GAS - Gear Acquisition Syndrome (Part 1)

Why would anyone hate? Squire played a Rick. So did Sir Paul. Classic profile for a bass. Unique sound.

9 Likes

But no chrome and 5 string?

5 Likes

I love it, but you already know that

6 Likes

Who cares about what others think? That is a mighty fine bass. GAS away!

7 Likes

Well said. Go with what GASses you :rofl:

6 Likes

I don’t think you will find any hate for that bass on this site. I’ve read a lot of posts from people that have a Ric on their bucket list. I think that many people don’t invest because it is not as versatile as other options, but owners (@Ed , @John_E ) may disagree with me. I want a natural mahogany one :heart_eyes:

6 Likes

This just popped up on FB marketplace near me. 8x10 Cab. What would that weigh?

8 Likes

Ouch! 1976 probably 60-80lbs lol. The newer ones are probably half that.

5 Likes

That is truly oldskool. Given the age it looks still mint.

3 Likes

Ooo nice - is it a 4003s? I love it :+1:@AnotherJosh . Although I’d probably go for the traditional design over this one persoanlly - I guess having a vintage style instrument is like owning a vintage car with all its quirks - not so good for the shopping run but great fun at the weekend :wink:

6 Likes

At least 140lbs I imagine, based on current specs. It could be like 200lbs from that vintage lol…

My dude, according to Sweetwater these cabs today range from 137-165lbs :joy:

7 Likes

If I had to sell all my basses but one, the Rick would be the one I keep.

6 Likes

Wah Ha Ha! That’s my weight and @John_E combined, lol.

5 Likes

A new 8x10 weighs 75kg according to Thomann. That would be 165 lbs. Add another 36 kg for the head… I hope you can afford roadies :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Buy it and start your own studio - you’ll never have to move it :wink:

6 Likes

Then maybe I’m the only one… I wouldn’t say I hate Ricks, but I definitely don’t like the way they look. The dimensions just seem weird to me.

7 Likes

You can add me to the list. Ricky Bakers don’t appeal to me. I can say with 100% certainty I will never purchase one.

4 Likes

I bought a red Rick 4001 because McCartney played one. It was cool enough looking, but it just wasn’t the sound or ultimate bass for me. I traded it.

5 Likes

I’m torn on them. I think they look amazing, sound great, but I will never buy a bass that heavy and if I did that bridge would be the first thing to go.

4 Likes

Sometimes they are available in the low 8lb range which would be desireable. I play mostly standing up, and anything much over 9lbs becomes a burden after awhile.

4 Likes