Gamechanger said ‘warranty replacement’. And it is sitting in the queue now awaiting a ‘fix/replacement’ processing.

So, I learned something from this experience…

1. Be cautious of brand new to the market pedals, they aren’t always perfect (I ordeder the LORE before it even was shipping, Light Pedal same thing).
  2. Pedal guys make mistakes too, thus version 2 of things, etc.
  3. Pedals are quirky
4 Likes

Speaking of pedals, I went by to L&M today and ordered this little bad boy:

I guess GAS springs eternal. OTOH, since I bought my dream bass, I went into the bass section, looked around and I didn’t even feel like trying anything, let alone buying. I wonder how long this will last.

10 Likes

Oh my gosh! Mine does this (leaking noise in bypass) and I thought that’s the way it was designed & I just had to put up with it. I’ll have to look into a repair.

3 Likes

I finally got my Empress buffer yesterday (hence pouncing on the pedalboard) and I cannot believe how well built it is. Every detail. Even the rubber feet are higher quality than most pedals. Will definitely be considering them for future purchases…

4 Likes

This is a real thing.

I’ve owned several different basses, including a vintage Rick and a vintage Jazz. But since I got my two dream basses (with different but complementary tones), they’re in daily rotation and I don’t lust for any other.

3 Likes

I’m hoping to have that experience soon! I got what I thought was my dream bass last year and it’s incredible. Then I found Stingrays and now I’m on a 5 string kick. Contemplating getting rid of a bunch of my 4 strings for a Bongo or a USA made G&L with some custom extras. But I’m closer than I was!

4 Likes

This happened with me & pedals for about 6 months when I finally got my hands on a Providence Chronodelay - a very special bright pink delay pedal - digital, but with a very analogue BB feel - that allows you to dial in specific BPMs. It helped that I bought it from a retired guitarist who used to play with a local/regional blues legend. It felt like the holy grail for a long time, and still sorta does - the only digital pedal that’s “allowed” in my signal chain. :wink:

3 Likes

Just called Long & McQuade! Still under warranty. Will take it in today before they close. THANK YOU. You’ve possibly saved me a lot of trouble down the road.

3 Likes

Agreed. I’m at the point now that I want to start building my project bass again (fretless HH frankenjazz) and my new planned build: a double P (with :hamburger: :hamburger: I traded nuggets for with @Wombat-metal ). But that will be only after I move and set my workshop up again.

3 Likes

Whoops, that was supposed to be a response to @MikeC, not to myself. :crazy_face:

3 Likes